haven't eaten chocolate since august 2022

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2024, 10:59 pm

between 2012 and august 2022, ate one serving of candy (usually chocolate), per day. once in a while, went a couple days without chocolate.

between august 2022 and today, have not eaten chocolate. congratulations to me. @ first, wanted to lose weight, lose percent fat, become less uptight (anxious). however, physically and emotionally, chocolate has not appeared to have a discernable impact on my worthless corpse.

not a controlled experiment
not a representative sample

been craving chocolate a lot, esp when feeling badly or tired. which is the vast majority of the time. some articles claim that chocolate has the same impact on the brain, as love.

a couple milestones until i eat chocolate again:

year 2024kaiser testosterone prescription
moving house (sister told me i had to move out, then she said now is not a good time financially.)
41st birthday (middle of march)
taxes finished (i am almost finished)

Wonder what chocolate even tastes like @ this point. Will I like chocolate more or less, when I resume regular chocolate consumption?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 2:44 am

I think you will take one bite and marvel at how delicious it is.

Having said that, there are many types of chocolate, from milk chocolate to very dark chocolate. I have always preferred dark chocolate and recently I have been eating mostly very dark chocolate (70% to 90% cacao) and now when I bite into milk chocolate I find it too sweet.

I don't think I could go a day without chocolate. :)

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 3:31 am

congrats!

bee33 wrote:
very dark chocolate (70% to 90% cacao)

:eew: :eew: :eew:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 4:40 am

I've lost my craving for chocolate since getting Covid back in 2020

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 5:52 am

Chocolate is big part of my life.

I hope to never give it up.

I encourage you to take up chocolate again.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 6:41 am

blitzkrieg wrote:

"you should eat some more chocolate"

:P

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 8:34 am

ocean wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

"you should eat some more chocolate"

:P

Haha.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 6:19 pm

blitzkrieg

after the Franchise Tax Board tells me, that it has taken my tax return for tax year 2023, and after my 41st birthday (middle of march), i will eat chocolate again.

not really craving any particular food besides chocolate. however, plenty of foods look a lot better than the allegedly healthy "food" i have been eating. my coworkers eat: Popeyes, mcdonald's, guadalajara, food cart, CA pizza kitchen.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 2:44 am

It's something I tried for a month long.

Chocolate would be a bit more bitter... And I like it bittersweet.

Maybe, just maybe...
Chocolate craving is somewhat an alternative to or a sign of craving for, say magnesium or whatever 'healthy chocolates' supposed to have?
Not that I know or suggest to take supplements, maybe that's the reason?

Like how it is with junk food for certain vitamins and minerals from nuts and fruits?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 4:19 am

I've had issues with overeating chocolate my whole life. I've gone through periods, sometimes long periods, of complete abstinence but it always seems to draw me back in. Congrats on your efforts shortfatbalduglyman.

But something weird is happening lately. It's not working anymore. I eat the chocolate but i don't really like the taste of it and i don't get much of a dopamine hit off it.

I'm a bit excited about it because I've always wanted to not like chocolate.

The thing is my brain hasn't let go of it yet. I still expect to get some pleasure from it so I'm still eating it, just not getting any results. I wonder how long it'll take for my brain to get the message?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 4:56 am

DuckHairback wrote:
I've had issues with overeating chocolate my whole life. I've gone through periods, sometimes long periods, of complete abstinence but it always seems to draw me back in. Congrats on your efforts shortfatbalduglyman.

But something weird is happening lately. It's not working anymore. I eat the chocolate but i don't really like the taste of it and i don't get much of a dopamine hit off it.

I'm a bit excited about it because I've always wanted to not like chocolate.

The thing is my brain hasn't let go of it yet. I still expect to get some pleasure from it so I'm still eating it, just not getting any results. I wonder how long it'll take for my brain to get the message?

How do you know you are not getting a dopamine hit from chocolate anymore? It that something measurable, or just a perception?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 5:17 am

^Just perception. I'm not measuring it or anything. I'm just not getting any sort of pleasure from it any more. And it tastes kind of gross. I thought it was because they were reducing the amount of cocoa butter and replacing it with palm oil (cost cutting), which i think is part of it, but it can't be the whole story.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 5:26 am

DuckHairback wrote:
^Just perception. I'm not measuring it or anything. I'm just not getting any sort of pleasure from it any more. And it tastes kind of gross. I thought it was because they were reducing the amount of cocoa butter and replacing it with palm oil (cost cutting), which i think is part of it, but it can't be the whole story.

Interesting.

I have gone off chocolate briefly in the past, for periods of time. I find that if I vary up the type of chocolate I am eating, then that is less likely to happen.

There are a lot of chocolate products out there.