When autism is more obvious in some than others!

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 11:54 am

A common stereotype is that females can mask there autism a lot better than boys. However I am sure there are a lot of males on the spectrum who can mask there traits as well.

What is your theory as to why in some individuals (such as myself) there autism presents itself in such an obvious way vs those who go undiagnosed for most of there lives?

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 12:12 pm

It's not a stereotype.

It's a proven fact.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 12:12 pm

I think the biggest reason why autism is more obvious in some than others is that autism is a spectrum.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 12:14 pm

I can link more, but the research clearly shows that women who mask their autism are not a stereotype.

Yes, men can do it too - but it is more commonly found in women since society expects us to be sociable creatures. Thus, due to masking, you have women like me who go undiagnosed until they are adults.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 12:17 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I think the biggest reason why autism is more obvious in some than others is that autism is a spectrum.

Is it because some of us have lower IQs or learning difficulties?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 12:27 pm

Jamesy wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

Is it because some of us have lower IQs or learning difficulties?

Sometimes but not always. People can have high IQs but have significant social difficulties.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 12:53 pm

honeytoast wrote:
I can link more, but the research clearly shows that women who mask their autism are not a stereotype.

Yes, men can do it too - but it is more commonly found in women since society expects us to be sociable creatures. Thus, due to masking, you have women like me who go undiagnosed until they are adults.

This is all true. I have read similar research in the past.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 1:13 pm

Hmm...

Regardless of IQ and gender;
It's relative to one's social self consciousness (you won't have a motivation or a reason to mask without it), emotional affect (you will struggle to emulate social behaviors and ideas related to it), physical movement (you cannot mask if you have severe dyspraxia), verbal fluency (you cannot simply mask primary language and communication difficulties), and internal self regulation (you simply cannot mask if you cannot self regulate or even have the ability to ignore your senses by constant stimming, or your if your thoughts or emotions are reactionary or stuck or/and without a filter).

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 1:34 pm

I try to avoid engaging in which group has it worse discussions. I am not in denial some groups have it worse then others but I have found most of the time these type of discussions lead to no good.

I will say this, men in general mask. It goes under the names hiding feelings and being macho. Being autistic means there is more of it to do.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 2:40 pm

I was told it is usually about intelligence. Those who are more intelligent usually deelop masking methods where those with lower intelligence don't. Is why the ones with lower I.Q.'s tend to be assessed as children while the ones who have high I.Q.'s tend to get assessed when they hit crises such as breakdowns or major burnouts later in life due to the long term effects on the mind through long term masking. Is when they then look for answers is when they discover autism.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 3:24 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
I was told it is usually about intelligence. Those who are more intelligent usually deelop masking methods where those with lower intelligence don't. Is why the ones with lower I.Q.'s tend to be assessed as children while the ones who have high I.Q.'s tend to get assessed when they hit crises such as breakdowns or major burnouts later in life due to the long term effects on the mind through long term masking. Is when they then look for answers is when they discover autism.

Guess I have low intelligence since I was diagnosed in 1992

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 3:50 pm

I have "Autism Lite" and I'm female, and one of the hardest things about it is that I worry people won't believe me if I tell them I'm autistic, because I don't do a lot of stereotypical things like rocking, stimming, chewing on objects, or eating chicken nuggets at every meal. I speak in complete sentences and show expressions and emotions. Seems those last three things are REALLY non-autistic. Never mind that I prefer being alone or with animals instead of humans, or wear practical clothing, or don't fit into most stereotypical female gender norms.

I worry that even worse, people will think I'm one of those many individuals on TikSchlock who are self-diagnosed and "think" they're autistic when they're really just being stupid and cringy. I worry they won't understand that I still have challenges even if I am (ugh) high functioning. And I HATE being misunderstood.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 3:57 pm

When I was with my peers in college autism was hardly ever mentioned to me. These days well it’s a totally different story.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 3:59 pm

This woman I know says my autism is obvious because “I am really well spoken” and she continued “Most people do not speak like that”

Heaven knows what she meant?

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 4:02 pm

While severity levels of autism differ in each of us, I feel that NTs who recognize more readily traits in us that probably escape perception from others might have known somebody from their life experiences who had some level of autism. People that try and use that knowledge to their advantage I call predators.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 4:05 pm

Aspinator wrote:
While severity levels of autism differ in each of us, I feel that NTs who recognize more readily traits in us that probably escape perception from others might have known somebody from their life experiences who had some level of autism. People that try and use that knowledge to their advantage I call predators.

Do you think autism has become more well know since 2008/2009?