I don't believe in "age appropriate" interests

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

redallen32
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Apr 2024, 12:34 pm

I don't think it should matter what you like, no matter what your age is. I know that as someone in their mid-30s, I still like things that are targeted towards kids, but that doesn't mean that adults can't enjoy them either. Something I've seen and heard of a lot lately is adults who have kids who are getting super invested in the television show, Bluey. I don't think it's inappropriate for people to take joy in whatever makes them smile, especially with how dark and cynical this world is becoming. If it's something that makes you happy, then you should enjoy it. I'm sorry if people aren't letting you enjoy these things.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 1:25 pm

I'm a "Disney adult", which is a million times more cringy than being a Looney Tunes adult. I walk around in public shamelessly wearing t-shirts with Mickey or Minnie Mouse while carrying a Minnie shopping bag. I like many other cartoons from The Golden age of animation as well. I have plushies and figures of many characters, including Steamboat Willie and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. I'm also a big fan of Animal Crossing. I also have a thing for The Muppet Show, classic Sesame Street, and classic Simpsons. And I'm 50.

The only way to really enjoy being an adult is to be childish once in a while.

angelsonthemoon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2024, 12:58 pm

A lot of modern stuff aimed at adults deals with subjects like work stress, relationship difficulties, trauma, and so on. Obviously, that's not the most relaxing. Even many non autistics are favoring older media or media aimed at younger audience because they enjoy it more.

"According to January 2023 WordsRated statistics, 51% of YA books are purchased by people between the ages of 30 and 44, and 78% of those buyers said that they intended to read the books themselves."