Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 12:11 am

We’re okay for power here in BC. The Site-C dam is getting ready to go live.. but even at max power generation we still need to buy power from elsewhere in large part because of all the Teslas. More EV’s in Vancouver than anywhere else in Canada and we can’t build dams for hydroelectric power fast enough to keep up. Not sure what the grid supply solution will be.. more hydro? Solar? Wind? Nuclear?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 12:33 pm

My guess is that it would push the need for more nuclear power as a sustainable energy source in the future. While it does have drawbacks, nuclear can generate large amount of electricity without major interruptions if done correctly.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 12:41 pm

I'm hoping fusion energy can be a viable source some day.

I'll take your power grid over ours any day of the week.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 2:10 pm

Nuclear, fusion.. maybe someday ?

BC has signs up declaring us nuclear energy free. I wonder if they might change their minds someday.

If Alberta's power grid goes down a lot more people will likely die than in Texas.. maybe. Hard to say. Homes are at least built for the cold, but still.. -50 or whatever is damned cold.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 4:14 am

So BC is being done in by electric cars?

They could always...switch back to the internal combustion engine...and then join the US in conquering the ...Muslim Arab nation of your choice...to maintain a supply of oil.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 4:16 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I'm hoping fusion energy can be a viable source some day.

I'll take your power grid over ours any day of the week.

Not within your lifetime, nor the lifetime of your grandkids. If EVER.

But they could switch to already extant nuclear fission.

But then...BC, like Japan, is part of the circumpacific earthquake and Tsunami zone.

So...maybe not.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 8:34 am

goldfish21 wrote:
BC has signs up declaring us nuclear energy free. I wonder if they might change their minds someday.

Why would a government brag about such a thing?

BTW there are currently 21 new nuclear power plants under construction in China.

I guess BC really is run by 80-year-olds with long white ponytails hanging behind their broad-brimmed leather hats.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 8:57 am

Did you ever see the TV show Travelers? The action took place in BC. Maybe this is where it starts.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:17 am

naturalplastic wrote:
So BC is being done in by electric cars?

My mom told me she read that last year we imported power to make up shortfalls and that even as the new $10B site-C dam opens up, we already use more power than it can generate and will continue to import power.. not sustainable in the long run so we'll have to generate more electricity somehow.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:18 am

MaxE wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

BTW there are currently 21 new nuclear power plants under construction in China.

I guess BC really is run by 80-year-olds with long white ponytails hanging behind their broad-brimmed leather hats.

You do know that Vancouver is the birthplace of Greenpeace, right?

Probably has a lot more to do with hippies as to why it started than earthquake zones. But maybe both.

I can't remember where I saw those signs so not sure if they're still up.. I can't remember if I've ever seen one in the city, or if they're on the highways as you enter BC from Alberta.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:20 am

MaxE wrote:
Did you ever see the TV show Travelers? The action took place in BC. Maybe this is where it starts.

I don't think I've ever heard of it. No idea when it's from, either.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:40 am

goldfish21 wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Well apparently, in Canada it can be seen on a service called Showcase. I saw it on Netflix here. It was produced 2016 - 2018 entirely in Vancouver and environs AFAIK. Stars Eric McCormack and other people I'm not familiar with. I suppose you weren't yet working in the film industry when it was produced, or you'd have heard of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelers_(TV_series)

So the premise has to do with travelers from a future in which Earth's remaining population lives in some sort of underground habitat which I suppose is slowly failing (needless to say, the rest of the planet is uninhabitable). As all the action takes place around Vancouver, I would assume that, if the traveling basically takes place temporally, then the habitat must represent the Vancouver of the future, which is what made me think of it.

EDIT it's a very highly-regarded show, by the way, rated 8.0 on IMDb which is nothing to sneeze at.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 2:55 am

MaxE wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Well apparently, in Canada it can be seen on a service called Showcase. I saw it on Netflix here. It was produced 2016 - 2018 entirely in Vancouver and environs AFAIK. Stars Eric McCormack and other people I'm not familiar with. I suppose you weren't yet working in the film industry when it was produced, or you'd have heard of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelers_(TV_series)

So the premise has to do with travelers from a future in which Earth's remaining population lives in some sort of underground habitat which I suppose is slowly failing (needless to say, the rest of the planet is uninhabitable). As all the action takes place around Vancouver, I would assume that, if the traveling basically takes place temporally, then the habitat must represent the Vancouver of the future, which is what made me think of it.

EDIT it's a very highly-regarded show, by the way, rated 8.0 on IMDb which is nothing to sneeze at.

Interesting. Never heard of it. Wasn't doing any work in film at all then and still that's on hold until the industry re-starts after the strikes. Also, I almost never watch TV/Netflix etc so wouldn't have seen or heard of Most shows.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 6:03 am

MaxE wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Many locales would brag about being "nuclear free" for decades if they had a strong "Green" constituency and were in fact free of nuclear plants. And that was especially true right after the Fukishima disaster (three mile island, and Chernoble didnt help win popularity for nuclear power either).

The whole nation of Germany vowed to stop building nuclear plants after Fukishima.

But yes...now popular opinion is slowly swinging back to liking Nuke power (its carbon free).