Who did you want to be? Do you remember why?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

valen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Feb 2024, 4:46 pm

It's been long enough that I don't remember the details of why, but I really wanted to be Professor Jackson from Stargate SG-1. I even drew a picture of a child relative to be an OC self-insert, which I almost never did.

Andraia from ReBoot, but mostly while she was a child. I liked that she just knew a lot of stuff and fully didn't understand impractical things, but everyone liked her because she was cool.

From anime it was Edward Elric, and Maka Albarn. I liked that she was dedicated and a diligent hard worker.

As a teen I once saw a snippet of a show I actually never watched, where a character was giving a presentation on something, and mentioned he had a doctorate in the subject. Someone else said, wasn't your doctorate in something else? He said he also had a doctorate in that... because he had seven doctorates. For whatever reason, it stuck with me forever: I really wanted to be that guy, actually. I thought that was so cool.

(No, as an adult, I don't have even one doctorate now >_> Those are pretty expensive, really.)

I also did like Spock, but rather than thinking he was particularly cool I think I just thought anyone who picked a fight with him was particularly wrong. I did not understand any reason why anyone would complain so much about his perfectly reasonable opinions.

(Sorry if it ends up being a very standard question. :oops: I'm still not very familiar with the forums and couldn't figure out how to use the search function to find out.)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 5:21 pm

Hokulea
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Feb 2024, 6:57 pm

Superman although not because I wanted to be Clark Kent but because I wanted to be a superman as in have superpowers. I'm not sure if I'd really want to be someone else, but rather wish I could do what they do/have what they have.

valen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Feb 2024, 12:03 pm

That makes sense, Hokulea. I think a lot of times it probably is some aspect of the character's life that is appealing, even if their personality isn't something you'd aspire to or even necessarily think much about. Even though I listed personality traits for many of mine (so it must have been at least part of the criteria for me) almost all of them *do* have something really cool or supernatural going on that would be really neat to experience or be capable of.

That must be the case for Dr. Manhattan too. I never saw the movie but I remember thinking that when I read the comic, that it's fascinating to just imagine what that life would be like. Is that related to why you aspired to or identified with him, Double Retired?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 1:37 pm

valen wrote:
That must be the case for Dr. Manhattan too. I never saw the movie but I remember thinking that when I read the comic, that it's fascinating to just imagine what that life would be like. Is that related to why you aspired to or identified with him, Double Retired?
We first saw the movie in a theater and we both liked it. After awhile we agreed that it was a very long movie and that we hoped it didn't stop! (At around 3h long is long.)

Why would I think being like Dr. Manhattan might be nice? He appears to have become eternal with nearly infinite powers. And he's advanced enough he doesn't care. Like him, I'm very much an introvert (I'm still working on the immortality, omnipotence, and omniscience though).

valen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Feb 2024, 11:09 am

That's an extremely strong endorsement- everyone I heard at the time did not like it, so we didn't see it even though we both had enjoyed the original. But, that's what you sometimes get for listening to the crowd; hearing that now, maybe I can check it out sometime. Honestly I'm sure I'd enjoy the experience, no matter what I thought of it.

Those reasons make sense. It is pretty great to see him shrugging off all of the incredible things he's doing. In real life I think people would feel incredibly threatened by that, but as I recall they do around him too- and he still doesn't care. Too advanced!

Good luck in your work on immortality, omnipotence, and omniscience. :)

I assume (unlike for Dr. Manhattan) that it's an incremental process. Which makes me imagine you could somehow track it with progress bars where the end of each is still some tiny fraction of `forever`, `capable of literally anything`, and `knows all that can be known`. Is it possible there could be a quick quiz to help gauge the current results?

