Trump would let Russia attack allies who don't pay enough

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 3:36 am

Donald Trump says he would encourage Russia to attack Nato allies who pay too little

Quote:
Seeking a second presidency as the Republicans’ presumptive 2024 White House nominee, Donald Trump has said he would “encourage” Russia to attack any of the US’s Nato allies whom he considers to have not met their financial obligations.

The White House described the remarks as “appalling and unhinged”. Trump made the statement on Saturday during a campaign rally in Conway, South Carolina, ahead of the state’s Republican presidential preference primary on 24 February.

The former president has voiced misgivings about aid to Ukraine as it defends itself from the invasion launched by Russia in February 2022 – as well as to the existence of Nato, the 31-nation alliance which the US has committed to defending when necessary.

On Saturday, Trump claimed that during an unspecified Nato meeting he told a fellow head of state that the US under his leadership would not defend any countries who were “delinquent”.

“One of the presidents of a big country stood up and said, ‘Well, sir, if we don’t pay, and we’re attacked by Russia, will you protect us?’” Trump said, adding “I said, ‘You didn’t pay, you’re delinquent?’”

“No, I would not protect you. In fact, I would encourage them to do whatever the hell they want. You got to pay. You got to pay your bills.”

Trump’s remarks on Saturday quickly raised alarm among many political pundits in the US.

“Sounds as if Trump is kind of encouraging Russia to attack our Nato allies,” David Corn – an MSNBC analyst and the Washington DC bureau chief of Mother Jones – said on X.

Meanwhile, conservative political commentator Alyssa Farah Griffin said Trump’s comments were “music” to the ears of Russian leader Vladimir Putin

On Saturday, the former president also celebrated the recent collapse of congressional legislation aiming to address the migration crisis on the US-Mexico border. The legislation was supported by Democratic incumbent Joe Biden, and Trump vowed that – if elected again – he would carry out “a massive deporation operation” on his first day back in the Oval Office.

Trump has been performing strongly in public opinion polls against Biden, who defeated the ex-president in the 2020 election. Nonetheless, he is grappling with more than 90 criminal charges.

Trump told European leaders that US ‘will never come to help you'
Quote:
Donald Trump told the president of the European Commission in 2020 that the US would “never come help” if Europe was attacked and also said “Nato is dead”, a senior European commissioner said.

Multiple news outlets said the exchange between Trump and Ursula von der Leyen at the World Economic Forum in Davos in 2020 was described in Brussels on Tuesday by Thierry Breton, a French European commissioner responsible for the internal market, with responsibilities including defence.

“You need to understand that if Europe is under attack we will never come to help you and to support you,” Trump said, according to Breton, who was speaking at the European parliament.

According to Breton, Trump also said: “By the way, Nato is dead, and we will leave, we will quit Nato.”

According to the Jerusalem Post, Trump added: “And by the way, you owe me $400bn, because you didn’t pay, you Germans, what you had to pay for defence.”

As Germany’s defence minister, von der Leyen was among European officials who pushed back at Trump on the issue of funding.

But threats to quit Nato, and demands that European nations increase contributions to it, were as much a feature of Trump’s presidency as concern over his opaque, apparently submissive relationship with Vladimir Putin.

Trump claims to understand the Russian president, who he says waited until Trump was out of office before invading Ukraine.

In Brussels, Breton reportedly said Trump’s 2020 remarks were “a big wake-up call” and warned: “He may come back.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 5:12 pm

It's been known for some time how Trump had been planning to pull us out of NATO at the behest of Putin. Putin knows how to manipulate Trump by appealing to his ego and vanity, and he'll end our alliances even if in the end it would mean the betrayal of our long term friends, and possibly the end of free government in Europe. And then there's always the possibility that Trump is being blackmailed with the pee tape...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 5:20 pm

NATO is going to turn into an extension of the Trump crime family. If someone deletes Trump from the server nothing of value will be lost but many things of value might be saved.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 5:22 pm

Trump is a useful idiot for Putin and Russia.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 5:49 pm

That remark eliminates all doubt that ...Trump is both insane and traitor...out to hand over the world to Putin.

Even Trump appointees on the Supreme Court need to wake up to that ...and vote that Colorado was right. Trump should eliminated from all ballots (in Colorado and everywhere else) because he is obviously not fit for office.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 8:43 pm

Note that this is Trump telling us in advance that he would engage in treason if the opportunity presents itself.

So first, we need to be aware of how treason is defined under US law:

Quote:
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

As well as how the Supremacy Clause applies:
Quote:
This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

If Russia attacks a NATO member and Dementia Donnie encourages that he's adhering to an enemy and giving them aid and comfort. The gallows would be appropriate recourse.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

rpcarnell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2024, 8:50 pm

At this point, I am 100% convinced the US has a serious IQ problem. It requires a really low IQ population for Trump to still be relevant.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 8:57 pm

rpcarnell wrote:
At this point, I am 100% convinced the US has a serious IQ problem. It requires a really low IQ population for Trump to still be relevant.

I think the problem isn't one of intellect so much as a lack of critical thinking and lots of disinformation being peddled.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 9:00 pm

This is heartening news, given that China is America's largest creditor.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 9:06 pm

belijojo wrote:
This is heartening news, given that China is America's largest creditor.

Not sure where you're going with this observation.

OH!

I get it!

you're hoping that Trump will win...and that he will FORCE our NATO allies to pony up, and to pony up VIA....paying America's debts to China! By skipping the middleman and just directly paying China?????

Kinda like that time that I toyed with idea of getting a friend who owed me money to ...directly send her check to my credit card company. But I figured that that wouldnt have been feasible.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 9:20 pm

^That's what it means, but I'm kinda kidding.

Seriously, he's betting that the idiots in the electorate have enough seats to vote him in for president, just like last time.This is an interesting social experiment to test the loopholes in the existing American system.Perhaps it can prove the necessity of compulsory logic education from the opposite side.
As an outsider, I still watching it as a comedy, and the last joke is disinfectant water.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 9:39 pm

rpcarnell wrote:
I am an American and it boggles my mind how this guy even has supporters

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 12:28 am

:clown:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 12:30 am

This is why you no matter what you think of the Democrats got to vote for any Democrat running for national office. Don’t even think about 1. Voting for a third party candidate 2. Writing in a candidate. 3. Staying home. Puke for an hour afterwords if you need to but do it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 12 Feb 2024, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 12:35 am

in this nation at this time, the enemy of your enemy has got to be your friend.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 9:25 am

The best analogy I've heard about Trump and his cronies is comparing them to a sickness that has infected american politics. He and his supporter's views don't represent the views of the majority of americans. Americans need to exorcise this sickness and not be bullied by a minority who threatens violence if they don't get their way.