OK bill would charge abortion recipients with murder

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 9:24 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/oklahoma-senator-files-bill-to-charge-women-getting-an-abortion/ar-BB1hW0ea?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=f5b18ef4a0714377f29faf0925de4743&ei=22

Time for Antifa and the Satanic Temple to storm the Oklahoma State Capitol.

This is also why the West Coast and Northeast are so expensive, because of people trying to escape the red states and these laws, and another reason as to why religion should be banned in the U.S.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 9:35 am

This reminds me of the Gadson flag (don't tread on me). It should be updated so it reads "so I can tread on you"

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 9:44 am

A woman is defenseless because the law would likely be enforced very strictly. She would spend more time in prison that the person who raped her.

Unlike Texas, Oklahoma is a solid red state. A Democrat could maybe get 30% of the vote, and only if he/she is a Joe Manchin-type. An AOC-type couldn't get elected dog catcher in OK.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 10:38 am

Aspinator wrote:
This reminds me of the Gadson flag (don't tread on me). It should be updated so it reads "so I can tread on you"

Gov. Stitt and every GOP in the OK legislature needs to be treaded on---repeatedly.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 10:55 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/oklahoma-senator-files-bill-to-charge-women-getting-an-abortion/ar-BB1hW0ea?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=f5b18ef4a0714377f29faf0925de4743&ei=22

This is also why the West Coast and Northeast are so expensive, because of people trying to escape the red states and these laws, and another reason as to why religion should be banned in the U.S.

When abortion was legal everywhere those areas were still more expensive. People want to move to these regions there are more higher paying and prestigious jobs there, and they are more “cultured” there. The Dobbs decision might widen the gap.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 2:57 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

When abortion was legal everywhere those areas were still more expensive. People want to move to these regions there are more higher paying and prestigious jobs there, and they are more “cultured” there. The Dobbs decision might widen the gap.

There's no culture in Houston. Not because of local problems, but Abbott and Co. put the kibosh on anything even remotely amusing.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 3:10 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

Seems like a good way to get a bunch of people needlessly killed. They won't be handled with kid gloves like MAGA types are.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 6:40 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Seems like a good way to get a bunch of people needlessly killed. They won't be handled with kid gloves like MAGA types are.

The alternative is to keep the law on the books and watch countless women face life in prison, or possibly the death penalty, for seeking medical care designed to save their lives.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 6:42 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

The alternative is to keep the law on the books and watch countless women face life in prison, or possibly the death penalty, for seeking medical care designed to save their lives.

Not really, because storming the capitol won't change the law.

Changing the law is what needs to be done. Random acts of violence aren't going to contribute to changing the law, at best they'll make people who support changing the law look like goons.

Think of it this way, did violence from anti-choicers lead to the current legal reality, or was it their efforts that didn't involve breaking the law that led to the current legal reality?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 7:04 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Changing the law is what needs to be done. Random acts of violence aren't going to contribute to changing the law, at best they'll make people who support changing the law look like goons.

Think of it this way, did violence from anti-choicers lead to the current legal reality, or was it their efforts that didn't involve breaking the law that led to the current legal reality?

GOPers win by well over 60% of the vote. A Democrat stands no chance.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 8:12 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

GOPers win by well over 60% of the vote. A Democrat stands no chance.

That doesn't make violence a viable method of securing your goal though.

When the insurrection you propose is violently ended, do you think the abortion laws will be altered?

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 9:21 am

What else can be done?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 9:32 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
What else can be done?

Well, considering that overthrowing the state government can't be done it's hard to justify bringing it up at all.

The US needs to pass a federal law ensuring access to abortion across all 50 states, but further people in states like Oklahoma need to work to have bans overturned.

It might not be easy to work within the existing legal framework, but it'll work a lot better than attempting to overthrow a state government. Even if you succeeded at overthrowing the state government the rebel government would be too busy defending itself from the feds to make any legal changes, but also those legal changes would be reversed after the feds crush the rebellion.

wE nEeD tO oVeRtHrOw t3h gUbMiNt is the sort of inane clownfuckery that right-wing nutjobs trot out regularly, but it sounds just as uninformed coming from lefties.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2024, 10:02 pm

I am one of those fleeing for the Northeast. Oklahoma is, unfortunately, my home state.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 10:03 pm

Harmonie wrote:
I am one of those fleeing for the Northeast. Oklahoma is, unfortunately, my home state.

Mine is Texas, and the cost of living in most of the blue states is keeping me from relocating.

The Oklahoma law is especially horrible because it punishes the person getting the abortion, rather than the person performing it.

And factor in the GOP's "law and order" stance and the fact that law enforcement in red states is practically domestic terrorism and it's the nightmare every woman living in those states is about to realize.

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 09 Feb 2024, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 10:23 pm

I want to move to Oklahoma, now and I'm being serious.