Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 10:52 pm

Being told you're rather old and therefore quite unintelligent is very demoralising.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 11:33 pm

Who told you that?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 12:03 am

if i were the OP i would pay as much mind to the jejune jabberings of whatever impudent young whippersnapper it was, as i would whale ordure at the bottom of the ocean.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 12:11 am

Someone on the cognitive testing subreddit.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 1:19 am

those people are not as smart as they think they are.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 4:58 am

It's a very ageist subreddit. They have a high level of contempt for the FB high IQ community . I've taken part in that community since March 2020. The vast majority of my FB friends come from there. The subreddit has a bad reputation re people cheating on tests.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 6:05 am

I hope you can try not to let it demoralise you as it's clearly nonsense.

People sometimes say terrible things. It's their problem and their failing, not yours. I know it's hard not to take insults to heart, but I hope you can try.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 8:59 am

I'm trying not to. I tend to vehemently deny things on the surface, but internally I go into high anxiety mode over them.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 9:29 am

Do you enjoy your online experiences much? Of not then it might be best to drift away from online social groups and lean towards more immediately gratifying activities like going down YouTube rabbit holes and whatnot.

Intelligence doesn't change much by watching movies and amusing videos. Online high IQ groups seem like a magnet for narcissistic people and too much time around them don't seem all that great for the soul.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 11:33 am

The FB high IQ community actually has very few narcissists. The main problem with high IQ societies is that many of them become 'ghost societies' rather quickly. That's because merely sharing a very high IQ with others is very often not enough to keep such societies going.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 5:45 pm

Positive judgements are just as judgemental as negative ones

Everyone has a "right" to free speech , but not everyone is having sex with the boss

Not everyone defines and measures intelligence the same way

IQ tests allegedly culturally biased

There is no objective method of measuring IQ

Plenty of precious lil "people" not nearly as "smart" as they think they are

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 6:05 pm

firemonkey wrote:
The main problem with high IQ societies is that many of them become 'ghost societies' rather quickly. That's because merely sharing a very high IQ with others is very often not enough to keep such societies going.

Is the idea that it's unsatisfying for people with high IQs to talk to people with lesser IQs? So they can hang out together and have conversations at their level?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 2:40 am

firemonkey wrote:
The FB high IQ community actually has very few narcissists. The main problem with high IQ societies is that many of them become 'ghost societies' rather quickly. That's because merely sharing a very high IQ with others is very often not enough to keep such societies going.

I still think it might be a good idea to spend some time away from them though.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 4:49 am

DuckHairback wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
The main problem with high IQ societies is that many of them become 'ghost societies' rather quickly. That's because merely sharing a very high IQ with others is very often not enough to keep such societies going.

Is the idea that it's unsatisfying for people with high IQs to talk to people with lesser IQs? So they can hang out together and have conversations at their level?

There are some with that mentality. More on the 'gifted' subreddit than on the 'cognitive testing' subreddit.
However there's very few like that within high IQ societies. I'll speak to anyone with any IQ,as best I can. I tend to join such societies for the self admittedly banal reason that I can. It's certainly not because it's unsatisfying to talk with those with lesser IQs.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 5:02 am

Nades wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

I still think it might be a good idea to spend some time away from them though.

I actually spend very little time on them. I don't have the self confidence to start a topic, and there are very, very, few topics by other people to respond to. I'm most active on the FB high IQ groups, but my participation is very much restricted to posting articles that others might find interesting. The FB high IQ groups are comparatively more active than the non FB high IQ societies.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 8:57 am

“You are old, and so you are unintelligent” is something an unintelligent person would say.