Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Blue Thunder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jan 2024, 4:55 pm

As a person with autism, my mind fixates on certain topics. Over the years, it has been washing machines, weather, and right now it's how the brain of a person that experiences autism works. I am obsessed with my own brain and I love getting to know people who have similarities to me. It is a breath of fresh air when I can go through life unmasked and just be myself. I work with kids that experience autism now and it is amazing because I feel a connection with them. I get them because of the way I see the world.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 6:35 pm

Great to hear you get to work with autistic kids.

I told my boss that we could use someone with autism to handle very repetitive tasks and I could assist in managing that person but he wasn't interested even though he constantly said to participate more more in managing existing staff.

I've been busy learning to play golf for the last few years. I'm getting pretty good at it. :D

Blue Thunder

28 Jan 2024, 7:28 pm

It is great to be a mentor to the young people that experience the world the way I do. I wish you the best of luck with finding ways on following your passion. Good for you on the golf!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 9:02 pm

There's a lot to be said for the excitement and pleasure of special interests and hyperfocussing on self-chosen subjects. If I can't do that, I start getting bored and depressed.

In my case it's more or less whatever I happen to take on. I just get a buzz from really analysing tasks and getting them right. It doesn't matter if the task isn't particularly useful, but I like to stick to things that give me results of some practical value. If I do have a "passion," it's probably recording and performing music. Just rehearsing a few songs on my guitar and singing them doesn't bring me to life very much, but if it's for a gig or recording session that's coming up, or if it's a new song I'm developing, I'm in my element, as long as I feel I'm making progress. Though I hate it when I feel I'm just going round in circles and that the rest of my life is being left unattended. Special interests can cause me to ignore other important matters and that can give me serious trouble if I continue too long like that, and I don't like that worry nagging away at me.

Blue Thunder

29 Jan 2024, 1:57 am

That totally makes sense about the hyperfocusing. I love music as well and I share that excitement with coming up with a new song!

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 3:39 am

Blue Thunder wrote:
As a person with autism, my mind fixates on certain topics. Over the years, it has been washing machines, weather, and right now it's how the brain of a person that experiences autism works. I am obsessed with my own brain and I love getting to know people who have similarities to me. It is a breath of fresh air when I can go through life unmasked and just be myself. I work with kids that experience autism now and it is amazing because I feel a connection with them. I get them because of the way I see the world.

I'm trying to show NTs that they have confused rationalization with rational thought, and how that happens. I got into that because they ignore sound engineering, to the point that they are wrecking the natural world that we all depend on. Basically, trying to save your kids from living in a disaster zone.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 9:42 pm

My passion is arts and crafts. I like to loom knit, sketch with coloured pens and pencils, do watercolours and paintings with acrylic paints. I don't do oil painting because oil paints are very hard to clean and they're not within my means.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 9:45 pm

My passion is up to the whims of my brain's hyperfixations. Lately, that is mental disorders.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

hapyecakehapyepie
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2024, 10:16 pm

My passion at the moment is finding out what conciousness is exactly and how it works, comes about, ect.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2024, 10:28 pm

Woodwind instruments and their history. Also music history in general.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 10:39 pm

1. UFOs and Alien abduction
2. Ancient history
Feel free to post discussions