Thoughts on using chatgpt to summarise character traits

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2024, 9:32 am

I really struggle knowing "who people are".
I focus on them in the moment only, ignoring past behaviour and with no idea how they will respond.

This can be great because it is the opposite of bigotry, but it does leave me vulnerable to
repeated exploitation.

Based on what I've read from other people on the spectrum this is a common experience.

I have found that if I write down things that caused a bad emotional response, and some conversations,
and put it into an LLM like chatgpt, I can ask it to summarise the person in different words.

This is helpful for bringing the character traits into the present, and reducing uncertainty about who to hang around with.

It is a bit dangerous, and somehow sad, but actually I think it is quite helpful. I am still in control because I am just
asking for a summary. I think that this type of thing could evolve into a "social-skills wheelchair", or maybe "armoured car" is better.

Because at the end of the day NTs have not and will not build a completely friendly world for us in the near future.
When the stakes get high, many can and will use our differences against us.

Especially in a struggling capitalist community where everyone is looking for someone to trick.

Last edited by __Elijahahahaho on 19 Jan 2024, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 10:10 am

I am dubious of the efficacy and accuracy of such a method of guidance.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2024, 11:07 am

Look at it this way - therapists are expensive, friends are going to call you needy, and probably backstab you at some point anyway,
this thing is the "average of most stories", so it can probably do a decent job with character, you can use it iteratively to feel out what you think is going on.

I think it's an interesting direction.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 11:27 am

It is one more opinion or point of view. One more data point. One more tool.

As long as you don’t use it as a source of “always right” info I think your idea is fine.

I have a lot of conflict with my brother sometimes he lies or exaggerates for his own purposes. He is pushy. But also sometimes I misread him. My emotions and my past cloud my judgement. Also I may judge him based on my experience and my point of view.
Cutting and pasting his exact words into a ChatGPT session and saying “what does this mean” gives me a non-biased take on the words based on an entirely statistical model trained in normal (NT average joe) text and communication. It can help me to tell if I am reading him correctly or am way off, or what.

ChatGPT is a computer model of the “unwritten rules”.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 6:14 pm

There's a lotta assumptions and suppositions embedded in this proposed method. Not sure they hold as much water as y'all think they do.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2024, 2:02 pm

Quote:
There's a lotta assumptions and suppositions embedded in this proposed method. Not sure they hold as much water as y'all think they do.

I think it's probably better than most therapists though. You really have to build a relationship with them for
them to give good advice.
I think if you massage things you can find an interpretation of the scenario that "hits" best with your gut.

It's gonna be like a horrorscope - completely meaningless, but still can be helpful if you choose the meaning.

I think over time if you record enough instances it is useful.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2024, 7:40 pm

Taking meaningless things and massaging them until they "hit with your gut" sounds like a literal definition of confirmation bias. Over time, it may convince you you're "right" (even if you aren't), but I'm still not sure it actually leads to anything meaningful - other than self-fulfilling confirmation.

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2024, 8:00 pm

I mean that point is moot - obviously it's only from one perspective.
The point is more to find clarity in what that perspective is in a less detailed way.

I think talking to a therapist will be just as biased- they are going to have their idea
and only listen to what they want, and you are also only going to share partial information.

Fact is social situations are always vague. I don't think it makes sense to apply scientific methodology.
You are never going to have a controlled experiment anyway.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 5:11 am

Well, yeah - it's a therapist's job to help you understand yourself, not to tell you who other people are.

Your potential to misreport or incompletely report applies to chatgpt just as much as it does to a therapist, with one big disadvantage - chatgpt is a machine, and doesn't have actual true human insight.

A human therapist may have biases, it's true, but not all biases are bad. And sometimes that bias isn't actually bias, so much as it is the very human insight that a machine lacks.

Scientific methodology can be applied to a surprising number of things. Even social situations. And they're far less vague when you actually learn and understand them. You'd be surprised what you can quantify with a properly designed experiment. Even in the chaotic world-at-large.

The more time I've spent immersed in the sea of people of the world, learning who they were and how they worked, the more I understood what potentially drove or otherwise motivated the people around me, and how to interact with them. If you want to understand people, be around people, learn to listen and see, rather than guess and assume, or be told by someone, or something, else's guesses.

Charlemania
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jan 2024, 5:50 am

Quote:
I have found that if I write down things that caused a bad emotional response, and some conversations,
and put it into an LLM like chatgpt, I can ask it to summarise the person in different words.

You know that all AI is "taught" by humans with biases.
Ergo there is bias in Chatgpt.

And, of course, its aggregation and averaging of whatever it finds on the web is less likely to tell you what's going on inside any one given individual's head than sticking one foot in ice and the other in fire is to keep you at the ideal temperature.

NT people come in countless varieties. They have different childhoods, different life experiences, different IQs, different mental/emotional/personality problems, or not.

Just like ND people.

If you polled how x number of ND people might respond to a given comment or situation, and then tallied the statistical mean, you might find that "averaged" answer very different from your own personal reaction.

It also seems hard to account for context in your query, as you, yourself, may well be oblivious to that aspect.

All in all I doubt that this will prove helpful.

I suspect you will go forward in any event--as AI is the new thing and people just want to use it for the sake of using it, regardless of the environmental costs.

By all means, keep a record of your usage and results.

This might make for an entertaining--if sometimes brutal--movie script!

Good Luck!! :D

__Elijahahahaho
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jan 2024, 9:27 am

Quote:
By all means, keep a record of your usage and results.

This might make for an entertaining--if sometimes brutal--movie script!

Good Luck!! :D

ahaha I like this response.

Charlemania
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Jan 2024, 1:17 pm

Quote:
ahaha I like this response.

Don't forget to cut me in for a small % of the royalties. :lol: