Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

sr71
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jan 2024, 11:13 am

I don't have any friends at least I don't think so and in the NT world that makes you sad and to be pitied, but I am quite happy on my own. I once spent a lot of time with a neighbour who was very ill. When he died he left me a letter thanking me for being a good friend. I wish he had told me be for he died I had know idea.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 12:28 pm

It sounds like you made a meaningful impact on your neighbor's life, even if he didn't express it verbally before he passed. Your presence and support clearly meant a lot to him.

It can be hard knowing how to approach friendships and the criteria you use to identify someone as a friend. It could be based on shared interests, trust, or mutual understanding. It’s a valuable topic for discussion.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 2:00 pm

sr71 wrote:
I don't have any friends at least I don't think so and in the NT world that makes you sad and to be pitied, but I am quite happy on my own. I once spent a lot of time with a neighbour who was very ill. When he died he left me a letter thanking me for being a good friend. I wish he had told me be for he died I had know idea.

Inspite of your lack of ability to make friends , you have been the greatest of friends...to this person during his ending times ..I know personally NTs that do not even visit their " so called friends" in the hospital ever. Even unto death .Even their own immediate relatives. :( That by itself deserves a hug , in the least .
Knowing that you are dying,when a patient ,can be nect to impossible to accept , and choose not to dwell on it .
They may consider, that if a person whose is kind enough to be around them,when they are ill ,The friend that has been "empathetic enough to be around them" might not want to be around dying people...? .. :| ....
Often people whom are a bit more intelligent (often intelligence manifests in different ways) than the people that are around them. Generally are , or can be quite content on their own. Sometimes just going shopping for groceries/ whatever,even just maintaining their lives ,can be quite enough socializing
for some Aspies . Glad to have you establishing/contributing to this new thread. :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 8:00 am

To the OP; I am much the same way; I have learned I don't need to apologize for being wired differently. I am very content being by myself. I have had a few close friends in my life but none now.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 12:34 pm

That's very touching that he took care to thank you even when he was about to die. We never know the impact we make in other people's lives.

I have only two friends i think, and one of them lives in a foreign country so we rarely talk.