Paranormal/Unidentified Creatures

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 11:48 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
The North American House Hippo, on the other hand... :)

We've all seen videos of the house hippo making nests from dryer lint and eating potato chips that were left out over night. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 2:02 am

belijojo wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
belijojo wrote:
Has anyone here experienced paranormal activity?Or introduce me to a legendary creature with your local characteristics

Yes, I had a run in with shadow man. He was trying to strangle me in my bed.

Do you think it's certain that it was a supernatural event and not sleep paralysis?

Yes this has been debated in the media, people meet shadow man while sleeping and typically he holds them down and they can't breath after which they scream.fight and then they wake up.

I had a dream, I entered a mansion and it had endless rooms which opened to other rooms and non-stop corridors. Eventually I came a to a bedroom and since I feeling nausea lay down, out of the corner of the room shadowman appeared (from the shadows) and held me down and strangled me. He pushed me on my chest but I could not breath,. I screamed and fought him off, he vanished in a puff of smoke and I was in my bed at home woken up.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 2:47 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I've been reading up on Canadian folklore and it seems that every province that has lakes has its own version of the Loch Ness Monster. There's even a creature called "Mussie", which supposedly lives in Muskrat Lake in Ontario. People have said that looks like a walrus, or a sturgeon, or a three-eyed version of the Loch Ness Monster. Personally, I don't think either of them are real.

"House hippo"? Thats new to me.

But every lake in the temperate zone and tropics world over seems to have its "monster".

Lake Victoria in Africa had a long reptilian serpentine "monster" much like "Nessie" in Scotland. And like Nessie it swam in undulating humps. It was actually seen by Teddy Roosevelt on a safari.

He shot one of the monster's "humps". The other humps vanished...but they retrieved the remaining wounded "hump" which turned out to be a dead otter cub (the line of humps were obviously not one long creature, but a family of otters swimming in line).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 3:49 am

naturalplastic wrote:
[
But every lake in the temperate zone and tropics world over seems to have its "monster".

One theory is that these are historic memories from millennia ago when megafauna still lived on earth that persist as stories passed down. But then again...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 4:04 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
One theory is that these are historic memories from millennia ago when megafauna still lived on earth that persist as stories passed down. But then again...
What kind of mindset promotes a global monomyth to the exalted status of a theory?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 4:59 am

naturalplastic wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
I've been reading up on Canadian folklore and it seems that every province that has lakes has its own version of the Loch Ness Monster. There's even a creature called "Mussie", which supposedly lives in Muskrat Lake in Ontario. People have said that looks like a walrus, or a sturgeon, or a three-eyed version of the Loch Ness Monster. Personally, I don't think either of them are real.

"House hippo"? Thats new to me.

Lake Victoria in Africa had a long reptilian serpentine "monster" much like "Nessie" in Scotland. And like Nessie it swam in undulating humps. It was actually seen by Teddy Roosevelt on a safari.

He shot one of the monster's "humps". The other humps vanished...but they retrieved the remaining wounded "hump" which turned out to be a dead otter cub (the line of humps were obviously not one long creature, but a family of otters swimming in line).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 5:22 am

Well...

I am convinced!

Birds are not real.

But house hippos ARE! :D

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 5:46 am

Years ago, people around my neighborhood claimed to had spotted doppelgangers of me when I was young twice.

Apparently holding a knife on someone's door apparently menacingly looking at other kids, and apparently being at a top of a garage roof in a middle of a storm while wearing all white dress...

Well, sure. :lol:
I get unintentionally scaring people in broad daylight without doing any spooky getup; but at least I'd be there and know that happened, laugh at loud at them AND proudly admit it if the stories get circulated -- as opposed to suddenly hearing them I'm elsewhere.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Bestiola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2024, 8:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
[

interesting. there are some other theories, such as “monsters-as-anomalies” and “monsters-as-predators” alongside structuralist theory that claims some animals are simply "good to think with"...and some tried to reconcile conflictory theories aka anomalousness versus predatoriness: https://media.hal.science/ETHNO/hal-04307755v1

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 8:42 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Years ago, people around my neighborhood claimed to had spotted doppelgangers of me when I was young twice.

Apparently holding a knife on someone's door apparently menacingly looking at other kids, and apparently being at a top of a garage roof in a middle of a storm while wearing all white dress...

I get unintentionally scaring people in broad daylight without doing any spooky getup; but at least I'd be there and know that happened, laugh at loud at them AND proudly admit it if the stories get circulated -- as opposed to suddenly hearing them I'm elsewhere.

This is so cool! If it doesn't affect your life.......

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 10:44 am

Edna3362 wrote:

Maybe you had a great grandma who...died young...due to foul play. And now her ghost is seeking revenge! And her ghost has a...family resembelence to you! :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 10:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
[

The "megafauna" that shared the planet with our Ice Age ancestors did not resemble the reptilian dragon-like creatures reported as modern day "lake monsters".

The the furry mammalian wooly mammoths, cave bears, sabor tooth cats, rhinos, giant sloths, etc back then just didnt look like that.

And though some, but not all, of these lake monsters appeared in local ancient legends, folks (mistakenly, honestly, or dishonestly ) report seeing them in the present tense.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 3:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
What kind of mindset promotes a global monomyth to the exalted status of a theory?

Myths are often based on a kernel of truth

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 3:22 pm

Bestiola wrote:
interesting. there are some other theories, such as “monsters-as-anomalies” and “monsters-as-predators” alongside structuralist theory that claims some animals are simply "good to think with"...and some tried to reconcile conflictory theories aka anomalousness versus predatoriness: https://media.hal.science/ETHNO/hal-04307755v1

Yes i think conjuring gods to explain the sun and moon and thunder and cataclysms and conjuring monsters to explain things that go bump at night might well have happened.

One of the gaps is it does not explain is the consistency of speciific details like your hairy bigfoot which seems to be consistent across all cultures in all geographic regions across the world. Native americans were so convinced that sasquatch was just another critter so in between regular animals on totem poles would appear the head of bigfoot.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 3:32 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The the furry mammalian wooly mammoths, cave bears, sabor tooth cats, rhinos, giant sloths, etc back then just didnt look like that.

True that, but folk tales go back a long time. We do not know when communication began with humans? it now appears that neanderthals were capable of communicating with each other so oral traditions may go back prior to the dawn of humanity.

Of cause Plesiosaurs (the likely candidate for lake monsters) went extinct 65 million years ago when humans were mouse like mammals scurrying around the feet of dinosaurs. But we do not know if freshwater versions of this dino persisted into the megafauna times. Perhaps the rather hungry neanderthals came across these water beasts and slew them to access their tasty meat (I'm sure they tasted like chicken). I'm not sure but freshwater bodies don't retain fossils that well but yes, you would think things that big left remnants beyond the end of the dinosaurs?

Then of course there is the interdimensional theory where perhaps these critters can come and go as they please through portals in time and space from another dimension. Nessie might be pushing it but could explain the shape shifting skinwalkers terrorising folk in north America and the global presence of bigfoot.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 3:46 pm

The world in other people's eyes is much more interesting than mine.