Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 2:43 am

Today her two murderers will be sentenced.

This horrific murder was committed by two 16 year olds and the judge has made the decision to name them both. They could have remained anonymous due to their ages.

I feel that the decision of the judge does bring about true justice for this beautiful girl who's life was cut short by this premeditated and heinous act of violence. RIP Brianna.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Brianna_Ghey

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 5:35 am

I don't know how much true justice there can ever be in cases like this. It's just all desperately sad and pointless.

If you can't undo the wrong then all you're left with is protecting the rest of society from her killers, and/or exacting some sort of revenge on them. Neither of which seem satisfactory to me, or anything like justice.

The killers were 15 years old at the time. They were/are children. I don't know if we're talking about genuine psychopaths here, or kids that are so badly damaged that they ended up doing this abominable thing.

I don't really understand why anyone needs to know their names. They're going to be locked up, we don't need to be on the lookout for them. If people know their names, they can find out their family's names and that's worrying to me.

I can't help but feel there ought to be a path to redemption for children who kill, somewhere a long way down the line. I hope someone, somewhere is investigating what happened with these kids, how they ended up as killers and using that information to both help them, and put in early warning systems so it can be spotted before it happens again.

Perhaps I'm naive but it seems to me like the only good thing that could possibly come out of a situation like this is if those two 16-year-olds go through the process of imprisonment and come out of the other end fully cognizant of the harm they've caused and prepared to make amends by contributing as much to society as they can.

I just don't have any faith that our prison system is capable of rehabilitating people to that extent. It seems more likely that they either stay there indefinitely or come out more broken than when they went in.

I don't know, it just depresses me.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 8:24 am

I wouldn't like to say they're psychopaths either but I just felt as though if they didn't get named they were some how getting away with it. I know that sounds stupid because they are getting prison sentences but they will get out one day and live a free life as if they haven't done anything.

At least if they are named then they will have to carry the stigma of what they did.

That's just how I feel.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 10:24 am

Minimum 22 years for Scarlett Jenkinson

Minimum 20 years for Eddie Ratcliffe