The First Cold Weather of the Winter Season

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 9:49 am

This morning the temperature dropped to -0.6 degrees F or -17.44 degrees C. It is cold outside. There is a few inches of snow that has fallen on our driveway and I will soon leave my home and clean the snow off. But I have a long driveway and it is very cold outside.

My daughter bought me a hand warmer. It is a very complex system. It is called a ororo "Calgary" Heated Gloves". After my severe stroke around 3 years ago, I lost my ability to read but not my ability to write. It is strange how the brain contains many parts that perform various functions.

As a result of my stroke, I lost around 20% of my brain. It went off line. But I was able within the first several months to recover much of this back. So permanently I lost a total of around 2% of my brain cells. Those appear to be lost forever. But in a way it was a little like cleaning up lost space. Because I have found that I was able to fill up the void with more information. So I have explored giant regions of information and delved into many strange areas of how humans are constructed. We are a very strange species with many different beings inside us. Some exist during our REM and NREM sleep state. Others exist during daytime life. Some humans died during the first 12 years of their life and came back switching their primary brain. It is a left side/right side of the skull brain flip. Normally the left side is dominant. But when we die prematurely, one experiences a brain flip. Many of the people on Wrong Planet feel they are living in a strange world. The reason why is because we have experienced a brain flip. Our night time brains are in charge and they are very different then the brains of NTs.

So I will go out soon and see if I can figure out how to use this extremely awesome hand warmer. So far I believe I have succeeded in assembling it together and it is now on charge mode. We will see it I can get it started. After all it is below zero and it would be nice to keep my hands from freezing when I go outside.

Well I am about to leave my home and go out into the cold world. And if all goes well my hands will not turn to ice. I like my hands. I have to keep them warm.

If you live in cold climates, what is your cold temperature today?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 2:11 pm

I spent 3 hours outside in the frigid cold. But I was warm (except for my face). I have clothes that were designed for the cold and I didn't even feel the cold. I cleaned off around 500 feet of snow from my driveway.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2024, 2:19 pm

jimmy m wrote:
I spent 3 hours outside in the frigid cold. But I was warm (except for my face). I have clothes that were designed for the cold and I didn't even feel the cold. I cleaned off around 500 feet of snow from my driveway.

You are one stout individual...! -4 F this morning and not going up ... yes, if using energy and dressed right , have been able to get outside to do physical stuff..but mind you , am only doing 1/2 hour at a time these days .
And that is one long driveway... hope you had equipment to help clear snow ..? :ninja:
Always end up looking like Kenny ,from the South Park Cartoon, when i go out these days.

where ever you go ,there you are

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 8:39 am

Well it was even a little colder this morning. It dropped down to -2.2 degrees F (-19 degrees C) this morning. But there was no new snow.

I use several different ways to clean off the snow from the driveway. When there is light snow, such as an inch or two, I use a battery powered air blower.
If the snow has hardened and cannot be blown, then I use a snow shovel and move the snow by hand.
But when the snow really gets thick (a foot or two think), I use a snow blower, and once or twice up and down the hill, I clean off a mountain of snow.

But when I use the snow blower I need to start it using A/C electricity the first time. So I need to know in advance that a major storm is coming so I can move the device into the garage.

So presently it is cold but the snow fall is mild, and I can do it by hand.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 10:22 am

Last night it snowed a little bit. In the morning the temperatures fell to +3.2 degrees F. I went out and blow the snow off the driveway this morning. I went out early at the crack of dawn and blew it so that it would not have a chance to harden up. Beginning tomorrow they predict that the temperatures will rise a little and this frigid cold will end.

Again not much snow but boy it sure is cold outside.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 3:14 am

jimmy m wrote:
Last night it snowed a little bit. In the morning the temperatures fell to +3.2 degrees F. I went out and blow the snow off the driveway this morning. I went out early at the crack of dawn and blew it so that it would not have a chance to harden up. Beginning tomorrow they predict that the temperatures will rise a little and this frigid cold will end.

Again not much snow but boy it sure is cold outside.

Yes..Yes .. indeed ,, it will feel like Sumner at 32f ( 0 C)...Gaak ... The idea of getting used to below 0 F degrees,
then appreciating when it gets up to freezing ..Kinda makes my face krinkle . :|

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 8:54 am

The temperature last night dropped to - 0.2 degrees F. This happened around midnight. But the weather report indicates we will see a little warming this week which will start tomorrow.

When the snow falls on the ground and covers it. The birds have nowhere to find food. So to lend a helping hand I have a few bird feeders. I only use them for a few days when there is total snow cover. So I put the food out and the birds magically appear during this time. This morning a woodpecker came by and ate a little of the food I left for them.

