Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

06 Feb 2024, 7:55 pm

Who has a favorite plane? Which planes do y'all like?

My favorite is series of commercial aircraft called the MD-80 from DC-9 series. I don't know exactly why I like it more than other commercial aircraft since it is old and not efficient. I am just obsessed with the look and want to know whatever I can about it.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 8:04 pm

I've always liked the F4 (which was a US military plane) I've always thought the F4 was the aircraft version of a muscle car.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 8:14 pm

The A10's look nice.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 8:16 pm

Northrop-Dornier N/D-102 (aka Northrop P-700).

This is a further evolution of the F-5/F-17 lineage offered for the German TKF-90 requirement. TKF-90 was eventually fulfilled by the EuroFighter Typhoon.

I'm kinda partial to this entire lineage though, the P-610 (single engine Cobra) is another one I'm quite fond of.

Even the original F-5A is pretty good looking.

I like the Northrop A-9 as well, it was the competitor against the A-10 but Fairchild needed the money more than Northrop, so Fairchild got the contract.

I'm also pretty fond of the Flanker and Fulcrum families.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 11:32 pm

https://youtu.be/sqODlt-H2zo?si=MndAoj_V2OcChFEe

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2024, 11:59 pm

Aspinator wrote:
I've always liked the F4 (which was a US military plane) I've always thought the F4 was the aircraft version of a muscle car.

The main warplane of the Vietnam war. The f-4 "phantom". Had a payload of like eight tons of bombs, but also served as a fighter. The Israeli airforce discovered all kinds crazy manuevers you could do with it that our airforce didnt even know about ...and passed the into on to us.

It served in the two Gulf Wars of the two Bushes. In those later decades "the Phantom" moniker faded in favor of "the Wild Weasel".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2024, 12:18 am

naturalplastic wrote:
It served in the two Gulf Wars of the two Bushes. In those later decades "the Phantom" moniker faded in favor of "the Wild Weasel".

For what it's worth Wild Weasel is a mission, not a specific aircraft. Any aircraft in USAF service assigned to a SEAD (Suppression of Enemy Air Defence) mission is technically a Wild Weasel.

F-16s with HARMs are the current Wild Weasel platform, the F-100F was the original platform. The F-4C took over but failed, causing the F-105F to be adopted. The -105Fs were upgraded to -105G standard but due to attrition had to be replaced with improved F-4Cs.

The -4Cs were replaced by the F-4G (aka Wild Weasel V or Advanced Wild Weasel).

The F-16CJ and DJ models replaced the F-4Gs. The F-35 is now replacing the F-16 in the SEAD role.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2024, 11:16 am

Okay. Thats why they called it that in that book I browsed years ago. Lol!

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2024, 12:08 am

Aspinator wrote:

F-4 Phantom?! Yes! It's a McDonnell Douglas plane which, from what I remember, is a super tough plane that definitely also looks tough. The air intakes are so cool even if my husband thinks they are clunky.

I don't know much at all about military aircraft but I agree that this one is very cool

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2024, 12:09 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
The A10's look nice.

They look nice and sound awesome. BRRRT BRRRT

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2024, 12:12 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Northrop-Dornier N/D-102 (aka Northrop P-700).

This is a further evolution of the F-5/F-17 lineage offered for the German TKF-90 requirement. TKF-90 was eventually fulfilled by the EuroFighter Typhoon.

I'm kinda partial to this entire lineage though, the P-610 (single engine Cobra) is another one I'm quite fond of.

Even the original F-5A is pretty good looking.

I like the Northrop A-9 as well, it was the competitor against the A-10 but Fairchild needed the money more than Northrop, so Fairchild got the contract.

I'm also pretty fond of the Flanker and Fulcrum families.

I am not familiar with this line so I looked all of them up. And oh, boy. Those are beautiful machines.
I know I'm obsessed with commercial aircraft but I cannot deny that these military aircraft are amazing.

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2024, 12:13 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

This was unexpected but I liked it very much, thank you. :lol:

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2024, 12:15 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Aspinator wrote:

The main warplane of the Vietnam war. The f-4 "phantom". Had a payload of like eight tons of bombs, but also served as a fighter. The Israeli airforce discovered all kinds crazy manuevers you could do with it that our airforce didnt even know about ...and passed the into on to us.

I had already commented that I thought the F-4 Phantom looked like a beast but this confirmation of just how much of a beast it is kinda terrified me. This is insane. :o

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 4:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Okay. Thats why they called it that in that book I browsed years ago. Lol!

As you might guess, the name Wild Weasel caught my attention as a kid. :lol:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 5:04 pm

I have a love quirky odd-ball planes.

This one is about quirky as it gets.

The Soviety Tu-95 (dubbed by NATO as "the Bear Bomber").

Has swept back wings like a jet, but has propellers. But its not a piston prop (like a B29) but is a turbo prop.

It came out about the same time as a America's B52 its has served as a kind of poor man's B52 for the same length of time as our B52. Both planes proved versatile and long lived.

It has two sets of props on each engine that counter-rotate and can haul its ass up to about 545 mph (only a tad slower than a 747, or a B 52).

The fastest prop plane on the planet it also LOUD. American sub crews can hear them while submerged. But its loud for a particular odd reason. That being that the tips of it propellers break the sound barrier (even though the plane doesnt quite hit mach one).

Though its 12-15 ton payload is only about half that of the B52 its still a big plane even by today's standards.

Though its vital for naval recon, and awacs, and for "showing the flag" to intimidate Russia's neighbors it hasnt actually been used in war as often as the B52 (which dropped millions of tons of bombs on Indochina).

AFAIK in was not used in war until a few years ago when they used it to launch cruise missiles in Syria.

https://youtu.be/i8d83956Si4

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 5:23 pm

Here's a quirky one for you NP:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_ ... derscreech

Quote:
Unlike standard propellers that turn at subsonic speeds, the outer 24–30 inches (61–76 cm) of the blades on the XF-84H's propeller traveled faster than the speed of sound even at idle thrust, producing a continuous visible sonic boom that radiated laterally from the propellers for hundreds of yards. The shock wave was actually powerful enough to knock a man down; an unfortunate crew chief who was inside a nearby C-47 was severely incapacitated during a 30-minute ground run. Coupled with the already considerable noise from the subsonic aspect of the propeller and the T40's dual turbine sections, the aircraft was notorious for inducing severe nausea and headaches among ground crews. In one report, a Republic engineer suffered a seizure after close range exposure to the shock waves emanating from a powered-up XF-84H.

Quote:
Lin Hendrix, one of the Republic test pilots assigned to the program, flew the aircraft once and refused to ever fly it again, claiming "it never flew over 450 knots (830 km/h) indicated, since at that speed, it developed an unhappy practice of 'snaking', apparently losing longitudinal stability". Hendrix also told the formidable Republic project engineer, "You aren't big enough and there aren't enough of you to get me in that thing again".

Also, there used to be an airliner derived from the Bear:

Quote:
The Tu-114 used the basic wing, empennage, landing gear, and powerplants of the Tu-95 bomber, mated to a totally new pressurized fuselage of much larger diameter. To cope with the increased weight, increased landing flap surface area was required, and the flap chord was increased compared to the bomber's flaps. The wing was mounted low on the fuselage, giving the Tu-114 a much higher stance on its landing gear than the bomber. As a result, a new nose landing gear strut was required, although the main landing gear remained unchanged.

Strictly speaking there isn't an AWACS/AEW&C version of the Bear, the Tu-126 is based on the Tu-114 airliner.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 08 Feb 2024, 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.