Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 1:58 pm

I think it would just be a better policy to never raise a gun and point it at anyone Unless you Need to And Intend To Shoot, completely negating the purpose of giving any sort of trigger warning. At that point things have escalated to where someone needs to die in order for others to live sort of scenario. No sense in making announcements about it if it's what needs to be done as per training and/or self preservation. I know if I were ever in that scenario I can't imagine jeopardizing my own or others' survival by warning someone that I was about to pull the trigger.. if things have gone that far already; it's because they're going All The Waaaaaaaaay!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 2:04 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I think it would just be a better policy to never raise a gun and point it at anyone Unless you Need to And Intend To Shoot, completely negating the purpose of giving any sort of trigger warning. At that point things have escalated to where someone needs to die in order for others to live sort of scenario. No sense in making announcements about it if it's what needs to be done as per training and/or self preservation. I know if I were ever in that scenario I can't imagine jeopardizing my own or others' survival by warning someone that I was about to pull the trigger.. if things have gone that far already; it's because they're going All The Waaaaaaaaay!

Trigger warnings are like spoiler alerts, usually used on the internet, for content which may upset people due to the topic at hand.

I think you may have taken the term too literally.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 2:19 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Trigger warnings are like spoiler alerts, usually used on the internet, for content which may upset people due to the topic at hand.

Or I know exactly what it means and was just having fun with my reply.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 2:47 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Oh right, ha.

Fair enough! :)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 10:11 pm

I haven't used it myself, but there's a website that lets you check if a movie (or TV show or book) you want to watch has some particular content that you don't want to see: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

It started out as does a dog die in this movie, but now includes other topics as well.

I avoid TV (streaming) series that are advertised as "thrillers" because I don't like the anxiety, even if there is no violence. I want to see it even less if there is violence. I try to avoid watching anything that might be violent or cause anxiety. I prefer TV series to movies because anything can happen in a movie. In a TV series the main characters will usually survive (but not always). I watch crime dramas because they are like solving a puzzle, and the violence usually has already happened and is not shown: they usually start out with someone discovering a body, and then the detectives have to try to piece together what happened.

Trigger warnings are often used for particular topics, but not for upsetting violence in general, so I usually don't find them useful.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2024, 1:04 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

For what it's worth, I thought your reply was really funny! Don't hesitate to do it again if there's an opportunity - just fire away!