honestly tired of my autism being dismissed

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 8:57 pm

Have you ever explained your symptoms to people and they just get dismissed?

"That's normal."
"I do that too!"
"Just try harder and act like an adult."

Like, yeah, I get that when I talk about having meltdowns and what they feel like specifically as an autistic person working a customer facing job, to you it might just seem like what a neurotypical retail employee experiences: mild to moderate anger at customer nonsense.
But no. When I say I have meltdowns, I mean I feel like a volcano under tremendous amounts of pressure and I will either shut down or start crying right in customer's faces unless given relief. I am angry, yeah, full of rage even, but the experience is so much more than just being angry. I wish I could articulate how mind numbingly extreme it is.

I promise you that meltdowns are not just being pissed and wanting to snap at the customer for copping an attitude.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 9:28 pm

Unfortunately that is the usual situation in that your boss and customers are totally clueless.
Autism is too hard for most people to understand.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2024, 9:28 pm

Autism is often misunderstood by neurotypicals.

A lot of them just base their ideas of autism on stereotypes, or someone with autism that they know.