Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 10:08 am

My question here is do you think Trigger Warnings go too far or not far enough?

I'm kind of on the fence with this one because I tend not to get triggered by the things that you would expect to come with a trigger warning. But then I also get it that some people do do and have done in the past and this is the reason for a trigger warning.

Do you get what I mean though...

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 12:01 pm

I was reading an interview with someone a day ior two ago. Can't remember who it was but some movie or stage director or something.

He was saying he didn't like trigger warnings because he thought artists should have the right to surprise, shock and generally make their audiences uncomfortable if they choose.

I can kind of see that. There definitely a difference when a film or whatever suddenly goes dark or violent and you have no idea that it's coming. It's more like life when that happens.

But then again some people really don't want to be triggered and that's fair enough too.

So i don't know. There's a balance to be struck but i don't know where it is.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 12:08 pm

They can be helpful or unhelpful. Sometimes just reading about a trigger is enough to be triggering. I think they get over-used and also become meaningless. There are times when life will have risks that can't be avoided, and shielding oneself too much isn't the way to deal with them.

Relying on someone else to tell us something might be outside our comfort zone, causes its own problems as well. Personally I hate it when someone else has decided for me that something is too much for me to handle, because there are time where we only know where our comfort zone is by leaving it.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 12:14 pm

When it comes to movies, I always research them before I watch them these days. I had a really unpleasant experience that way once which affected me for weeks.

Some people don't like the use of trigger warnings and feel like the anticipation does more harm than good. I personally like them and haven't seen people go overboard with them. However, I only use WP, so I might not be the best person to ask.

It's impossible to know what will or won't trigger someone, but there are a handful of topics that are often triggering for those who have PTSD or who have experienced trauma. Having a warning for those specific topics, especially in threads where a person might not be expecting to see a trigger, is considerate IMO. Depending on the specific thread, a content warning in the title could be helpful too. Some topics that I think are triggering for a lot of folks are mentions of sexual abuse, torture, eating disorders, and suicide.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 12:47 pm

Most of the time I can read about anything and everything, without the need for trigger warnings.

If I am in an emotionally vulnerable state and read something disturbing or on a topic I don't like... I simply stop reading the passage after a couple of sentences.

I don't need trigger warnings.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 12:50 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Most of the time I can read about anything and everything, without the need for trigger warnings.

If I am in an emotionally vulnerable state and read something disturbing or on a topic I don't like... I simply stop reading the passage after a couple of sentences.

I agree - what can be disturbing for me is A/V media.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 12:53 pm

When I use trigger warnings, I don’t typically think that the content would be triggering to most people, just a handful, perhaps. WP doesn’t have that many users.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 12:57 pm

Trigger warnings do nothing to reduce negative feelings or anxiety. Despite the warning, people still read or watch sensitive material and then get upset about it

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 1:01 pm

^ Maybe it depends on the person. I avoid such content depending on where I’m at with my PTSD.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 1:28 pm

DanielW wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I agree - what can be disturbing for me is A/V media.

I suppose it might be more difficult to avoid in A/V media. I have physically jumped in scary parts of certain television programmes or movies or have been shocked at violence so much that my jaw drops, but typically that is as far as any emotional disturbance goes.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 1:37 pm

I get triggered by every day mundane things and you can't have trigger warnings on all of life.

I have hardly ever been triggered in social media or by movies etc.

I have put warnings on some of my posts but that's just out of consideration for other people or just in case it causes offence in any way.

I do sometimes think people seem to enjoy running around shouting about how triggered they are and I do sometimes wonder whether it has (in certain cases) become like a kind if a buzz phrase type of thing.

It worries me that it will become a bit like the boy who cried wolf sort of thing and at some point people will just start taking no notice

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 1:40 pm

babybird wrote:
I get triggered by every day mundane things and you can't have trigger warnings on all of life.

I have hardly ever been triggered in social media or by movies etc.

I have put warnings on some of my posts but that's just out of consideration for other people or just in case it causes offence in any way.

I do sometimes think people seem to enjoy running around shouting about how triggered they are and I do sometimes wonder whether it has (in certain cases) become like a kind if a buzz phrase type of thing.

It worries me that it will become a bit like the boy who cried wolf sort of thing and at some point people will just start taking no notice

I think trigger warnings are valid for PTSD and such, but there are definitely people who don't need to be shielded from particular topics, but want to be shielded anyway for whatever reason.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 1:43 pm

Oh yeah definitely for PTSD. That's just a living hell

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2024, 7:10 pm

I very rarely benefit from trigger warnings myself, so it's hard for me to appreciate the circumstances in which another person might find one useful.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2024, 11:06 am

Trigger warnings can be a good thing when used thoughtfully and sparingly. If used too generously it could make people get hypersensitive and end up feeling offended or upset by pretty much anything they don't agree with.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2024, 11:44 am

BillyTree wrote:
Trigger warnings can be a good thing when used thoughtfully and sparingly. If used too generously it could make people get hypersensitive and end up feeling offended or upset by pretty much anything they don't agree with.

Yeah that's what I think