Nazi sentenced to 18 years for transphobic hate crime

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 4:43 pm

’White Lives Matter' member gets 18 years for firebombing church that planned drag events

Quote:
A member of the pro-Nazi group White Lives Matter was sentenced to 18 years in federal prison for firebombing an Ohio church that had been planning to host two drag events.

Aimeen Penny, a 20-year-old far-right extremist from Ohio, was arrested last year after he made Molotov cocktails and threw them at the Community Church of Chesterland in Chersterland, Ohio, on March 25, 2023.

Penny pleaded guilty in October to a church arson hate crime as well as to using fire and explosives to commit a felony. Judge Bridget Meehan Brennan sentenced Penny to a total of 216 months in prison on Monday.

In a sentencing memo, federal prosecutors said that church burnings "have a long and sordid history in the United States," and said that burning a church "is as potent a symbol of hate as burning a cross on a lawn or leaving a hanging noose." According to prosecutors, Penny had previously traveled to Wadsworth, Ohio, in advance of a drag queen story hour to distribute propaganda flyers for the group. During an interview with the FBI, Penny "stated that he would have felt better if the Molotov cocktails were more effective and burned the entire church to the ground," prosecutors wrote.

Appearing in court for the sentencing, Penny did not apologize and justified his actions as protecting children, according to the Columbus Dispatch.

Prosecutors said that Penny was a member of the White Lives Matter group, which they described as having "racist, pro-Nazi, and homophobic views."

Inside Penny's vehicle, prosecutors wrote, authorities found a "M4 A1 Carbine 5.56mm assault rifle with scope, 7 rifle magazines containing 5.56mm ammunition, a Ruger handgun, 3 magazines containing 9mm ammunition, a tactical vest, a shield, and 3 knives in sheaths" while a search of his residence found "a Glock 9mm handgun, 4 magazines containing 9 mm ammunition, a Smith and Wesson MP-15 rifle, a Walther Pistol Model P22, Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works 12-gauge shotgun, 15 magazines loaded with ammunition, various boxes of ammunition, and Nazi memorabilia."

Penny, the FBI said, wrote a "manifesto" that took pride in the attack, claiming that he "was respected for it" in jail. The manifesto was "full of twisted and false historical narratives, calls for war and violence, justifications for his actions, and the spewing of transphobic and anti-Semitic hatred," prosecutors said.

Penny believed that he was doing "God's work" and that he "steered history" by attacking the church, prosecutors said. Penny, authorities said, appeared to have "increasingly radicalized via online interactions since at least 2017," and "gravitated towards Nazi ideology and white supremacist groups."

Matthew G. Olsen, the assistant attorney general of the Justice Department’s National Security Division, said the sentence "holds Mr. Penny accountable for carrying out violence against an Ohio church because he disagreed with the way congregants chose to express their beliefs,” and that "acts of extremist violence have no place in our communities."

Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division said officials hoped the "significant sentence sends a clear and resounding message that this type of hate-fueled attack against a church will not be tolerated" in America.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 1:46 am

These Aryan "heroes" never show their face or fight like men. Only in packs attacking the vulnerable or when they have the firepower advantage.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 8:23 am

These types of people are the very reason why we need a total gun ban. Not gun control, but the complete repeal of the 2nd Amendment.

Also, we need hate speech laws stricter than the ones in Germany and Sweden. Even quoting verses from the Bible or Quran that condemn homosexuality should be criminalized.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 3:57 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Also, we need hate speech laws stricter than the ones in Germany and Sweden. Even quoting verses from the Bible or Quran that condemn homosexuality should be criminalized.

I posit the current push by conservatives to end "woke" hate speech legislation in workplaces, schools and in publications perpetuates public stigma against minorities who have traditionally been marginalised.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 6:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

I posit the current push by conservatives to end "woke" hate speech legislation in workplaces, schools and in publications perpetuates public stigma against minorities who have traditionally been marginalised.

I would support hate speech bans just to control what evangelicals do and say. Maybe we can ban sexual abstinence next.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 7:06 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Maybe we can ban sexual abstinence next.

This sound like you think the state should force people to engage in sex regardless of their consent. People have every right to choose to abstain, denying people that right means forcing them to endure rape.

