Page 1 of 13 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 9:39 pm

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/JHkmK4 ... tid=KsPBc6

And as time goes on and convictions stack up his chances dwindle ever further.

There are already enough never trump republicans to vote against trump, but all those on the fence who say IF he’s convicted of anything they won’t vote for him will be the cherry on top.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 9:42 pm

I think saying he can't win is a bit presumptuous. Joe Biden could keep repulsing voters with his actions, like his unwillingness to bring Bibi to heel.

Michigan is an important swing state and JoBi's inability or unwillingness to stop Israel's actions are going to hurt him in Dearborn. (for example)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 10:35 pm

I dunno. He might be able to win. Not saying I want him to, just saying he could. That possibility is real. It's not only standard republican places like the south where he has a lot of support. I do live in Michigan and there are no shortages of people who support him here...or at least no shortages of people who hate the opposition enough to put him in office again to spare them the alternatives.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 8:23 am

Because of those exit polls, the results in states where abortion was an issue, and the E. Jean Carroll trial I am not as pessimistic as I was a few months ago. Still, every time I hear progressive confidence they can beat Trump I go "Oh no, here we go again" and get frightened.

Third parties are usually given the short shrift because they usually don't matter much. But with dissatisfaction with both parties at such extreme levels it is a mistake to assume what was, will be for this election. If they are a factor how they would be a factor is anybody's guess.

Biden is also a much weaker candidate than he was in 2020.

Note to Dems, please stop trying to sell Bidennomics. You can throw out all the stats you want but it is about how people feel about the economy stupid. In the core of your base, they feel good, everywhere else not so much.

It is a mistake to assume because the 1/6 insurrection failed so spectacularly the next one be it from the right or the left will this time.

The worst oversite in the video is that the Electoral College was not mentioned. The electoral college was designed to advantage small states in this era it advantages the Republican candidate. In 2016 Clinton won the popular vote by 2.9 percent and lost. In 2020 Biden won the popular vote by 4 percent yet if 45,000 or so votes went the other way in a handful of states Trump would be plotting to subvert the constitutional provision against a three-term President.

If Trump loses and his attempts to overturn the election are thwarted again the worst will have been avoided. This country would still be in a s**t load of trouble.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 9:23 am

From the Movie Men in Black
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119654/ch ... /nm0000169
Edwards : Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.

Kay : A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

Trump's strategy is to use fear to make people make bad decisions. It might work.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 10:14 am

We also thought that he couldn't win in 2016....

Mrs. Clinton was all ready to go with her victory party. Even Trump thought that he was going to lose.

Jim Comey might have had something to do with the outcome.

It will all depend on the margins, and what surprises await us in October.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 10:27 am

Honey69 wrote:
We also thought that he couldn't win in 2016....

Mrs. Clinton was all ready to go with her victory party. Even Trump thought that he was going to lose.

Jim Comey might have had something to do with the outcome.

It will all depend on the margins, and what surprises await us in October.

While true, he barely won in 2016 and has lost support since - especially since J6 2021.. and add in all the indictments, legal proceedings, convictions (sexual assault, defamation, fraud.. so far.) and he’s hemorrhaging voters daily.

He’s a loser and he knows it. That’s why he’s already started with saying BS like “the only way the other side can win is if they cheat,” because he’s setting things up for his big lie V2 and turning his maga violence people loose again.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 1:24 pm

Well, you must be enjoying the show safely from Canada.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 2:57 pm

Honey69 wrote:
Well, you must be enjoying the show safely from Canada.

Everyone’s watching the same s**tshow from wherever they’re tuning in in the world IF they’re watching the trump train wreck still.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 5:46 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... republican
Trump might well win again – God help us if he does. If so, his victory will be due not only to the racial resentment of ageing white men, or to his weaponisation of culture wars or to algorithms and echo chambers, important as these factors are. It will also be the result of values embedded so deeply that we forget they are there.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 6:17 pm

Too early to make that call

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 6:57 pm

Colorado Supreme Court found that he participated in insurrection.. and just a day or two ago he posted on his 3rd rate social media soapbox his support for states opposing the SCOTUS ruling on the Southern border in Texas.. which Farron Cousins pointed out ought to be used in court to demonstrate that he’s continuing to support insurrectionists fighting the federal administration & SCOTUS on border issues.

Just some more reasons he may even be disqualified from ballots.

Then there’s his very obvious rapid cognitive decline. Mixing up people, places, dates etc. For all of his crimes against the USA during and after his first term (including stealing and sharing national secrets) + just who he is as a piece of s**t in a suit, he’s the most unqualified person for the job.

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2024, 7:48 pm

I'm not feeling the confidence. The stakes with this election are so high, it's going to turn my hair grey. We can not rest on our laurels. I'm not claiming that anyone here is, but having faith in the US electorate to do what is right is a mistake. As has been proven time and time again.

There are too many factors here, and too many moving factors. Also, a lot of the voting population is ignorant. They fall for propaganda or are just otherwise clueless. Like the people who think that high gas prices are Biden's fault (they are largely out of the president's control). These are the people who decide our elections, it seems. :pale:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 9:09 pm

Harmonie wrote:
I'm not feeling the confidence. The stakes with this election are so high, it's going to turn my hair grey. We can not rest on our laurels. I'm not claiming that anyone here is, but having faith in the US electorate to do what is right is a mistake. As has been proven time and time again.

There are too many factors here, and too many moving factors. Also, a lot of the voting population is ignorant. They fall for propaganda or are just otherwise clueless. Like the people who think that high gas prices are Biden's fault (they are largely out of the president's control). These are the people who decide our elections, it seems. :pale:

Fair point.

I do agree with all that have said the only solution is for e v e r y o n e to get out and vote in bigger numbers than trump supporters.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 2:22 am

It's not enough to cut the head off of the snake, the threat hasn't passed until the head has been annihilated. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 4:11 am

I wouldn't put faith into American voters.

Trump has every chance of winning.

I have seen in some polls that he is actually leading in terms of voting intention.