Our woodpecker stays around when the weather gets nice and keeps the insects away. They are one of the most wonderful birds that live near me. They are beautiful and hard working. They will kill thousands of insects each day. During the day you can hear them striking the trees. The only strike trees that are rotten and filled with insects.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 3:43 pm

About two years ago..woodpecker thought my house was old wood and decided for three days to keep me alert ..
But knew they are good bug getters . Have squirrels so setting up the right feeder with capsacum pepper in the feed, So Squirrels , leave it alone ....My squirrels are fun to watch.. but little greedy and a bit distructive. :roll:
Figures they might be squirrelcicles by now , too . :mrgreen:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 4:55 pm

We have many squirrels. They are very fast and fly along like the wind. But a woodpecker is a special bird.

Last night we had 2 to 3 inches of snow. I got up first thing and blew the snow off our driveway. I was able to get the gasoline power snow blower started and it really helped to clean the driveway. The temperature is around 15 degrees F. We will have two days of cold and then it will start to warm up and the snow will disappear.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 6:36 pm

I fixed my big snowblower so we have been having a very mild winter. Lowest temperature has been 15 degrees Fahrenheit and the total snow fall has 5++3+1 or eight inches of snow.

Good to hear that you have recovered from your stroke well enough to use a snowblower!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 8:41 am

BTDT wrote:
Good to hear that you have recovered from your stroke well enough to use a snowblower!

Thanks. It is hard to recover when about 2 percent of your brain cells are destroyed by a stoke. Luckily it primarily affected the simple words like cat and dog. I went around for about 6 months calling my dog, "Here Kitty, Kitty." He must have thought I was crazy.

But on the other side, it probably freed up some space for storing more data. It is very strange all the new interesting things that I have explored since my stroke. "Round 2 of COVID which is caused by a bacteria infection rather than a virus", "How the human brain is constructed - our brains are unique compared to other living creatures because we have two different sides. One on the left and one on the right with a little connecting tissue in between. As a result we have multiple people living inside us.", "what steps to follow when bacteria infections become antibiotics resistant - it is a physicist/engineering approach. This is important because one of the most common bacteria infections, the one that strikes small children is currently underway in China."

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 9:00 am

It was a cold night last night. The temperature dropped down to - 4.5 degrees F. (-20.28 degrees C). But luckily it was warm inside the house. I put in extra bird seed in the bird feeder yesterday. So we have many birds around trying to survive the extreme cold. I understand we have a warm spell coming. My wife has the snow shovels at the entrance way into the house "just in case we encounter another cold snap this winter".

We have many large windows in our home. We had new Pella windows put in a few years ago. Originally around 50 years ago when we built our home we had used Pella windows. They have made many improvements to their design. Being inside my home in these frigid temperatures, one can hardly tell the extreme cold that is right outside, on the other side of the windows.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 9:07 am

It is great that you have those windows. I'm sure it helps lower the cost of heating the house.

I have a sun room that used to be heated with electric heat. Very expensive.
I realized if I closed the door and left it unheated during the winter I could save on both electricity and oil bills!
Utility bills have been coming down as I figure out stuff like that!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 2:38 pm

TWO degrees here... And yes it is so lovely to be able to look out the window ...And still be Warm .... :heart:
Makes for homey type feelings , i think , Looking at tbe pretty snow covering all the other things up for a season .
Then electric heating ..." yes "oh so drying out on the skin , especially at night. :( 8O
Took me years to learn that running at least a small humidifier near my head . Helped many things ..Even skin too .
Nobody tells you these things , Am pretty sure , i might have been less ill during many of the winters,I have been through .Constant exposure to extra dry aire after a fashion , seems to tax a persons lungs , especially as you age ..
But these are just my experiences. :D

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 11:37 am

Jakki wrote:
" yes "oh so drying out on the skin , especially at night. :( 8O
Took me years to learn that running at least a small humidifier near my head . Helped many things ..Even skin too .
Nobody tells you these things , Am pretty sure , i might have been less ill during many of the winters,I have been through .Constant exposure to extra dry air after a fashion , seems to tax a persons lungs , especially as you age ..
But these are just my experiences. :D

It took me a long time to figure this one out myself. But if you keep the humidity level during the cold winter above 10 percent, it really helps keep you free from becoming sick during the winter. A little humidity goes a long way.

This morning I think it was one of the coldest days of this year. The temperature dropped down to -5.8 degrees F (-21 degrees C). But now the temperature is beginning to rise and the heat will return to the Earth. We are going into a warm spell.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 2:54 pm

even more interesting about humidifiers your suppose to use distilled water in the ultrasonic humidifiers... :idea:
but other humidifier benefit, in longer lifespan if you use the same type of distilled water :!: ..just btw ,from my experience. :D