Tim are you actually pro state sanctioned rape, or did you just pick a terrible choice of words? This isn't the first time you've advocated for banning abstinence either, so let's clear up what you're actually in favour of.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 7:27 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

This sound like you think the state should force people to engage in sex regardless of their consent. People have every right to choose to abstain, denying people that right means forcing them to endure rape.

Tim are you actually pro state sanctioned rape, or did you just pick a terrible choice of words? This isn't the first time you've advocated for banning abstinence either, so let's clear up what you're actually in favour of.

It's about denying bodily autonomy to evangelicals, just like they've done to countless red state women.

Ultimately, everything conservatives hold dear should be outlawed. Guns, hate speech, abstinence, pickup trucks, country music...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 7:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

It's about denying bodily autonomy to evangelicals, just like they've done to countless red state women.

Ultimately, everything conservatives hold dear should be outlawed. Guns, hate speech, abstinence, pickup trucks, country music...

To what benefit? It seems like you're willing to excuse all sorts of totalitarian nonsense so long as it antagonizes the right people.

You're no different from far-right extremists except for who you hate. You clearly have zero actual attachment to notions like bodily autonomy considering how quick you are to advocate for denying some people that right. You kinda seem entirely without principles, just so long as right-wingers are antagonized the means are justified.

Banning pickup trucks and country music won't help contribute to a more just society, but admitting that's something you'd seek does eliminate your credibility as someone who desires to make positive contributions to society.

If right-wingers could bring their strawman conceptions of the left to life, they'd get someone with similar values and priorities as you genuinely espouse.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 02 Feb 2024, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 7:54 pm

Banning/outlawing abstinence? Seriously?! 8O

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 8:03 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Banning/outlawing abstinence? Seriously?! 8O

I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows that advocating for state-sanctioned rape ought to be condemned in the strongest terms one's native tongue allows for.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 8:11 pm

From what I’ve heard, schools in conservative areas tend to push abstinence in sex ed classes to the point that they don’t teach consent and safe sex at all or, at least, enough. As a homeschooler, I was only taught abstinence with disastrous results. That stuff needs to change, but there’s nothing wrong with making the choice to be abstinent.

I’d rather live in a red state now than under a regime that encouraged or enforced rape.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 8:15 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
From what I’ve heard, schools in conservative areas tend to push abstinence in sex ed classes to the point that they don’t teach consent and safe sex at all or, at least, enough. As a homeschooler, I was only taught abstinence with disastrous results. That stuff needs to change, but there’s nothing wrong with making the choice to be abstinent.

I’d rather live in a red state now than under a regime that encouraged or enforced rape.

It's one thing to ban the teaching of abstinence-only sex ed in favour of mandating proper sex-ed, that would be pretty reasonable.

But banning the practice of abstinence is literally just letting the state into everyone's bedrooms on a scale that would make dominionist right-wingers blush.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 9:15 pm

In short, a Mao-style Cultural Revolution is the only way to impose NYC/San Francisco/Seattle values on the rest of the country--which is my goal.

And no, I do not support rape, I am merely trying to deprogram people who buy into purity culture. When I talk about "banning abstinence", I mean doing away with purity culture.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 9:20 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
In short, a Mao-style Cultural Revolution is the only way to impose NYC/San Francisco/Seattle values on the rest of the country--which is my goal.

Except that a totalitarian revolution isn't reflective of big city values in the US so imposing a totalitarian revolution isn't a viable method of achieving that goal.

You can't brutalize your way towards social democracy and the more brutality you're willing to use, the further from social democracy you'll get.

If your goal is to impose a Leninist style dictatorship stop pretending to be a moderate progressive.
If your goal is to advance social democracy drop the Leninist schtick because it's never going to be a viable path towards that goal.
If your goal is just to be an edgelord, say so and no one will need to take what you say seriously ever again.

Tim_Tex wrote:
And no, I do not support rape, I am merely trying to deprogram people who buy into purity culture. When I talk about "banning abstinence", I mean doing away with purity culture.

Then say what you mean because 'banning abstinence' means something very different from 'trying to crack down on a culture that glorifies abstinence'.

If one states their goal is to literally ban abstinence, you can see how that's synonymous with 'mandating non-consensual sexual activities', right?

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 9:55 pm

People choose to be abstinent for many reasons that are unrelated to purity culture.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 9:58 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

That would put a lot of pressure on a lot of young people.