Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2024, 11:27 am

NBC News

Quote:
“Oppenheimer,” Christopher Nolan’s portrait of the father of the atomic bomb, dominated the list of nominees for the 96th Academy Awards announced early Tuesday, picking up 13 nods, including best picture.

The nine other films vying for the top prize are Cord Jefferson’s “American Fiction,” Justine Triet’s “Anatomy of a Fall,” Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie,” Alexander Payne’s “The Holdovers,” Martin Scorsese’s “Killers of the Flower Moon,” Bradley Cooper’s “Maestro,” Celine Song’s “Past Lives,” Yorgos Lanthimos’ “Poor Things” and Jonathan Glazer’s “The Zone of Interest.”

Triet, Scorsese, Nolan, Lanthimos and Glazer were also recognized in the best director category. Triet is the eighth woman to be nominated for direction in the history of the Academy Awards.

​“Barbie” turned in a strong showing, securing eight nominations, including nods for supporting actor Ryan Gosling and supporting actress America Ferrera. Surprisingly, though, “Barbie” star Margot Robbie was locked out of the best actress race and Gerwig did not make the cut in the best director category.

“Poor Things,” a feminist spin on the Frankenstein story, nabbed 11 nominations; “Killers of the Flower Moon,” a chronicle of the Osage murders of the 1920s, earned 10.

The nominees for best actor are Bradley Cooper (“Maestro”), Colman Domingo (“Rustin”), Paul Giamatti (“The Holdovers”), Cillian Murphy (“Oppenheimer”) and Jeffrey Wright (“American Fiction”).

In the best actress race, the nominees are Annette Bening (“Nyad”), Lily Gladstone (“Killers of the Flower Moon”), Sandra Hüller (“Anatomy of a Fall”), Carey Mulligan (“Maestro”) and Emma Stone (“Poor Things”).

No performer may be more of a lock for an Oscar than Da’Vine Joy Randolph for her supporting turn in “The Holdovers” as a cafeteria manager mourning the death of her son in Vietnam. Randolph previously triumphed at the Golden Globe Awards and the Critics’ Choice Awards.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2024, 4:17 pm

I've been avoiding watching Oppenheimer but Cillian Murphy is a brilliant actor, I saw him in Peaky Blinders.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 5:11 pm

Emma Stone gave a brave, Oscar-worthy performance in Poor Things,
but judging from this lineup, I like many other people am hoping Lily Gladstone will win Best Actress.