Florida teacher, aide accused of tying student to chair

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 8:56 am

Florida teacher and aide accused of tying non-verbal student with autism to chair

Quote:
A Florida teacher and her aide are facing charges after police said they tied a non-verbal 7-year-old student with autism to a chair for an hour.

According to Bradenton Police, Exceptional Student Education teacher Carina Chindamo, 31, and aide Taylor Internicola, 39, were caught on security camera video tying tying the the boy's wrists with a nylon walking rope, a device used to teach students to walk in line.

The rope was then wrapped around the leg of a chair as the boy sat on the ground nearby restrained for about an hour, police said.

In the video, Chindamo and Internicola were seensitting on the chair, appearing to use their weight to keep the child from getting free, police said.

The school's principal notified the child's mother about what happened.

Police said Chindamo was taken into custody on Tuesday, while investigators are still looking for Internicola.

Both are expected to face false imprisonment charges, police said.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

elotepreparado
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2024, 11:57 am

That is so scary. I have been held in a sitting position before by teachers and teacher aids with their arms and hands but with objects seems even scarier? And for an hour?!

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 10:45 am

In 3rd grade, at age 10, I was tied to a chair with duct tape over my mouth. I would have hoped that this sort of thing existed only in the past.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 10:03 pm

What is wrong with teachers these days?

catto_catto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2024, 1:53 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
What is wrong with teachers these days?

This is what happens when you underfund public education, jail people for putting the wrong book in the school library, and drive away any empathy and sane person from the education system.