What's with the political signatures people have?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2024, 9:35 am

I thought this was against forum rules?

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 9:58 am

Which one?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 10:01 am

I also don't get them.

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2024, 10:34 am

belijojo wrote:
Which one?

which rule? if thats the question:

3. Other inappropriate content and behavior prohibited on Wrong Planet:
This includes copyrighted material, serial codes, and posts made to promote a website, group or product, particularly if made repeatedly and without other participation in the WP community (spamming). This also includes discussion of locked topics, discussion of banned members and why they were banned and anything else that purposely causes conflict with other members.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 11:05 am

Oh, I see. My first reaction is that different political positions are not necessarily associated with conflict. I see it as a hobby. But some people do think that political positions are not suitable for display, so I need to reflect on my understanding.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 3:07 am

What_in_the_what_now wrote:
I thought this was against forum rules?
Examples, please?

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 6:50 am

the idea of "what is political" is probably pretty subjective. What might be a trigger for one person may be something many others don't even notice.

If we shut down/ shout down
all comments others disagreed with, nobody would be bold enough to make any personal statements at all. ( my opinion) interchange of ideas is better to be encouraged, I think.

Would love to know which signatures folks have that are so offensive? I can't say I've noticed any at all?

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 7:31 am

In all fairness there is one person who DOES have a signature that reads "No :heart: for supporting Trump".

Is THAT what you're referring to?

Not sayin I object to it, but that IS one example of somewhat partisan political signature ...that someone might be offended by.

But that one is the only example I can think of.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 28 Jan 2024, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fraser_S
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jan 2024, 8:29 am

Politics? Is that the thing that they use to keep us all distracted and divided while they make work slaves out of us, rob us blind and ravage the earth for their own personal gain? :|

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2024, 10:27 am

autisticelders wrote:
the idea of "what is political" is probably pretty subjective. What might be a trigger for one person may be something many others don't even notice.

all comments others disagreed with, nobody would be bold enough to make any personal statements at all. ( my opinion) interchange of ideas is better to be encouraged, I think.

Would love to know which signatures folks have that are so offensive? I can't say I've noticed any at all?

There wasnt a claim that they are offensive. But they are causing conflict in users. If you enter into the search bar "israel AND hamas" you will find multiple examples of these conversations and the signatures not just demonstrating support for a side but making statements about the opposing side.

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

28 Jan 2024, 10:28 am

Fraser_S wrote:
Politics? Is that the thing that they use to keep us all distracted and divided while they make work slaves out of us, rob us blind and ravage the earth for their own personal gain? :|

The infamous "they".

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 11:53 am

I've turned my signatures off

Fraser_S

28 Jan 2024, 2:22 pm

Fraser_S wrote:

The infamous "they".

Well "they" prefer to say "we". You know... to make it seem like we're all to blame.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 5:43 pm

I did the search you (the OP) suggested and saw the signatures you are referring to and in my opinion neither one of them comes close to anything "that purposely causes conflict with other members." Personally, I completely agree with both of the signatures in question, even though they appear to come from opposing viewpoints, because both are making simple factual statements. And even if someone interprets these signatures otherwise, they would be hard-pressed to say they were purposely intending to cause conflict.

I am presuming you mean:

Quote:
If Israel stops fighting there will be peace.
If Palestine stops fighting there will be no more Palestine or Palestinians.

and
Quote:
No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

I completely agree with both.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 8:35 pm

autisticelders wrote:

There wasnt a claim that they are offensive. But they are causing conflict in users. If you enter into the search bar "israel AND hamas" you will find multiple examples of these conversations and the signatures not just demonstrating support for a side but making statements about the opposing side.

I don't believe the conflicts result from the signatures, instead the butting heads and different ways that's expressed are the result of differing perspectives on issues of grave importance.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 2:38 am

naturalplastic wrote:
In all fairness there is one person who DOES have a signature that reads "No :heart: for supporting Trump". Is THAT what you're referring to?
Maybe the one that says, "No love for . . . terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers." along with a list of a few such groups?