Did you use to think you were the only one??

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 1:22 pm

I thought why do I have problems with things that most others do with ease? Must be because I am a weak person. Only one no, weak people group yes.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 3:36 pm

bee33 wrote:
I was always kind of baffled at how other kids seemed to know what they were supposed to do and I didn't. They just seemed to know what to say and how to act and they didn't blurt out weird things. I learned early on that it was very easy to say the wrong thing without meaning to, so it was safer to not say anything unless in a very familiar environment with people I knew well. So I was seen as "shy."

But I didn't think of myself as inferior or wrong, I was just puzzled by other people. I too was proud of being smart and logical and was happy with myself within my own mind.

A reason why I was "Too quiet" when in school.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 12:21 am

Was told to be quiet and Learn. So as long as they spoke on topic..Would do exactly that.....but if they went off topic , would just do the homework from the previous class.....Maybe I was the only one who was paying attn. :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 12:33 am

Jayo wrote:
Before you knew of your ASD diagnosis, or even knew what it was, did you think that you were the only one?
While still dependent on my parents, I thought there was no one else who had the same problems as I.  This was reinforced by my father, my teachers, and the school counselors . . .

"Why are you the only one who acts this way?" was the type of question they all asked.

"You want extra help from the teachers?  What do you think you are, SPECIAL?!" was the type of thing I heard from my father.

It was only after living on my own that I began to meet people like me, especially during the Dungeons & Dragons craze -- other gamers would relate stories similar to mine, and I think that is part of why we bonded so well.

I also think that making me feel that I was the only one with the problems I had was their way to "Blame and Shame" me into conforming to what they believed was 'normal' behavior.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 1:09 am

they [the usual authoritarian brassholes all my life] browbeat me chronically but i musta been immune to their persuasion but they did elicit acute dread from me.