Paranormal/Unidentified Creatures

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 11:03 pm

The mockumentary "Lost Tapes" added a lot of fear to my childhood,The Mothman impressed me deeply.
Has anyone here experienced paranormal activity?Or introduce me to a legendary creature with your local characteristics

There is a legendary creature in China called the Water Monkey.It is transformed from the soul of a drowned person who cannot be reincarnated.It looks like a monkey, lurking in the river, grabbing people's feet and drowning them, then steals that person's reincarnation qualification, and that person becomes a new water monkey

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2024, 11:06 pm

That moment when you're the water monkey and drown the local violent sex pest.

You'd be better off staying as the water monkey than taking their reincarnation qualifications. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 1:14 am

Yeah...be careful whom you drown. You might be trading down to worse karma! Lol!

Bestiola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Feb 2024, 6:49 am

belijojo wrote:
The mockumentary "Lost Tapes" added a lot of fear to my childhood,The Mothman impressed me deeply.
Has anyone here experienced paranormal activity?Or introduce me to a legendary creature with your local characteristics

There is a legendary creature in China called the Water Monkey.It is transformed from the soul of a drowned person who cannot be reincarnated.It looks like a monkey, lurking in the river, grabbing people's feet and drowning them, then steals that person's reincarnation qualification, and that person becomes a new water monkey

I'm afraid we're too boring here (Europe) to experience anything of the sort, we just have some legends of black queens, fairies, baba yaga and witches, like "The heroines of the stories, the witches who cook mysterious herbs and oils, smear themselves with them, fly or ride a servant to the top, devastate inns, dance witches' dances for hours, kill husbands and devour children... and engage in all sorts of other witchcraft and wickedness..."

Here nearby you can still find places where they were burnt at the stake.

But there is a good youtube channel discussing all things paranormal:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO6nDC ... ZRRb8YiDcA

if you have more stories of the paranormal in China (or anything mythical, or ancient), do share.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 7:10 am

:lol: It's funny to imagine water monkeys sifting through the freshness of the soul like a buffet.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 7:39 am

China is an ancient traditional society with ancient myths like your soul stealing water monkeys.

Native Americans (American Indians) have traditions equivalent to that. Mythical animals like the Thunderbird. But the mainstream US is a young nation created in the recent centuries of the modern age by immigrants so we dont have anything quite like that.

Nonetheless we do have a lot of supposed cryptids.

Our most omnipresent cryptid is Bigfoot. Bigfoot MAY or may not have antecedents in pre contact native American tales...but the similarities between the modern supposed Bigfoot and the "timber giants" in Native American stories has been hugely exaggerated.

Interesting that you tell us that China has something called a "water monkey".

In the US we have both "sea apes" and "sea monkeys". Not to be confused. :lol:

The "Stellar's Sea Ape" is an aquatic primate like animal five feet long that supposedly lives in the waters of the Aleutian Islands off of Alaska. Only seen twice. The first time was from the deck of a ship in the 1700s by the crew of the ship captained by Vitus Bering (the Danish explorer hired by the Czar to explore Alaska)and recorded by the German naturalist Stellar (who discovered many American plants animals and birds).

Wasnt seen again until 1965 when three people on a yacht saw one again in the Aleutian island waters in 1965 two centuries later.

The sea ape had no fore flippers. Could raise its body two thirds out of the water. And loved to entertain the ships crew with antics like juggling sea weed and chasing bread crumbs.

But years later back home when it came time to publish his reports Stellar scrambled to have the account of the sea ape deleted before publishing. Failed. It got left in.

Some say that the "Danish Sea Ape" (Stellar's official name for it) was a real new species. Some say it was a misidentified known species of sea mammal (Skeptical Inquirer says a female fur sea)l.

But I go with the theory that it was just an inside joke by Stellar who often was at odds with Captain Bering.

The "sea ape" had big side burn like fur about its face and a goatee, and thus ...happened to look much like Captain Bering. And captain Bering was the only Danish person on the ship, and Alaska is no where near Denmark (so why did Stellar name it the "Danish Sea Ape"?).. So I subscribe to the theory that this "Danish Sea Ape" was just Stellars way of making fun of his boss and letting off steam- and never meant to have that chapter of his notes put to press for the public.

The "sea monkeys" were a thing (an actual tangible thing) that American kids could actually send away for and own. Little critters with monkey like arms and legs that you would release into a fish tank and they would entertain you with monkey like antics.

They werent actually "aquatic monkeys" but brine shrimp collected in ponds in the desert west.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 8:38 am

funeralxempire wrote:
That moment when you're the water monkey and drown the local violent sex pest.

You'd be better off staying as the water monkey than taking their reincarnation qualifications. :lol:

Lmao.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 9:38 am

My favourite is the Loch Ness Monster.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 12:27 pm

belijojo wrote:
:lol: It's funny to imagine water monkeys sifting through the freshness of the soul like a buffet.

Or ...cooking a filet of souls.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 9:10 pm

belijojo wrote:
The mockumentary "Lost Tapes" added a lot of fear to my childhood,The Mothman impressed me deeply.  Has anyone here experienced paranormal activity?Or introduce me to a legendary creature with your local characteristics.  There is a legendary creature in China called the Water Monkey.It is transformed from the soul of a drowned person who cannot be reincarnated.It looks like a monkey, lurking in the river, grabbing people's feet and drowning them, then steals that person's reincarnation qualification, and that person becomes a new water monkey
When science has not currently explained an alleged event or an alleged subjective experience, the explanation does not automatically default to an extraterrestrial, paranormal, or supernatural cause.​

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2024, 10:22 pm

Fnord wrote:
belijojo wrote:
The mockumentary "Lost Tapes" added a lot of fear to my childhood,The Mothman impressed me deeply.  Has anyone here experienced paranormal activity?Or introduce me to a legendary creature with your local characteristics.  There is a legendary creature in China called the Water Monkey.It is transformed from the soul of a drowned person who cannot be reincarnated.It looks like a monkey, lurking in the river, grabbing people's feet and drowning them, then steals that person's reincarnation qualification, and that person becomes a new water monkey
When science has not currently explained an alleged event or an alleged subjective experience, the explanation does not automatically default to an extraterrestrial, paranormal, or supernatural cause.​

Yes, now people think that water monkeys may be water plants.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 5:56 pm

I've been reading up on Canadian folklore and it seems that every province that has lakes has its own version of the Loch Ness Monster. There's even a creature called "Mussie", which supposedly lives in Muskrat Lake in Ontario. People have said that looks like a walrus, or a sturgeon, or a three-eyed version of the Loch Ness Monster. Personally, I don't think either of them are real.

The North American House Hippo, on the other hand... :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 7:24 pm

Link to Skeptical Inquirer Article 

Bigfoot Was Investigated by the FBI. Here’s What They Found 

DNA Study Proves Bigfoot Never Existed 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 7:53 pm

belijojo wrote:

Probably a way to scare little children from playing too close to water.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 7:56 pm

belijojo wrote:

Yes, I had a run in with shadow man. He was trying to strangle me in my bed.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 11:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
belijojo wrote:

Yes, I had a run in with shadow man. He was trying to strangle me in my bed.

Do you think it's certain that it was a supernatural event and not sleep paralysis?