An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 1:04 pm

Apples go very deeply back into time.

Apples are not native to North America. They originated in Kazakhstan, in central Asia east of the Caspian Sea.

Approximately 750,000 years ago: early Paleolithic food gatherers in (modern) Kazakhstan, central Asia, discovered sour crab apples growing wild in the forest.

Approximately 8,000 years ago: Neolithic farmers in (modern) Asia cultivated wild apples.

Around 1300 BC: Egyptians began planting orchards along the Nile Delta.

Around 800 BC: Ancient Greeks learned grafting techniques.

Around 200 BC: Ancient Romans planted apple orchards in Britain.

1500s-1600s: Spaniards brought apples to Mexico and South America.

Source: Origins of Apples

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2024, 9:52 am

In the beginning of this thread I said there is an old saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away". It is a common English-language proverb that appeared in the 19th century".

But in my personal opinion, this saying is a little bit off. Bananas seem to fit the saying better. One website describes the advantages of eating bananas.

-- Bananas contain a fair amount of carbs, water, fiber, and antioxidants but little protein and no fat.
-- Bananas are rich in soluble fiber. During digestion, soluble fiber dissolves in liquid to form a gel.
-- Dietary fiber has been linked to many health benefits including improved digestion.
-- Bananas are weight loss friendly. Bananas have relatively few calories — just over 100 calories in an average banana — but are nutritious and filling.
-- Bananas are a great source of potassium, with a medium banana providing 10% of the daily value. Potassium is a mineral that’s vital for heart health and especially for blood pressure management. However, few people get enough potassium in their diet. Additionally, bananas contain 8 % of the daily value for magnesium, another important mineral for heart health.
-- Bananas contain several types of potent antioxidants including flavonoids and amines. These antioxidants are linked to many health benefits, such as a reduced risk of heart disease and macular degeneration.
-- The soluble fiber in bananas help keep you full by adding bulk to your digestive system and slowing digestion.
-- Insulin resistance is a significant risk factor in several chronic diseases, including type 2 diabetes. Regularly eating resistant starch may improve insulin sensitivity making your body more responsive to the blood sugar-regulating hormone insulin.
-- Potassium is vital for healthy kidney function and blood pressure regulation. As a great dietary source of potassium, bananas keeps your kidneys healthy.
-- Bananas are sometimes referred to as the perfect food for athletes. This is largely due to their content of easily digested carbs along with potassium and magnesium, which act as electrolytes.

Source: 11 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Bananas

So when I was young (over 50 years ago) and went off on one of my adventures around the world, I discovered the benefits of eating a banana a day. It kept me alive.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2024, 1:09 pm

I think sometimes people become confused about what they are? They think they are an apple when in fact they are a banana.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2024, 2:28 pm

Now I understand why "a banana a day keeps the doctor away".

The reason why is because Bananas contain a high degree of Vitamin A.

Why is Vitamin A important? Well in ages past many young children died before they became adults. Bananas are high in Vitamin A. It also contains a provitamin called carotenoid that supercharges the effect of taking Vitamin A. According to one website:

Some (bananas) can also meet the estimated vitamin A requirements for young children. One banana, Karat, was also analyzed separately for the provitamin A carotene.

This provides protection from Measles and more importantly a deadly killer Pneumonia. These plagues are deadly killers to many children.

So in many third world countries, hundreds of thousands of children die each year from this combination measles/pneumonia. So eating bananas is strong energizer for young children who have not been vaccinated for these deadly plagues of the past.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2024, 4:04 pm

Everything you did or did not want to know about bananas.