I'm getting carried away. If there was something like that I think personally it would raise my verbal IQ assessment- I really tanked all the questions about knowing things. They should have asked about more specific subjects.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2024, 1:26 pm

Diane Chambers in Cheers

I was crazy about her character. She was an English Lit grad from Harvard who went to work in a beer pub and fell for a bad boy, Sam Malone. I was in high school and starting my undergrad Literature studies at the time. I was crazy about her clothes and tried to buy similar, especially her dresses or blouses with dainty collars, or lace. I loved her witty rapport with Sam, her snappy one-liners, and the way she tried to be a book snob but had more fun with regular people, especially her heart-throb Sam. She was awkward and nerdy and loving, and everything I wanted to be. I was also envious that she had a place "where everybody knew her name", because I've never had a friendship group or a place like that to go, in my entire life.

Diane Keaton in Father of the Bride

When this movie came out I was smitten with her character. She was the epitome of what I wished I could be as a wife and mother. I loved her warm smile and the way she made people feel at ease. Her clothes were beautiful and stylish, her home was immaculate, and she got to be married to Steve Martin. I knew I could never be like that. Of course it was Hollywood and unrealistic but she had that perfect balance of inner peace, love, warmth, and vulnerability.

I feel like I need to watch both now.

Edit:
I almost forgot Bailey Quarters in WKRP in Cincinnati. :heart:

I was much younger, maybe 10-11 years old, when I fell in love with Bailey. She was a very smart and talented news reporter for a radio station, doing an internship program. She was a deep thinker who felt stories with her heart and cared deeply about everything / everyone. She was funny and sweet but also tough as nails when she stood up for what she believed, or she needed to help her friends. I admired her integrity because her values never changed. She was very cool because she had her studious side, when she wore her lovely big glasses, but she also had a rocker / rebellious side when she fell in love with her best friend Johnny Fever (bad boy) and ended up sleeping with him. I wanted them to get married soooo badly but it's even better that they never did.

Years later I named my dog Bailey, in part because of her. The other part was for the drink Bailey's, and George Bailey from It's a Wonderful Life. :lol:

Here I go again - Josephine March in Little Women.

https://youtu.be/BxZnTBJjn08?si=laKZY_UgG_Fm3qIg

I loved her in the book but especially portrayed by Winona Ryder in 1994.
She was a brilliant writer and philosopher, and she got to marry the super hot German Professor Bhaer.

I think I'm done now.

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

07 Feb 2024, 5:05 pm

I really wanted to be like Bill Nye. I wanted to learn all I could about science and then share it with others.

I'm a senior in university now. And yea, sharing science is almost as fun as I thought it would be.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 5:06 am

Darth Vader.
Yes, yes, I know, Vader's evil, and without his cybernetic parts and armor, he's fragile to the point of dying, but he's still the coolest looking guy I've ever seen ever since I was a kid! Plus, he kicks arse, and takes crap from no one!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 7:45 pm

I wanted to be Austin Powers, because he's the most shagedellic nerd, Baby! :nerdy:

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 10:27 pm

At one point I had a special interest for Alvin and the Chipmunks (primarily the cartoons from the 20th century). I didn't want to BE Alvin, but I used to roleplay the siblings in my head quite frequently. And Alvin was my favorite, though I disliked his later, more selfish character.

Now, what I DID want to be was a dog. Because dogs have been a lifelong special interest. I identify to some degree as a dog therian even now.

Later on, I wanted to be Ahsoka Tano from The Clone Wars. I even called my dad "Sky Guy", which was Ahsoka's nickname for Anakin.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2024, 11:32 pm

I wanted to be a superhero mashup

Strong like hulk
Resourceful like batman
Computer literate like iron Man
And trained in martial arts like the tmnt

That's what sparked a lot of my hobbies
Body building
Programing
Karate

I probably won't save the world one day, but I think about my superhero dreams often so I can achieve the dreams of my youth

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Feb 2024, 10:21 am

Katy Perry (who I find untalented these days), Brittany Miller and The Pink Berets

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 6:11 pm

The earliest "I wish I was..." would have been the Frankenstein Monster, but maybe more so The Wolf Man. I'm not sure I realized there would be a down side.