Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

TikvaBall
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jan 2024, 1:14 am

I had a weird experience yesterday that kinda bothered me. I'm in college, and in the cafeteria they have an app that is like a jukebox. I like to play music when I'm in there, and I played "Can You Feel the Love Tonight" by Elton John. While the song was playing, two girls walked One of them started singing, but the other one said, "Why are we listening to the Lion King?" The way she said it sounded like the way they talk in the movie Mean Girls. It was almost like I had played a Barney song or something. I mean, maybe I could see it if I played the movie version, but I played the original. It made me feel awkward because people have made fun of me for liking things that society has decided is only for kids. Should I not have played it?

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2024, 12:40 pm

The problem is with Miss Regina George and not you. Sounds like her friend was enjoying the song. Don’t let it bother you. You don’t need affirmation from teens.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2024, 1:23 pm

Nope , not at all ...not a good thing to make comparisons between different age group . Besides yoou heard it first the way it was suppose to be heard years prior. 8) Kinda makes you a keeper of old school Knowledge about that kind of music ....:D :D :D :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Charlemania
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jan 2024, 1:42 pm

It's not you. People can be opinionated about music. You're unlikely to find a song that everyone likes. The girl making the snide comment just isn't a fan of Elton John. I'll assume she didn't know that you chose the song as well as hearing her comment. If she did, then she's the one out of line, not you.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 10:10 am

I don't think you did anything wrong. That song makes you happy, so enjoy it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 10:30 am

As mentioned above...half of the pair of young ladies obviously LOVED your pick.

Second..."there is no accounting for taste" as they say.

Individuals have odd associations with individual songs.

The "mean girl" associated the song with a "kid movie", but being a one time party DJ I can attest that MANY folks picked that song for the slow dances at their wedding receptions in the early 2000s.

In the 80s I worked in the warehouse of an office supply store. One of the delivery truck drivers had just returned as I was doing paperwork while the top 40 radio station was playing "Our Love's in Jeopardy...baby". I had gotten so sick of hearing the song by that time that I chimed in along with it with my own made up lyrics "I lost on Jeopardy..baby...I lost on Jeopardy, baby". The truck driver then exclaimed "I LIKED that song...and you just now ruined it for me!".

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 5:01 pm

For the record, The Lion King is liked by lots of adults as it's a classic and it's actually based on Hamlet. In fact, the Lion King is the reason I found Elton John and I have been listening to him since.

It sounds like that chick is a miserable person who wants everyone to do things her way.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 6:08 pm

If they had a problem with it, that's nothing on you

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 8:59 am

Unfortunately, you can't please everyone especially people who that Regina. As I was pointing out earlier, people like her are insecure people who are often miserable. Being that she saw you having fun, she wanted to make you feel that way too. Insecure people hate it when they run into confident people so they do what they can to being them down.

Anyway, does that Jukebox have the song, "I'm Still Standing by Elton John?" If so, the next time you see Regina and Karen I would play that song.

Also, if she makes any other comments like the one with "The Lion King," stay calm and tell her, "I think my taste in music is just fine. How are you doing?"

flat_affect
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2024, 8:51 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
As I was pointing out earlier, people like her are insecure people who are often miserable. Being that she saw you having fun, she wanted to make you feel that way too.

Exactly. She recognized that you live outside the Matrix and she instinctively attacked.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2024, 11:05 am

Teenage girls often are rude in that way. I would say it's for the most part a sign of their insecurity and nothing to pay any attention to.

Last edited by BillyTree on 16 Apr 2024, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2024, 11:31 am

I do so get it. The mean girl probably thinks anyone who likes something that was targeted towards kids must be a pedo or a manchild, or both. Never mind that the 1994 Lion King is beloved by many people of all ages, along with its music. I've got the soundtrack on CD and I've spent years listening to it. On headphones when in public, anyway.

Oh and it's Disney, too. And Disney is evil and horrible, and grown adults who like Disney are pedos or manchildren or just plain freaks. Heavy sarcasm here. :roll: