Does caffeine make you sleepy, not alert?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2024, 12:35 pm

Sounds strange but right after I drink any caffeinated drink I get really sleepy. Especially coffee. Can sleep for hours unless I fight the effect. Not just old age, I’ve been like this ever since I can remember. Anybody else? Just me?

Also if I drink too much alcohol, the next morning my legs will ache. Both of them. But never have had a hangover in the traditional sense. No matter how much I imbibe.
No side effects from cannabis, thank goodness. (Medicinal)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 2:05 pm

Caffeine doesn't do much to me, either way.
I can fall asleep after taking meth, I don't get tired from it but doesn't interfere with my sleeping either.

My ADHD meds don't seem to interfere with me sleeping either.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 2:11 pm

It depends on the quantity - a shot of espresso or 2 at a time will increase my alertness, but anything hyper caffeinated is sedating for sure. A "5-hour Energy" is only an 8 hour "nap" for me.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2024, 2:22 pm

Caffeine helps me focus but too much can cause racing thoughts or inappropriate hyper-focus. It also can increase anxiety as it wears off and make it hard to get a good night’s sleep.

Last edited by Fenn on 15 Jan 2024, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2024, 2:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I can fall asleep after taking meth, I don't get tired from it but doesn't interfere with my sleeping either.

That’s Interesting. Curious what a brain scan would reveal.
It’s been quite a while for me, but other stimulants I occasionally used in the 80’s had the expected effects. Just caffeine and alcohol are screwy.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2024, 3:50 pm

Remember now, codeine has absolutely no effect on me. Advil works better for pain relief. Had a root canal and was prescribed the drug. Didn’t work. Dentist upped the prescription as high as it could go. When I went to the pharmacist they looked at me like I was a criminal going to sell it on the street. Had to jump through hoops to get it. They Contacted Dentist to see if I was legit. Long waiting time. Finally got it and it still didn’t work. Dentist was in disbelief. But Advil did alleviate some of the pain.
Only took one codeine tablet. Sister stole the rest out of my bathroom cabinet one day when she came to visit. It was Vicodin.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2024, 5:24 pm

DanielW wrote:
It depends on the quantity - a shot of espresso or 2 at a time will increase my alertness, but anything hyper caffeinated is sedating for sure. A "5-hour Energy" is only an 8 hour "nap" for me.

Too funny. :lol:

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2024, 5:29 pm

Fenn wrote:
Caffeine helps me focus but too much can cause racing thoughts or inappropriate hyper-focus. It also can increase anxiety as it wears off and make it hard to get a good night’s sleep.

Good you know your limits. Assume it was by trial and error.
I have extreme anxiety issues. Never considered it might be caffeine because of its sedative effect on me. But worth looking into. Thanks

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 12:04 am

Eyeselation wrote:
Sounds strange but right after I drink any caffeinated drink I get really sleepy. Especially coffee. Can sleep for hours unless I fight the effect. Not just old age, I’ve been like this ever since I can remember. Anybody else? Just me?

Also if I drink too much alcohol, the next morning my legs will ache. Both of them. But never have had a hangover in the traditional sense. No matter how much I imbibe.
No side effects from cannabis, thank goodness. (Medicinal)

Coffee makes me sleepy, but caffeine work slowy, it can take hours to work, other times it can wake me up, not alot, I can yawn alot. I need a really good night sleep. When I drink alcohol, I only have 1 or 2 glasses, I never had a hangover too, I can get hot.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 6:40 am

I had a Monster to drink on Friday. I took a nap 10 minutes after I finished the can. I guess that I could say it makes me sleepy. Coffee on the other hand makes me very hyper. I get as high as a kite off just one cup of coffee.

Aspie With Attitude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Feb 2024, 3:54 am

Not that much, actually COFFEE gets me going! I am still trying to feel the effect since every time I drink coffee I feel like that I am drinking hot chocolate.

I also make fantasy test card animation and mix my own music.

Please follow this link to subscribe to my YouTube Channel "Aspie With Attitude" --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL2iDI ... Hb4eeYlodQ

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2024, 7:48 am

Yes, I like to drink coffee at night just before bed because I find coffee to be relaxing and sedating. It's been that way since I was 13.

When I'm overstimulated coffee also helps me relax

However, after 5 coffees in 2 hours. I do get jittery and not tired.

I've read a bit into this, and I think I might just have a high tolerance for caffine !?
Sugar makes me more alert than coffee, chocolates is my go to when I need energy and concentration.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 9:38 am

I tend to find caffeine stimulating, although if there is only a little bit, say, in a drink, it doesn't make any difference to my wakefulness.

If I have a few energy drinks however, that can make it difficult to sleep for me.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 12:23 pm

Caffeine never perks me up or helped me to stay awake and hadn't helped me to become more alert.

It either does make me sleep, makes me fall asleep but not necessarily calm, or just flat out gives me symptoms ranging from tremors and pounding heart to diarrhea and brain fog.

It's really too bad since I like the taste of coffee.
And I kept drinking it for the taste for years, not realizing that the effect isn't good for me nor ever matches the typical reaction to caffeine. I realized too late that the typical reason why others drink coffee is as a stimulant.

Honestly it's been a while since I had some caffeine. Caffeine is the only reason why I ever stopped. If there were any affordable decaf alternatives, I'd try them all for taste.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 12:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Same

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Feb 2024, 2:02 pm

Aspie With Attitude wrote:

Not that much, actually COFFEE gets me going! I am still trying to feel the effect since every time I drink coffee I feel like that I am drinking hot chocolate.

Sensing a pattern here. Great info. Thanks