We don't girls here - Parents protest outside school

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 7:26 pm

A barrister whose son attends a prestigious Sydney boys’ school set to go co-ed has labelled the reasoning offered to parents as “woke mumbo jumbo” at a protest held on the first day of class for 2024.
Newington College, a 160-year-old institution at Stanmore in the city’s inner west, announced in November it would start accepting girls into kindergarten and Year 5 from 2026.

The call has sparked anger within the community of old boys and parents, with a few dozen people marching to the Stanmore Rd entrance holding placards on Wednesday morning.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/paren ... eda49fdfb1

A post on a change.org petition promoting the protest had remarked “there’s no need to be peaceful anymore”.“All we’ve been given is woke mumbo jumbo.”

Imagine wealthy folk getting violent over seeing little girls entering their prestigious school

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 7:44 pm

Maybe I'm old school but I don't have an issue with all boys' schools or all girls' schools.

I'm not sure what the benefit is of single-sex education, but as long as they're tolerant and accepting of trans kids and multiculturalism / accommodations / IEPs, I don't see it as any different than having an all boys' / men's or all girls' / women's sports team which promotes diversity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 9:22 pm

In the case of this school the instigators of the protest are the "old boys" association members. They have instigated current parents to protest

I was interested in the story because they invoked the word "Woke" over allowing girls to enrol in the school. The reason might have to do with the perception that boys schools tend to be breeding grounds for mysogyny.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 10:14 pm

Yeah, I get that. Obviously I'm not cool with misogyny or sexism. Where I live there are lots of private schools for all boys or girls, and even some private, gendered universities. The girls' schools are known for developing leadership and confidence in girls / women particularly in STEM and business. The boys' schools are generally seen as "old money", but knowing former students and faculty I've seen that they're actually quite progressive and don't tolerate misogyny. They teach women's history and women's studies as well as gender studies / sociology classes.

Maybe I've been spoiled.

I wouldn't tolerate the attitude of "we don't do girls here ...." or people being pinheads about it though. If the school wants to uphold a tradition of being gendered (for whatever reason) then they need to be accountable to teaching social responsibility and ethics, as well.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2024, 10:35 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Yeah, I get that. Obviously I'm not cool with misogyny or sexism. Where I live there are lots of private schools for all boys or girls, and even some private, gendered universities. The girls' schools are known for developing leadership and confidence in girls / women particularly in STEM and business. The boys' schools are generally seen as "old money", but knowing former students and faculty I've seen that they're actually quite progressive and don't tolerate misogyny. They teach women's history and women's studies as well as gender studies / sociology classes.

Maybe I've been spoiled.

I wouldn't tolerate the attitude of "we don't do girls here ...." or people being pinheads about it though. If the school wants to uphold a tradition of being gendered (for whatever reason) then they need to be accountable to teaching social responsibility and ethics, as well.

The irony is the outcome for boys in co-ed schools > single sex schools,
https://www.2gb.com/why-do-boys-perform ... x-schools/

The opposite is the case for girls
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... n-analysis

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 2:51 am

I don’t know that particular school, but in the U.S., at least, trends have been away from single sex schools towards coed ones for the simple reason that students increasingly prefer coed schools and a school can’t maintain its exclusive reputation if it doesn’t have enough excess applications to reject a hearty percentage. Simple matter of survival. Odds are that is exactly the case here, even if a parent wants to cause a ruckus using an inappropriately placed trigger word. But, as noted, I’m just guessing.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 3:31 am

We can't have girls come in and give the boys cooties, can we?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2024, 4:20 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I don’t know that particular school, but in the U.S., at least, trends have been away from single sex schools towards coed ones for the simple reason that students increasingly prefer coed schools and a school can’t maintain its exclusive reputation if it doesn’t have enough excess applications to reject a hearty percentage. .

The school in question is a prestigious boys school with a 160 year history. it's likely churned out politicians, leaders and men of social standing. I think there is some element of resistance here that's reminiscent of old men's only clubs being forced to open their doors to women.