Leaded gasoline was not banned till 1996...

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 3:47 am

And lead does not leave your body, so I was at least 5 before it was banned so I probably have some in my body to.

But the past generations....were exposed much longer, just wonder if that contributes to any crazy views trump aged people have, is it the lead, from all that leaded gasoline before it was banned.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 9:42 pm

The people most severely affected by lead-related illnesses are people who worked in lead mines and lived in towns near the mines. A very well-known example is Picher, Oklahoma, which is now completely abandoned.

In any case, I don't think it's responsible for crazy ideologies. Huckster conspiracy theorists and wealthy campaign donors are everything to do with it.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 27 Jan 2024, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 9:43 pm

Avgas still uses lead, afaik.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 9:56 pm

I have some pretty crystal vases that have lead in them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 9:59 pm

I grew up with lead paint on my walls and toys, even the ones I stuck in my mouth.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 10:33 pm

There are plenty of sources of lead in everyone's environment, that have nothing to do with fuel. Paint, crystal glassware, ceramics, painted or glazed pottery, old plumbing/pipes - even some foods like rice, tamarind and spices can leech lead from soil/water that they are gown in.

I don't think gasoline is the issue here.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 4:44 pm

In theory I would have been exposed to quite a bit of lead over my life, but my physical and mental health seem OK.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 4:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
And lead does not leave your body, so I was at least 5 before it was banned so I probably have some in my body to.

But the past generations....were exposed much longer, just wonder if that contributes to any crazy views trump aged people have, is it the lead, from all that leaded gasoline before it was banned.

I was still available in the UK years after that because when we had the fuel blockades, I had a 1989 Audi 90 which did have a cat but the cat had disintergrated inside and due to the age of my car, it did not legally have to have it, so when the fuel blockades hit where lorry drivers and farmers blocked the oil terminals at Milford Haven in Wales, I ran my car on 4 star so I could get to work and back as all the unleaded had completely run out, and diesel was in very short supply. Only 4 star was left and I was ok. It was about 2005 the blockades took place.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 8:38 pm

DanielW wrote:
There are plenty of sources of lead in everyone's environment, that have nothing to do with fuel. Paint, crystal glassware, ceramics, painted or glazed pottery, old plumbing/pipes - even some foods like rice, tamarind and spices can leech lead from soil/water that they are gown in.

I don't think gasoline is the issue here.

There's plenty of sources of lead but leaded gasoline was one of the primary ones between the end of WWII and the banning of leaded gasoline.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う