Question about better alternative name for IDD

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:48 am

I think that the current term is the best term. It's the least hurtful.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 11:58 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think that the current term is the best term. It's the least hurtful.

That makes sense, it's just that I was afraid that the stigma attached to it might be kind of similar, like in the past.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 12:00 pm

Any word can become tainted by discrimination if a word is used in certain ways, say, as an insult or as a mocking term.

The word gay for example is just a regular word but it can be used as an insult.

Like others have said, words like ret*d once were not necessarily laced with the undercurrent of being insulting, but times change and people dirty words and their meanings.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 12:02 pm

It makes sense, I agree.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 9:41 am

Quote:
Can you explain it more? It's interesting.

I have some problems with "making text", organising it, with executive function, so describing what I think may be not so easy for me :(

I would say that there may be parameters like, for example, "mental stability IQ", "emotional and personality maturity IQ", "spiritual IQ", "pain and difficulty tolerance IQ" which may be profoundly low in part of individuals with ASD or PDD, even when verbal IQ and (or) performance IQ are well above average in certain individuals, which makes these very bright intellectually persons severely handicapped in everyday life, especially in adulthood (where intellectual giftedness may do not have positive impact on the amount of earned money or eventually even living independently at all).

I was good or even very good in scholastic skills but I fail miserably in the area of "adult" competency.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 7:29 pm

That makes sense.