Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 12:05 am

Do you need exercise to lose weight?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 12:29 am

being at a healthy weight is a sign of good health and healing. if you are in good health, then it is natural to want to do some exercise. but exercise itself is not a reliable way to lose weight if one eats too many refined carbs and not enough proteins in their diet, or is under major stress, both of which cause visceral body fat accumulation.
what worked for my own weight loss was to give up wheat, barley, rye, oats, sugar, bread, crackers, donuts, gravies, white rice, white corn, white potatoes, and replace those things with-
G=Greens
B=Beans/Berries
O=Onions
N=Nuts
G=Garlic
S=Seeds
i get most of my veggies in liquid form like in V8 juice but i also eat a large salad as the main meal of the day. i deter hunger by drinking lots of no-calorie flavored waters.
i stuck with this diet in some or another form for several years now, the weight came off and stayed off. my joints feel better without having to haul all that weight around.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 12:38 am

No. Just eat less.

But, if you exercise a lot, you can replace fat with muscle and look thinner without losing weight!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 12:40 am

cutting carbs and increasing input of water and greens is a time-tested method of quickly losing weight. if you gently but firmly exercise major muscle groups such as your legs and arms and back/chest, that will increase your metabolism and weight loss will become a bit easier. muscle sucks up calories.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 12:47 am

Exercise raises metabolism (even when not exercising), it also increases muscle mass, which also raises metabolism.

No, you don't need to exercise to lose weight, but it helps.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 2:06 am

What new information about weight loss is there. I thought exercise alot & eating right was the key to losing. But I don’t cook, but I’m trying to cut down on bread, I’m also drinking more water, for two days, I drank 6 cups, drinking more water helps with my bladder since I have a bladder problem. It can help with my Psoriasis too.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 5:53 am

Order less food. Spend more time eating rather than eating it quickly.
Get away from the habit of cleaning your plate.
Go to places that sell more reasonable portions.
A Japanese sushi restaurant rarely has extra large portions of everything.

potatowaffle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jan 2024, 5:19 pm

I lost 100 lbs without much exercise and kept it off for 4 years. In my experience it's 80% diet.
I think of exercise as good for heart health, maintaining mobility as you age and mental health.

I started gaining some fat about a year into the pandemic because I let my good eating habits unravel due to depression.

I never limited carbs when I lost my 100 lbs, in fact I ate a lot of carbs from healthy whole foods such as potatoes, beans, rice and fruit.

However you decide to get there, you have to be in a caloric deficit. You can do that with or without exercise. Just know that intense exercise will increase the appetite.

One thing I regretted about the first time around losing that 100 lbs is not including much strength training. I lost a bunch of muscle along with the fat.

This time around I'm in a slight caloric deficit so I'm not hangry all the time, and I do 3-5 days a week of strength training (30-40 minutes each session). I'm slowly gaining muscle and slowly burning off fat. Again, diet is 80% of this. The strength training is helping me gain a small amount of muscle instead of losing a bunch of muscle.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 7:43 am

I lost 114LBS by fundamentally changing everything in the diet, tracking the good to keep it below 1500 calories a day and 600 calories of exercise up the 3 times a week. I’d needed to take a look again at the lifestyle in general after suffering from fatty liver disease and diabetes over 13 years ago now. But after a bad fall and docs finding high blood pressure and blood clots with poor healing, that had been the motivation to get started properly.

That’s not necerrerly a need for cook or prep food, it could be ready meals that are low calorie, low to no added sugar, carbs, fat, sat fat, high fibre, moderiate protein, no snacks, no alcohol, no smoking, more exercise, improving fluid intake, 3 set meals with fruit snacks every day. My breakfast if formally suitable for me to increase the intake of B12 complexes, as that always came back as deficient.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 4:01 pm

^^^ :wtg:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 12:12 pm

Cutting carbohydrates down in your diet will do a lot more for weight loss than any exercise.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 1:13 pm

Yeah. Bread especially.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 2:01 pm

babybird wrote:
Yeah. Bread especially.

Definitely!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 2:11 pm

I love cake me. I wish I could just stuff my face with it everyday all day but if I did I'd be the size of a house

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 2:21 pm

babybird wrote:
I love cake me. I wish I could just stuff my face with it everyday all day but if I did I'd be the size of a house

:lol:

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 4:59 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
babybird wrote:
Yeah. Bread especially.

Definitely!

I've heard that white bread is worse than wholemeal bread. Something about the fibre slowing down the carbohydrate absorption. So I'd go for wholemeal if you like it. It might also protect you a bit from colon cancer, which is a nice bonus. I baked a white loaf once and it was very nice, but I didn't do it again because I don't want cancer or obesity.