Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 10:35 am

^ I agree. Quite a few of them are 'verbal intelligence isn't real intelligence' zealots.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 3:30 pm

i will admit that, despite everything else, i wish high iq types would have me.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 6:46 am

firemonkey wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
The main problem with high IQ societies is that many of them become 'ghost societies' rather quickly. That's because merely sharing a very high IQ with others is very often not enough to keep such societies going.

Is the idea that it's unsatisfying for people with high IQs to talk to people with lesser IQs? So they can hang out together and have conversations at their level?

There are some with that mentality. More on the 'gifted' subreddit than on the 'cognitive testing' subreddit.
However there's very few like that within high IQ societies. I'll speak to anyone with any IQ,as best I can. I tend to join such societies for the self admittedly banal reason that I can. It's certainly not because it's unsatisfying to talk with those with lesser IQs.

It's got to be annoying though, and probably quite isolating, if you're at the top end of intelligence and you want to have a conversation with someone that stimulates you mentally. Like if you were a piano virtuoso and you wanted to play music with people but everyone just wants to play Chopsticks.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 9:06 am

DuckHairback wrote:
quote]

It's got to be annoying though, and probably quite isolating, if you're at the top end of intelligence and you want to have a conversation with someone that stimulates you mentally. Like if you were a piano virtuoso and you wanted to play music with people but everyone just wants to play Chopsticks.

Yes, some do cite that as a problem. I don't regard myself as being in that league, but for some inexplicable reason my friends list has gone up x 6.2 approx since getting involved with the FB high IQ community in March 2020. The vast majority of that increase coming from that community. I sometimes wonder whether it's akin to being the human equivalent of a pet monkey.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 1:02 am

Sweet Pea hugs

I don't think you're old and stupid at all.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 1:09 am

firemonkey wrote:
^ I agree. Quite a few of them are 'verbal intelligence isn't real intelligence' zealots.

Probably because they're the types that constantly get outplayed by people with high verbal intelligence. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 1:09 am

auntblabby wrote:

What's their cutoff?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 1:11 am

funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

What's their cutoff?

i am guessing a matter of credentials, accomplishments and high iq in some mixture.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 1:30 am

auntblabby wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

What's their cutoff?

i am guessing a matter of credentials, accomplishments and high iq in some mixture.

I assumed they'd normally only use IQ.

Maybe because if I need either of the other two I'm not likely to be welcome. :lol:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 1:37 am

mee neether.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 10:00 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Sweet Pea hugs

I don't think you're old and stupid at all.

Thank you. I must be getting quite old, as I found out several days ago I'm over an inch shorter than I used to be.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 10:15 am

funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

What's their cutoff?

A low level one.

http://hiddensite.mysxl.cn/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 2:48 pm

on a good day, mebbe i might qualify?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 12:55 am

I think resilience matters a lot; the ability to cope effectively with the crap that life can throw at you. I see that as a personality thing, rather than a high/average/low IQ thing . Nearly 50 years later,and I'm still struggling to cope with the effects of 'bullying related trauma', and being born too early to get the kind of help available to 2e types now.

I have no great achievements. I can do reasonably well at high range IQ tests, most of which are either not age adjusted or adjusted to the age of those younger than I am. That doesn't stop me from having crap life skills due to the ASD(adaptive functioning) and the SMI. Those life skills being more important re doing well in life than a score on a high range IQ test.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 8:25 am

firemonkey wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

What's their cutoff?

A low level one.

http://hiddensite.mysxl.cn/

Ah, I'd count, but I don't think I want to join any club that would have me as a member. :lol:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 8:50 am

I'm so indignant on your behalf.
That is exactly the same meaning from some ignorant young punk as the "yeah boomer" comment.
They will be sorted out in the game of life pretty quickly, I dismiss that comment out of hand and would say if that is the only way they can make themselves feel better, by disparaging others on the internet to make themselves feel better, they will not last long in the "real world" . karma is a "thing". :)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson