Trump would let Russia attack allies who don't pay enough

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 12:15 pm

Aspinator wrote:
The best analogy I've heard about Trump and his cronies is comparing them to a sickness that has infected american politics. He and his supporter's views don't represent the views of the majority of americans. Americans need to exorcise this sickness and not be bullied by a minority who threatens violence if they don't get their way.

It is only partially about fear of violence. It is about Republican politicians very legitimate fears of losing their careers if they go against Trump. Because of the that with a very few exceptions a vote for a Republican running for national office is a vote for a coward who will enable authoritarianism.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Feb 2024, 12:43 pm

Reagan must be restless in his grave.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 10:27 am

Let me try and provide some analysis. America is broken. We have let in over 10 million illegal aliens into this country from all the corners of the world. They have brought in massive crime into the U.S. What Trump is saying in my humble opinion is that we must first fix our own internal problems before we try and tackle the other problems exploding around the world.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Feb 2024, 10:48 am

In which part of US history it wasn't full of immigrants and internal problems?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 2:56 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Let me try and provide some analysis. America is broken. We have let in over 10 million illegal aliens into this country from all the corners of the world. They have brought in massive crime into the U.S. What Trump is saying in my humble opinion is that we must first fix our own internal problems before we try and tackle the other problems exploding around the world.

Except he's not trying to solve any problems except for trying to keep himself out of jail.

He was president for 4 years and in that time he exploded the national debt by $7.8 Trillion and didn't solve any major problems. He just gave handouts to the already wealthy via tax cuts for multimillionaires and billionaires.

If he did more of the same (which he would - an ~80 year old narcissist isn't about to make major shifts in thinking or behaviour) all the USA would have to show for a second trump term is crushing debt and further embarrassment on the world stage while he abuses his position to try to avoid consequences for his alleged crimes.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 3:27 pm

jimmy m wrote:

You make it sound like every one of those illegals are desperate criminals. They are not. The great majority just want to realize the American dream.
While we have plenty of internal problems, it's hardly the case that we can't chew gum and walk at the same time. We have obligations to allies around the world, and yes those same allies had been there for us in the past; recall how NATO got behind us following 9/11. What kind of ally would we be if we took the help of friends, but didn't reciprocate? Besides, NATO's interests are ultimately our interests, which is the continuation of free government and pluralistic civilization; a thing Putin hardly believes in.
Then there's Trump's true motivation in letting Putin invade our allies. Already mentioned is how Trump wants to stay out of prison. More, he is beholden to Putin, who knows how to manipulate Trump by appealing to his ego and vanity, and who had very likely - according to the Mueller report - aided Trump in gaining the White House. Then there's Trump's fixation on autocrats around the globe, whose ranks he'd like to join.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Feb 2024, 3:52 pm

Polish (37.7 million nation) experience with the sudden appearance of 18 million Ukrainians crossing the border, among whom around 1-2 million remained:
The people did what they could to help.
The state made procedures as easy as possible to make it legal.
Local governments offered free language courses.
School and healthcare systems accepted the newcomers, trying to distribute students possibly evenly among classes.
Social support was minimal but the job market completely opened and business running rules were given just like for locals.

The effect?
The highest refugee employment rate in EU. The newcomers pay taxes for themselves. No significant social disturbance, crime remaining low. Of course there are problems (i.e. schools were already in bad shape and got additional burden) but we just experienced a dramatic population shift without any kind of catastrophe.

I know some things may be culture-dependent but - would recommend. We can't stop migration but we can channel it to safe ways.

Stormyweathers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2024, 9:10 am

People wonder why Trump is so popular.

Here's why.

More than half of the human race are functionally controlled by confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance regarding any topic that provokes an emotional response. Tell them what they want to hear, and they cheer for you. Insist on telling them something they do not want to hear, and they want to attack you.

Trump's tactic is simple and has been used many times throughout history. He found a large segment of the population which responds in this manner and shares a common culture. In this case, it's about sixty-five percent of the Republican party in the US.

He chooses topics that make them emotional: immigration, religion, abortion, police, their ancestors and founding fathers, being told to be nice when they don't want to, etc. You could go on for days. Whatever gets a rise out of them is what he talks about.

From there, he tells them what they want to hear, and he publicly attacks people who insist on telling them what they don't. Once he's done that, he can get in charge and do whatever he pleases, so long as he keeps pleasing the mob.

Why is there a pretty decent chance he will get a second term as President? Because Biden doesn't know how to please the mob. He never did. He's President Meh.

Why NATO? Because Europe is full of pinko-commie libruls who want to repeat Mao's social revolution. /sigh

For what it's worth, I wish I were wrong.

Stormyweathers
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2024, 9:17 am

jimmy m wrote:

The internal combustion engine has seen to it that we no longer have the luxury of isolationism.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 11:28 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
You make it sound like every one of those illegals are desperate criminals.

The United States originated from immigrants. But at the moment there is a vast flood of immigrants coming to the United States controlled by the drug cartels. In the last 3 years almost 10 million illegal immigrants. Some are good people, but some are known criminals, cast out from their own countries. The U.S. has a right to block illegal immigration. Every country in the world controls its borders. It should not be a free-for-all.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 4:34 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
You make it sound like every one of those illegals are desperate criminals.

The United States originated from immigrants. But at the moment there is a vast flood of immigrants coming to the United States controlled by the drug cartels. In the last 3 years almost 10 million illegal immigrants. Some are good people, but some are known criminals, cast out from their own countries. The U.S. has a right to block illegal immigration. Every country in the world controls its borders. It should not be a free-for-all.

Sure, there is involvement by drug cartels, but the majority of drugs coming into America are brought in by Americans.
Sure, every country has the right to police their borders, but desperation is going to drive people here.
The majority of immigrants - legal or otherwise - aren't sent by criminal elements, but by an aspiration to be Americans. It says something about our country that so many people see this as the best place to be.