Does caffeine make you sleepy, not alert?

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Feb 2024, 2:10 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I had a Monster to drink on Friday. I took a nap 10 minutes after I finished the can. I guess that I could say it makes me sleepy. Coffee on the other hand makes me very hyper. I get as high as a kite off just one cup of coffee.

Exact opposite for me. Coffee = Sleepy
Monster drinks give me energy.
A cowboy introduced me to Red Bull and Vodka in the late 90’s
What a combination. Too old to attempt now :)

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Feb 2024, 2:17 pm

[quote="jamie0.0"]Yes, I like to drink coffee at night just before bed because I find coffee to be relaxing and sedating. It's been that way since I was 13.

Lately been drinking coffee before bed and I go out like a light. Manage to stay awake in the daytime through sheer force of will. Love the taste of coffee, and also a good Earl Grey.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 3:59 pm

This is a hard one to say, about caffiene for me, I get a tolerance to caffiene easily but if I stopp for four days , my tolerance goes way down . But often taperring off a few days . Then complete stop for four days . "Tapering off"" helps keep the dull achey headache I usually get with stopping caffiene .. :cheers:

where ever you go ,there you are

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Feb 2024, 4:54 pm

Jakki wrote:
This is a hard one to say, about caffiene for me, I get a tolerance to caffiene easily but if I stopp for four days , my tolerance goes way down . But often taperring off a few days . Then complete stop for four days . "Tapering off"" helps keep the dull achey headache I usually get with stopping caffiene .. :cheers:

I get that dull throbbing headache from caffeine withdrawal too. Used to call them weekend headaches. My legs throb/ache after too much alcohol the next morning but not my head. Haven’t encountered anyone other than myself with that particular reaction.

P.S. I love Velcro too. Still have a hard time tying shoes, knots, and you can forget about neckties entirely.
Daughter had to teach herself how to tie her shoes because I couldn’t.
Son had his Dad teach him.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 6:47 pm

Velcro is Gawds ( insert your choice of diety here) Gift to the LESS dexterous of US on this planet ....

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2024, 9:43 am

Sylvan Esso ~ Coffee

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2024, 9:51 am

Last night one cup of coffee did what a half bottle of Cabernet couldn’t — Put me right to sleep.

8:00 is considered late to me. :)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 3:17 pm

Not long before I was diagnosed I had a horrible time trying to sleep and awful anxiety. I tried cutting back on caffeinated tea and tried everything else other than taking sleeping pills. before those things are dangerous and terrifying, but nothing worked. I drink caffeinated tea now, but no matter what I will never sleep like a normal human being. Even with the medication I do every night take to help me sleep, it took me forever fall asleep just last night and then I slept in until 3 pm. A typical day.

I never thought caffeine could have the opposite effect on autistic people. But then again, most medications the head shrinkers have prescribed me did the total opposite of what they were supposed to do, or gave me awful side effects where I couldn't function at all. And then they'd tell me it was my own fault, somehow. Go figure.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Feb 2024, 3:30 pm

Honestly it's been a while since I had some caffeine. Caffeine is the only reason why I ever stopped. If there were any affordable decaf alternatives, I'd try them all for taste.[/quote]

Haven’t bought decaf in years. So know next to nothing about pricing. But mostly assumed they were about the same. Not a coffee aficionado by any means. Some of the best decaf I’ve had was instant coffee-Taster’s Choice. Folgers taste like mud. I can’t stand mud literally or figuratively.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Feb 2024, 3:39 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Not long before I was diagnosed I had a horrible time trying to sleep and awful anxiety. I tried cutting back on caffeinated tea and tried everything else other than taking sleeping pills. before those things are dangerous and terrifying, but nothing worked. I drink caffeinated tea now, but no matter what I will never sleep like a normal human being. Even with the medication I do every night take to help me sleep, it took me forever fall asleep just last night and then I slept in until 3 pm. A typical day.

I never thought caffeine could have the opposite effect on autistic people. But then again, most medications the head shrinkers have prescribed me did the total opposite of what they were supposed to do, or gave me awful side effects where I couldn't function at all. And then they'd tell me it was my own fault, somehow. Go figure.

If you have access to Prime Video they have self-help films that induce sleepiness for as long as 9hours (with membership)
I used to have terrible anxiety and nightmares as recently as about 6 years ago. Would wake up on the hard bedroom floor from trying to get away in my dreams. I’m too old to keep falling out of bed and probably break my hip.
I was desperate. Thankfully they work for me. Their black screen with sounds of rain or thunderstorms work best. But there are many others as well.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 4:05 pm

I realize that I am addicted to caffeine; that is the only reason I drink it. I like the taste plus the routine of making it (the smell especially). It does make me sleepy instead of perky.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Feb 2024, 4:35 pm

Aspinator wrote:
I realize that I am addicted to caffeine; that is the only reason I drink it. I like the taste plus the routine of making it (the smell especially). It does make me sleepy instead of perky.

French Press. Grind your own beans of choice. Or a percolator/ coffee maker if you’re so inclined. Can almost smell it now.
Coffee pods just aren’t in the same category.

Punkrockfan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2024, 6:05 am

Honestly, sometimes it makes me alert. sometimes it makes me sleepy. Caffeine is a weird thing for me. I can sometimes go back to sleep almost instantly, even after having a Mountain Dew: Code Red.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 12:49 pm

Eyeselation wrote:
jamie0.0 wrote:
Yes, I like to drink coffee at night just before bed because I find coffee to be relaxing and sedating. It's been that way since I was 13.

Lately been drinking coffee before bed and I go out like a light. Manage to stay awake in the daytime through sheer force of will. Love the taste of coffee, and also a good Earl Grey.

Coffee and tea have different chemical makeup. There are 4 chemicals in the caffeine family, coffee has one of them, tea has three.

I am partial to Earl Grey too, and Snapple diet ice tea. Completely off coffee.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 8:34 pm

Agrees on the above serving sugg3stion about Fresh Ground coffee put through a French Press is lovely ..
Single origin coffee.... Sumatra , seems to be good most often or a mix with Guatamalen Antigua, have heard. :heart:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2024, 3:52 pm

for me it has been known to help me sleep. ADHD, I suppose.