Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 10:52 pm

She been peeing alot more. Years ago, she had a bladder problem, it was hard giving her medication. I’m bad mother, I can’t take her to the vet, I don’t know how much it will be.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 11:00 pm

Does she flood the box and has she lost weight?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2024, 11:52 pm

Sweet Pea hugs

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 1:49 am

Nothing will be good without money.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 2:26 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Does she flood the box and has she lost weight?

this the first time I noticed, her litter box is ok.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 6:52 pm

I'd take her to the vet ASAP if I were you, assuming you can afford it. One of our cats died after he had that symptom, and would probably have lived if we'd had his condition looked at quicker. He was diagnosed with diabetes but he went downhill before the medication had time to work. It was rotten luck because when it became clear he needed urgent help it was Thanksgiving and all the local vets were closed, and we'd noticed that every time we took him on a long journey it made him quite ill, so we didn't dare take him on a 3-hour journey.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 9:00 pm

That's what I was thinking too. Diabetes. ^ My cat with Diabetes flooded the box so much it overflowed with urine like a bathtub spilling over. She lost a lot of weight too. It came on suddenly and by the time it was accurately dx I ended up trying the meds / diet for a while but ultimately put her down because it wasn't helping.

I don't know what Kitty meant by "she's peeing a lot". That could mean lots of output, like my cat flooding the box, or it could mean average output but multiple times. Maybe it means she's trying to go but can't.

My cats who have had UTI urinary tract infections usually scratch in the box but nothing comes out, or sometimes they pee on the floor to show me that the box "hurts" to use. UTI can be very damaging for a cat. They can develop crystals and one of my cats even had a grossly enlarged spleen because of all the infection.

Call your vet Kitty. They need to check for UTI first. If you can, collect some pee at home from the corner of her box and put it in a jar to see if it looks cloudy or if it really stinks. You can collect it with a spoon or a syringe. They might be able to do a urinalysis from that, or they might want to collect her urine on site with a needle. That's what they do for urinary cultures where they send the pee out to a lab and let it grow for a few days to name the contaminant and pick the right medicine. If it's not UTI then your vet might want to screen for Diabetes which involves blood testing.

This all sounds expensive but if you are disabled you can probably find a place that offers funding by a charity. Other places might let you pay over time instead of all at once.

Keep us updated on how she's doing. A pee shouldn't be much bigger than a tennis ball after it clumps in the litter. Count how many pees she's doing because the vet will want to know.

Good luck.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 9:26 pm

^
Yes. The other thing was that ours was drinking rather a lot of water. He wasn't peeing such huge amounts as that, but it was noticeably more than usual. Cats are rather stoical animals and they can seem deceptively healthy when they're actually ill.

That's good advice about some vets being lenient about fees in some cases. There was a place where I used to live that didn't charge at all, they just ran on voluntary donations. But that was a long time ago, and was probably a rare thing.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 9:32 pm

One of my vets is affiliated with a charity. The other isn't. The charity needs people to demonstrate that they receive disability benefits either from a statement of account, or on their tax return. If your annual income is less than (I forget how much), they will approve you for a certain amount of free vet work every year.

I'm not in USA but I know they have similar programs there, as I looked into it for a friend in Oregon. The fastest thing to do would be ring the vet and ask what they recommend for a person in your situation. They might even know a travelling vet who can go to your house for the exam.