Anybody working from home in tech field

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2024, 1:33 pm

What are the most on demand tech skills right now

Like web development, coding, game dev or anything like that?

I was interested in game development but its not worth the time.

What are your thoughts

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 1:40 pm

Programming: Python and Java, both for their overall versatility.

Other skills: data science, machine learning, AI

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2024, 5:21 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Programming: Python and Java, both for their overall versatility.

Other skills: data science, machine learning, AI

How can I make money with that skills

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 10:49 pm

Outsource work? It can indeed generate a little money.

Stormyweathers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2024, 11:41 am

Highly_Autistic wrote:

What are your thoughts

Yes, I work from home. I'm a lead design architect for the biggest Fortune 500 company you've probably never heard of.

Mobile application developer
Artificial Intelligence models
Advanced skills in M365, multiple workflows (email, SharePoint, Teams, Azure, Fabric, jack-of-all-Microsoft-trades)
Advanced skills in multi-cloud integration (like getting M365 to play with AWS and Google)
Cyber security skills <- Please dear lord with common-sense.
Agile Methodologies
Data scientist
Automation expert

Not game development. Really. Sorry, but no. Game development is the IT version of "I wanna be a movie star".

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 2:34 pm

My friend's dev team are all local but they all work from home. They do web dev, database stuff, file server stuff, GUI stuff, ticket system/chat system stuff. 3 + a 4th who's a lead who only works very part time.

It's a part of why I don't work there anymore. The main programmer came back to work in the office part time and my friend wanted the others to come back at Least one day a week. I crafted an email and pitched it, letting them know how any problems were solved having the main guy back part time. SO MANY opportunities arise in person for Q & A that lead to solutions getting developed. But the lead said "We have a WFH agreement." basically saying "Nah, we're never coming in." We tried, my friend didn't want to put anymore pressure on them because he cannot afford to lose them. It was frustrating that people who are decently well paid refuse to collaborate with coworkers in person and even though they're local we had to communicate via email only as if they were overseas contractors even though they all live within a 25 min drive away max. Blah blah blah, the lead emailed and said "$90k a year isn't enough to expect someone to leave their bedroom." (He gets paid $550k/year from his day job working remote doing software dev for some American health insurance website and is one of the lower paid people there.) Then he never spoke to me again - had already decided he was done with me.

Part of their extreme negotiating power is that they're the caliber of talent that could go to work for google/fb etc and work remote for them for more money. So, my friend's business has Zero ability to tell them to work in the office ever. Kind of lame that employees do that to their employer and refuse to do in person collaboration which would be better for the business. But it is what it is if you're a web developer with serious skills. You can work from home and never ever go to an office for anything and anyone who suggests otherwise is collateral damage.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 2:44 pm

Son works in security and mostly works from home, almost all his crew do the same, he has built his skills by finding out what program knowledge is in demand and what skills are needed, and keeps building, since new tech is always coming on. Your work is valuable as a tech answering questions and helping non tech savvy people with every day problems, in trouble shooting, in security, in development of new programs, pick the field that appeals most to you, show a good work ethic, maybe hire on somewhere that will build your skills and be constantly reliable and show some hustle. There are so many companies out there looking for good reliable help who are willing to do the work and help customers/clients (in house or out) to get the job done with minimum problems, complaints, or "ifs, ands, and yeah-buts". A positive 'go to it' attitude is financially appreciated. Son is making 6 figures, but he works hard, worked very hard to get there. Find a company you would like to work for, talk to HR and find out what you have to know and do to get hired, express interest, then educate yourself to meet their needs. :)

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2024, 3:46 pm

Stormyweathers wrote:
Highly_Autistic wrote:

What are your thoughts

Yes, I work from home. I'm a lead design architect for the biggest Fortune 500 company you've probably never heard of.

Advanced skills in M365, multiple workflows (email, SharePoint, Teams, Azure, Fabric, jack-of-all-Microsoft-trades)
Advanced skills in multi-cloud integration (like getting M365 to play with AWS and Google)
Agile Methodologies
Data scientist
Automation expert

Not game development. Really. Sorry, but no. Game development is the IT version of "I wanna be a movie star".

How can i get a foot in the door in one of these areas
For example Mobile app development

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 6:19 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:
Stormyweathers wrote:
Highly_Autistic wrote:

What are your thoughts

Agile Methodologies
Data scientist
Automation expert

How can i get a foot in the door in one of these areas
For example Mobile app development

There are contract work sites out there you can put a profile on and wait for contract proposals Or view proposed projects and submit a proposal and price to a client to build something if you’re capable. I think one of them is called “upwork,” or something like that - but there are several sites dedicated to connecting programmers to work like that.

There’s also Facebook/social media. You could start a page offering your services. You could join groups that are for that and make posts offering. There are always people on Facebook asking if someone knows how to make an app they have an idea for. Some of them might be able to afford to have them made.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 8:56 pm

Some tech jobs you can get by talent and being the lowest bidder. Another way to go is get a degree and use the school to help you network. There are three ways to gain skills: by working and learning as you do: you give time and get dollars and experience. Volunteering: you give time and gain experience but no dollars. Go to school: you give time and dollars, you get experience. In all three you can get contacts. That is important too.

I went to school. Mom and dad paid. I have been working ever since with short gaps. Now I am the dad and I am paying for my kids to go to school. I do database, coding, work from home but only because since covid-19 all tech jobs seem to be remote.

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2024, 9:59 am

I'm a tech geek. Core skills are C/C++, Java, Python and Android. All those are very much in demand. Like others have said, a bit of SaaS (I have AWS) and cybersecurity knowledge also helps.

Best advice in my experience: work on back-ends, not front - i.e. operating systems and engines, not apps or UIs. The money is better and the skills are more transferable.

How to get in: if you code for fun, and particularly if you like creating experimental or innovative solutions to problems, put a project or two on Github so that you can point to them as example of your skills and knowledge. A smart employer will like that.

And yes, don't touch gaming. In my experience it's an extremely toxic and abusive culture.

There is a God.