09 Feb 2024, 10:26 pm

Will it stick?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 10:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Will it stick?

Before Roe's overturn, it wouldn't have stuck. But now it will be enforced, and likely enforced very strictly, because, you know, law and order.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 10:44 pm

Prolife, but never have been in favor of criminalizing abortion. I'd prefer to work to make it virtually unnecessary, and outlawing it has proven ineffective at reducing rates.

Don't expect to hear from me if you talk at me, I'm not coming back to this thread. Trying to have this conversation tends to lead to me having terrible meltdowns because people get so angry about it and I can't deal.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2024, 10:47 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Will it stick?

Before Roe's overturn, it wouldn't have stuck. But now it will be enforced, and likely enforced very strictly, because, you know, law and order.

Oh yeah, Roe Vs Wade...and it's not as if the US prison system isn't already overflowing to add innocent young women along with random black people, casual dtug users and jaywalkers

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2024, 11:17 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Mine is Texas, and the cost of living in most of the blue states is keeping me from relocating.

I understand. But it does not feel like a choice of mine anymore. It is a matter of my basic safety and well-being now. I've been wanting to move to the Northeast since my teens, but now it is happening out of necessity.

I do not see being anything but low class for the rest of my life after this move, but it is what it is. What you realize (and many people I know who have moved from OK to blue states have stated) is that you get what you pay for. A state like Oklahoma is cheap to live in for a reason.

Thankfully for me, I have my parents who are going to help me with this move and are planning to sell the house to move up with me. They hate Oklahoma and its nonsense just as much as I do.

Quote:
The Oklahoma law is especially horrible because it punishes the person getting the abortion, rather than the person performing it.

And factor in the GOP's "law and order" stance and the fact that law enforcement in red states is practically domestic terrorism and it's the nightmare every woman living in those states is about to realize.

It's straight-up cruelty. The big government has no place in our uterus. I'm so furious watching this nonsense. The law says there are "exceptions", but who decides whether those exceptions count? The government. :roll: Gov BullStitt said in his recent address to the state "get the government out of the way" and yet he's using big government on us women and LGBT people. It's a bad joke, and I ain't laughing. :-x

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2024, 11:14 pm

amuuurica is circling the drain as a united entity.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2024, 11:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Sure people felt that way in the 1930s during the great depression. Great britain during the industrial revolution and Australia's early federation from Great Britian the people also felt the world was turning upside down. On the brightside when AI breaks free from human control then this experiment will come to an end.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 1:16 am

^^^you mean they won't just enslave us?

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2024, 10:44 am

auntblabby wrote:

It does not feel united at all. The difference between Oklahoma and Connecticut (where I'm moving to) is stark. It's almost as if moving from one country to another.

I feel like a refugee from Oklahoma. Perhaps it's not that bad at this point, but it is scary.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 7:26 am

I have been trying to relocate to either NYC, San Francisco, or Seattle for nearly 10 years (unrelated to the abortion issue), but one has to make $200,000/year to afford Seattle and $300,000 to afford the other two.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 8:06 am

these types are obsessed with controlling women's bodies. it was never about saving childrens' lives, because their flimsy justifications can always be disproven. It's about power.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 11:27 am

Readydaer wrote:
these types are obsessed with controlling women's bodies. it was never about saving childrens' lives, because their flimsy justifications can always be disproven. It's about power.

The right's mantra is: If it was bad in the 1950s, it is/should be bad now.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 5:53 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I want to move to Oklahoma, now and I'm being serious.

Until they decide to come after trans people.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2024, 6:46 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have been trying to relocate to either NYC, San Francisco, or Seattle for nearly 10 years (unrelated to the abortion issue), but one has to make $200,000/year to afford Seattle and $300,000 to afford the other two.

Those are super pricey areas. If you want to locate somewhere near NYC perhaps try CT or "upstate" NY. It's all going to be quite pricey, but nothing like living in NYC itself.

I'm moving to a suburb of Hartford, CT.

funeralxempire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

They 100% already are. There's like a dozen plus anti-trans bills proposed this session.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 7:10 pm

Harmonie wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

They 100% already are. There's like a dozen plus anti-trans bills proposed this session.

Disappointing but not at all shocking. It always bears repeating that just because someone is aligned with a political bloc on a single issue, doesn't mean those people are actually allies.

Conservatives are pretty open about their hatred for the disabled and for trans people. I'm curious what leads to disabled and/or trans people supporting political blocs who openly hate them because they're aligned on a single issue.

It's like sheep voting for the wolves instead of the shepherds because harvesting wool is bad mmmkay. Well, you might have an issue with wool, but do you know what the wolves have planned?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2024, 7:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Harmonie wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Disappointing but not at all shocking. It always bears repeating that just because someone is aligned with a political bloc on a single issue, doesn't mean those people are actually allies.

Conservatives are pretty open about their hatred for the disabled and for trans people. I'm curious what leads to disabled and/or trans people supporting political blocs who openly hate them because they're aligned on a single issue.

It's like sheep voting for the wolves instead of the shepherds because harvesting wool is bad mmmkay. Well, you might have an issue with wool, but do you know what the wolves have planned?

Yes, it's completely baffling to me. The Republican party is explicitly anti-trans. A speaker at CPAC (a mainstream right wing conference in the US) even called for "the eradication of transgender people from public life". Even with the "from public life" that doesn't make it sound much better. We all know what he really meant and it's horrifying.

No matter what one thinks of the rest of the right's policies that is evil and makes supporting the party completely untenable all of itself. I'm not a single-issue voter by any means, but the Republican party is completely off the rails on trans issues and many others in such a way that it is extremely dangerous to those people. It is critical that the Republican party faces staggering defeats until they moderate because... lets just say that getting to the point of using terms like "eradication" for a group of people has never ended well when the party calling for that gets into power. :pale: