Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 2:04 am

Bought my wife pink orchids

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Feb 2024, 6:31 am

Me and my husband ignore it but as my daughter bought a big heart lolly for me and a makeup box for her sister (all from her own pocket money), I decided to give something to them.
My younger girl asked for the Heartstopper series and for the older one I found this:
"Kotam cię" is untranslatable. It's a mix of "kocham cię" - "I love you" and "kot" - "cat".

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 2:19 pm

I bought Barb a rose for Valentine's Day.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 2:40 pm

It's definitely a commercial holiday created so people will buy things, but I think it's fine to have fun and enjoy it. It's kind of sweet. I don't really like the pressure it puts on people to feel like they have to take part. And for people who don't have a partner (and wish they did) it can really be kind of a bummer. So here's to everyone who is partnerless! :heart:

(I've recently met someone. I know I've complained a lot here, but things seem to be looking up.)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 2:46 pm

That's good.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 9:02 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
honeytoast wrote:
I made my own Valentine's Day Card for tomorrow. It's a surprise

That's the right way IMO. The great thing is that you have to think of your own message, if you want a message at all. Much more creative and genuine than buying a ready-made one where somebody else wrote the message - it's like paying somebody to do your romancing for you.

Homemade Valentine’s Day card is more special, personal & free :D

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 9:14 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:
I don’t know why they say diamonds are the girl best friend, that not true for me. I don’t like diamonds now, they tooooo expensive.
They say diamonds are a symbol for your love. However they don't directly say that buying diamonds is a sign that a guy is willing to spend a lot of money on his partner even if he can not really afford to & it's not practical to blow his money proving his love when he could spend it on something to benefit the both of them. There's a reason criminals rob jewelry stores & the high price & popularity of diamonds is why.

Give the gift of carbon nanotubes. They are much more useful than a typical shiny diamond.

I be happy with a gift card or go to a fancy restaurant.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 9:28 pm

bee33 wrote:
It's definitely a commercial holiday created so people will buy things, but I think it's fine to have fun and enjoy it. It's kind of sweet. I don't really like the pressure it puts on people to feel like they have to take part. And for people who don't have a partner (and wish they did) it can really be kind of a bummer. So here's to everyone who is partnerless! :heart:

(I've recently met someone. I know I've complained a lot here, but things seem to be looking up.)

I believe if you don’t have enough money, then don’t buy it.

Stormyweathers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2024, 9:36 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
I don’t understand Valentine’s Day, I know it’s about love, but people can celebrate love everyday.

My wife and I married out of the back of a limo in Las Vegas on Valentines day. My "Tuxedo", a T-Shirt decorated to look like a Tux complete with an actual purple bowtie, is hanging in the closet behind me right now.

It's been enough years now that I'm comfortable saying we'll walk together until one of us is dead.

Marking a day helps me to pause and remember things that are important but don't always come to the front of my mind. I think of holidays like Valentines Day as emotional Post-It Notes.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 3:23 pm

magz wrote:
Me and my husband ignore it but as my daughter bought a big heart lolly for me and a makeup box for her sister (all from her own pocket money), I decided to give something to them.
My younger girl asked for the Heartstopper series and for the older one I found this:
"Kotam cię" is untranslatable. It's a mix of "kocham cię" - "I love you" and "kot" - "cat".

Those are adorable.