I got a medical alert bracelet disclosing my diagnosis

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2024, 6:03 pm

While I feel that autism is far less medically relevant than my diabetes (which is also listed on there), there are things that can severely affect my sensory issues and I guess that was my reasoning behind it

If I'm ever questioned about it by a medical professional, I guess I will just tell them that it means I need direct communication (no beating around the bush) and that I am prone to sensory overload and that some medical equipment may affect that

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 6:00 am

It seems like a good idea. It could be useful in a stressful situation in which you can just show the bracelet instead of having to go into an explanation.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 8:29 am

I have one as well. I wear it 24/7. Mine is also attached to a website with my medical profile and first responders can also call in and get important medical information that I put on my profile. I have had first responders use it before when I was nonverbal.

Wreck It Ralph

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 11:04 am

I think those bracelets are a very good idea. I'd get one if I had the money.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 3:47 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I think those bracelets are a very good idea. I'd get one if I had the money.

Mine is a RoadID. It was originally created by and for bicyclists who ride very long distances. The bracelets and other products they have are extremely inexpensive and if you want your medical profile on the website so that first responders can access it, it costs $10 per year

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 3:48 am

That's a great idea Colliegrace.
I hope you never need to put it to use, but I'm glad you have it anyway!

I should likely have one myself.
They tried to give me one after my first stroke.
I can't handle bracelets for sensory reasons.
Then they said to get a necklace.
I think that would be worse.

I have all my medical info on my phone on that Emergency page (iPhone)
My OT said I should put a sticker on the back of my phone.
It could tell people to check my Emergency page.
I could also put one in my wallet with my ID.

I wonder if the bracelet makers make medic-alert stickers?

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 8:30 am

I have sensory issues with necklaces, but not bracelets. Anything that hangs on my chest causes an unpleasant sensation.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 12:58 pm

colliegrace wrote:
If I'm ever questioned about it by a medical professional, I guess I will just tell them that it means I need direct communication (no beating around the bush) and that I am prone to sensory overload and that some medical equipment may affect that

Like this. :!: I have difficulty paring it all down to a sentence or two. My last traffic stop I had a meltdown (cried inconsolably the entire stop) and my last medical trauma I was asked about my pain from 1 to 10 and apparently I didn't answer "correctly" (I said "9" b/c the frustrated paramedic asked it was the worst pain in my life, I went mute as all I could think was "I'm not dead yet" ---but I was getting close at the moment). I keep telling myself I'll handle these situations better the next time.. but think maybe a card or bracelet wouldn't be a bad idea... something always comes up...

Kudos to you for implementing this for yourself.

King Kat 1
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2024, 1:21 pm

Where is a good place to get one of these? I've thought this might be a good idea if I'm in a bad spot and either shutdown or I'm on the edge of a meltdown

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 5:16 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
That's a great idea Colliegrace.
I hope you never need to put it to use, but I'm glad you have it anyway!

I should likely have one myself.
They tried to give me one after my first stroke.
I can't handle bracelets for sensory reasons.
Then they said to get a necklace.
I think that would be worse.

I have all my medical info on my phone on that Emergency page (iPhone)
My OT said I should put a sticker on the back of my phone.
It could tell people to check my Emergency page.
I could also put one in my wallet with my ID.

I wonder if the bracelet makers make medic-alert stickers?
Road ID has one that you can put on your shoe laces

Wreck It Ralph

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 5:17 pm

Hmmm. Thanks!

My first thought was that I don't wear trainers often, but it's better than nothing.
I wear them enough.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 5:17 pm

King Kat 1 wrote:
Where is a good place to get one of these? I've thought this might be a good idea if I'm in a bad spot and either shutdown or I'm on the edge of a meltdown
Mine is a RoadID

RoadID.com

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 5:19 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Hmmm. Thanks!

My first thought was that I don't wear trainers often, but it's better than nothing.
I wear them enough.
They have so many choices, you can probably find something that you can use. They even make them for your dog. They also make some bracelets with clasps that children cannot undo.

Wreck It Ralph

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 11:30 pm

King Kat 1 wrote:

I got mine off Etsy. There's lots of places. Actually, the Dr who diagnosed me gave me a card to print out that I can put in my wallet that explains that I'm autistic and what that might entail, says "please don't assume I'm being difficult on purpose" and stuff like that.

So I have the card in my wallet, and the little bracelet that I wear most places regardless if I have my wallet on me or not.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 11:33 pm

SharonB wrote:
Like this. :!: I have difficulty paring it all down to a sentence or two. My last traffic stop I had a meltdown (cried inconsolably the entire stop) and my last medical trauma I was asked about my pain from 1 to 10 and apparently I didn't answer "correctly" (I said "9" b/c the frustrated paramedic asked it was the worst pain in my life, I went mute as all I could think was "I'm not dead yet" ---but I was getting close at the moment). I keep telling myself I'll handle these situations better the next time.. but think maybe a card or bracelet wouldn't be a bad idea... something always comes up...

Kudos to you for implementing this for yourself.

The most discombobulated I have ever been was on the subway in Washington DC. I began to get very, extremely overloaded by all the motions and lights, etc. I was still in a state for like 20 minutes after getting off! I remember thinking people probably thought I was on drugs cuz that was the most severe my sensory overload had ever gotten and it was affecting the way I moved around.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2024, 8:17 am

bracelets, medals, necklaces, wallet cards... all can be helpful in identifying your struggles to others in case of an emergency.

https://aane.org/autism-info-faqs/libra ... -lanyards/

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson