Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 10:47 pm

What kind of antianxiety medication have you taken and what were the results?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 10:57 pm

I took Zoloft for anxiety from PTSD.
It was really helpful at 25mg but not helpful at higher doses.
It kept me awake even at 25 mg.
It pushed my anxiety into my dreams, causing nightmares.
Overall, I liked it though.

I took Prazosin for nightmares from PTSD.
It works.
For the most part I stopped having nightmares.

I took Buspirone (Buspar) as needed for anxiety.
It worked at low doses.
Unfortunately it made me have zapping sounds in my head.

I took Ativan and Clonazepam (benzos)
They don't do much at all.
Two or three days later I always have a crying meltdown.
Then I get really depressed.

I took Propranolol (Beta Blocker)
It didn't work.

I took Risperidol for self-harming / overstimming.
It worked briefly.
Side effects weren't great.

I took Quetiapine.
It actually works, but it makes me too sleepy.

Other than that, just a bunch of antidepressants.

I've never had Xanax.
It's not allowed here for some reason.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Jan 2024, 1:48 am

Buspar/Buspirone helps my anxiety a lot & the only side-effect I've noticed is bruising more easily & I'm on the max dose.

Since OCD can be related to anxiety I'll mention that Neurontin/Gabapentin helps with my OCD obsessions & compulsions a lot but it does not help with my anxiety in general. I'm not sure if I'm experiencing no side-effects or some that I cant connect to the med.

Klonopin/Clonazepam helps me feel less panicky if I take it before an anxiety provoking situation. At one point I was prescribed a little bit higher dose 2x a day to treat a tremor disorder that can act up when I'm nervous & Klonopin quit helping after a few weeks. So it's best to take it occasionally as needed or only for a week or so while dealing with something. It also helps relax my mussels when I'm sore & helps me sleep. I'm officially prescribed it for anxiety but I take it more for the other reasons than for anxiety specially.

Inderal/Propranolol helps some people with anxiety & I think there was a recent study about it helping anxiety in kids with autism. It does not help my anxiety though. I'm officially prescribed it for my tremors which it does not really help but it does help keep me from having migraines which I would occasionally get. The docs didn't think my headaches warranted a preventive med so I asked to try Inderal for my tremors & I tell the doc it helps my tremors slightly so I can keep getting it :wink:

Ativan/Lorazepam I briefly tried & it made me shaky when the med started to wear off.

I've been on lots of various antidepressants, antipsychotics & Lithium which can potentially help some with anxiety but I never noticed those meds helping my anxiety.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 9:57 pm

I was on klonopin at some point in my life for several years. I know I took it during my trauma work because it was the only thing that got my heartrate down in the morning back then. I'd bolt awake and be all freaked out...you could see my heartbeat through my clothes. It was crazy, but the klonopin worked to chill my head and body out. I know I also used it when I was trying to leave the house again after not leaving for like 9 months or something stupid. It took the edge off of my sensory crap and made it all a little less awful and easier to readjust. It didn't make me sleepy or loopy or anything. I did fine on it.

I can't recall what else they tried to give me back then, but I know none of them did a thing for me except the klonopin. It was like eating tic taks. I'm weird with meds...they either mess me up horribly or do nothing for me. :lol:

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 8:27 am

was on Effexor ER for almost 10 years, mild dose, tolerable side effects. It really saved me and helped me through a very difficult part of my life (my 40s to my 50s)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2024, 10:57 pm

For a brief while I was on diazepam, better known as vallum for anxiety. I don't recall how many mg.
It was prescribed when I couldn't leave the house due to anxiety.
The effects I've noticed was that I was really calm, almost sedated.
The anxious thoughts were still there but they didn't bother me so much.
It also helped with my insomnia
I wasn't on it for long, but it did help me in a difficult stage of life.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 12:19 am

I still take sertraline and buspiron- they've kept me fairly functional for years. Xanax worked as a short term fix. I've tried other meds with less luck

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 12:31 am

Zoloft for OCD and anxiety. Seems to do its job.

I was prescribed Ativan for severe airplane anxiety.... but once I actually had the pills available, I went on my flight and somehow was just fine. So I didn't bother to take any and have been a happy flyer ever since. Go figure :?

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Feb 2024, 5:58 am

colliegrace wrote:
Zoloft for OCD and anxiety. Seems to do its job.

I was prescribed Ativan for severe airplane anxiety.... but once I actually had the pills available, I went on my flight and somehow was just fine. So I didn't bother to take any and have been a happy flyer ever since. Go figure :?
Perhaps knowing it was avilable if needed helped you feel more relaxed. Better to have it & not need it than need it & not have it :wink:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 2:48 pm

I'm on Atorvastatin for anxiety and depression. It keeps anxiety attacks at bay since I can longer control them.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2024, 11:22 am

Atenolol (beta-blocker) in 1999. No evidence that it did any good. What I needed was for the source of the stress (undue pressure from workplace managers) to be removed, and when that happened, my anxiety went away.