Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Feb 2024, 2:23 pm

What is your opinion on foie gras? Would you eat it? Have you eaten it? (If it's illegal in your country, have you eaten it abroad?)

I didn't have a problem with foie gras until I found out how it's made. I was horrified - it's literally torture. The geese involved in it basically only live so people can have their livers. Normally I do eat meat, but I draw the line at foie gras. There's no way in hell I'd eat it. I think liver is kind of disgusting anyway. (While most people in my generation never ate it, I've known older adults who grew up eating liver and onions - my generation probably remembers it best from being featured in an episode of Doug. Even that sounds better than foie gras.)

Foie gras is legal here in New York, but I heard it's illegal in several European countries (such as the UK, Italy, and Germany), as well as India, Argentina, and the state of California. It's still legal in France, where most foie gras is produced.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 2:30 pm

I've never even tried it before I didn't know what it was

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 3:23 pm

I've had it a long time ago, and at the time I thought it was good, but had no idea how it was made. I agree that it's cruel and I wouldn't eat it, but I have been vegetarian (pescatarian, actually, since I eat fish, and I also eat eggs and dairy) for over 25 years. (I actually think fish, dairy and eggs are also cruel, though not as bad as foie gras, but that's the compromise I've decided on.)

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 4:08 pm

To clarify, it's illegal to produce foie gras in the UK. You can still import it, i believe, unless someone wants to prove me wrong on that.

I did a brief stint reviewing 5* hotels and i did try foie gras once. I thought it tasted amazing. I didn't know how it was produced though and i wouldn't eat it again now i know.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 6:24 pm

Oh God no. Even without the nasty facts it looks disgusting.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2024, 10:49 pm

I don't have a problem with liver, chicken liver is a cheap and filling source of nourishment.

I do however have a problem specifically with foie gras, I've seen documentaries where the ducks are force fed in order to make the liver more fatty. I'm not vegetarian, but I cannot eat meat knowing the animal wasn't treated well while it was alive.

I'm not sure of the legality of the product here in Australia, but I wouldn't consume it if it was legal.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2024, 10:08 pm

I've had it and thought it was pretty good. Though, if I'm going out to eat I'm getting chicken wings.

vergil96
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2024, 3:23 pm

God, I hate liver, the smell is way too strong

I like a small piece of pate with liver (not all liver), but not liver but itself