Overwhelmed by so many restricted interests

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 1:31 pm

A lot of them that I don't remember most of it, but I go to them one by one after reading. It's mostly about Forensic psychology, Broad Autism Phenotype, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Personality Disorders, Paraphilias, and the thing that is fascinating is Delusional Disorder, especially Delusional Misidentification Syndromes.

DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Feb 2024, 9:14 pm

FranzOren wrote:
A lot of them that I don't remember most of it, but I go to them one by one after reading. It's mostly about Forensic psychology, Broad Autism Phenotype, Autism Spectrum Disorder, Neurodevelopmental Disorders, Personality Disorders, Paraphilias, and the thing that is fascinating is Delusional Disorder, especially Delusional Misidentification Syndromes.

That's a serious study, but you need also to relax a bit, being that deep into mental disorders themes can make you more depressive than you are ( if you are). Listen to some music or watch something funny.

But I can relate to you. I can get so absorbed by some of my interests that I forget to do regular house cleaning, dish washing, and sometimes I can be inside my home for three days, not exiting at all. Not very healthy.

Recently my monitor went off and I decided to leave it like that instead of fixing it - ali in hope I will be less sitting and ruining my eyes and be more in present moment and real life. And it helps s bit.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2024, 10:37 pm

:oops:

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 6:56 am

Jakki wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I think that the op is using the term "restricted interest" to mean "an interest in a thing that does extend to related things'.

Like being obsessed with meerkats, but not being into small mammalian critters in general.

Got it Thank You ,, sometimes it does not always pay to be overly literal ???
Or more intuitive on yer Part ..? :roll:

Its not a queston of "literal vs figurative". Its just a question of picking up on subtle differences of meaning between outwardly similar meaning words.

What country are you from? I take it that your native language is something other than English.

Its not that you're taking a word "restricted" "literally" (like a stereotypical aspies is supposed to do) but that you're slightly off in understanding the word.

A "taboo" interest, or a "forbidden interest", would be "an interest in something that society frowns upon a person being interested in".

A "restricted interest" would be an "interest confined to a small area of expertise". With the implication that it is the person themselves doing that confining (chaining yourself to the dog chain). You were using "restricted" more like "taboo".

A restricted interest would be ...an lifelong obession with doorknobs because you think doorknobs are cool...but at the same time having no concern for...furniture or archatecture or any thing in the world adjacent to door knobs. :lol:

A taboo interest could be one of any number of other things. Interest in secrets of love making...to ..interest in making terrorist pipe bombs..that society might frown upon.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 11:43 am

Got it.. Thank you . perhaps I missed context too ?

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 3:48 pm

That makes sense. I do have many other special interests, including listening to similar songs repeatedly.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 11:54 pm

Quote : NaturalPlastic:
:D :D :D .....yup..yup... :D :D :D
Failed my ESL classes 5 x in a row..

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2024, 4:58 pm

That's funny and that quote is funny.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 7:19 am

FranzOren wrote:
That's funny and that quote is funny.

TY ....am quite sure a few might follow what ,was . written as being completely literal ...( expected). :D ..
But think some Folk . Might be able to discern ? IMHO :oops:

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 8:41 pm

:)

VictorOfAveyron
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Feb 2024, 9:13 am

DazyDaisy wrote:
How many open windows and/or tabs each of you have on your computer or phone screen? On my phone I have a smiley face instead of number of open tabs indicator, and I have like at least hundred of them: at least ten opened FB pages, several Wikipedias, Wiktionary, Pinterest, Geni.com pages, various medical themes, diy jewelry making, soft soldering techniques, earthquakes, Misirlou lyrics, how to draw zentangles, etc., etc., etc.

Very relatable. I try to deal with them all, but usually it results in more. And closing them at once... what a dreadful thought.

How do you deal with these things? Have you arrived at conclusions/takeaways?

Iris.Ell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Feb 2024, 11:13 am

DazyDaisy wrote:
How many open windows and/or tabs each of you have on your computer or phone screen? On my phone I have a smiley face instead of number of open tabs indicator, and I have like at least hundred of them: at least ten opened FB pages, several Wikipedias, Wiktionary, Pinterest, Geni.com pages, various medical themes, diy jewelry making, soft soldering techniques, earthquakes, Misirlou lyrics, how to draw zentangles, etc., etc., etc.

That sounded like me. I also love vocabularies.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 1:46 pm

My Friend has this issue , similiarly , leaves like twenty tabs open with pages of interest..uhm those pages seem to like refreshing themselves , I think .? So how is there enough RAM memory to be doing these things , that might cause your pages to load more slowly . Or even crash your puter? but had someone explain this to me .. So i book mark things sometimes and go back then delete the. bookmark .

Last edited by Jakki on 11 Feb 2024, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 2:18 pm

That's so true lol

Dylan the autist
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Feb 2024, 3:31 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I certainly feel overwhelmed a lot because of the way I work - I'm very careful and attend a great deal to detail, so everything I do takes me a remarkably long time. And I suppose I have a lot of interests, so it doesn't feel good when I realise that I'm likely to die of old age before I've completed half of the projects I want to complete. I can and do think of new things to do much faster than I can do them.

I had to more or less give up photography (developing and printing) because I couldn't resist spending hours on every frame of each film, juggling about with the brightness and contrast so that all the important details were as visible as possible, and cropping to give the most artistically desirable results. As recording music was more important to me and took up a lot of time, the photography had to go. I've still got the enlarger, developing trays and chemicals, because I never gave up hope that I might get back to it one day, but they're about 50 years old now. Of course I've digitised all my negatives, but not to professional quality, because I used an affordable negative scanner which gave mediocre results.

Apart from simple decisions like that (which are painful), I'm not good at prioritising. I find it hard to decide whether one ambition is more important than another, except in extreme cases. I'd also find it hard even to list my ambitions and interests in anything like a complete way.

With music recording, I often notice that I could get a better result if I put in an extra big chunk of time into the process, and it's hard for me to stop myself going that extra mile. I don't get many songs recorded per year because it's such a long process and because the techniques get so complicated that if I take a break for a month or two I can't remember how I did things.

I struggle with the exact same thing you mentioned as well as the OP, for me it has been reading the last year - I read so many complicated books so rapidly that it hurts my brain often to comprehend the ideas and I stick with them afterwards in my day-to-day as well as studying music in a full-time course I get so caught up in technical tasks that I do not prioritise what I feel comes naturally to prioritise to others - obligations and responsibilities around the home for example. I would love to be motivated to exercise more and clean my home and devote a little more time to college work rather than being invested in books that although relate are very difficult to get my head around. Does anyone have any tips that work for this? I've tried making schedules in the past which have worked as I am goal-oriented but I find my motivation waning lately has made any consistency difficult to sustain.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 8:10 pm

I made a coping strategies to deal with restricted interests by walking more outside, to do more exercise, try to listen to different songs, play different games.

Although those are my coping strategies, I don't actually know if it will be same for everyone with restricted interests.