School permission slip to listen to black authors

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 7:50 pm

A school in Florida has made a bizarre requirement that students going to listen to a black author complete a permission slip. Parents at Coral Way K-8 Center, a Miami-Dade County public school, who were asked to sign permission forms so their children could participate in a Black History Month activity.

According to a copy of the form obtained by CNN, parents were asked if they would give permission for their child to participate in a "Read Aloud," which was described as an activity where "students will participate & listen to a book written by an African American." (I am not kidding)
https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/miam ... -activity/

Students unable to submit a signed form would be not permitted to attend the event. One parent. Walter said,"I was a bit shocked. This is the first time that I've experienced this for school activity," Walter said. "My first reaction was, 'Let me share this with other parents and other people and get their perspective.'"

Walter posted an image of the permission slip he received on X, but didn't share the name of the school, he said, to avoid backlash. The post has at least 13 million views and has been reposted over 6,000 times as of Thursday, with some commenters expressing shock, confusion, and anger that the school required the permission slip.

Florida governor Ron De Santis's Stop WOKE Act has limited what can be taught about race and racism in schools.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2024, 8:15 pm

(Sigh) Only in Florida.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 4:38 am

“They don’t gotta burn the books they just remove ‘em”.. More relevant now than ever

Rage against the Machine - Bulls on Parade -February 9, 1996

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 5:08 am

Miami-Dade is overwhelming Hispanic. Most of the Cuban emigres and later Latin Americans changed the demographics there decades ago.

Interesting in a way, that it's this county of all counties...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 1:47 pm

It'd these sorts of things that must make the world roll their eyes and think "These are not serious people.. how could Americans be in charge of so much on the global stage? Ridiculous."

So many little things add up to huge embarrassments and ultimately a damaged reputation.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 5:49 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
how could Americans be in charge of so much on the global stage? Ridiculous.".

$$ + Nuclear weapons

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 5:50 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Miami-Dade is overwhelming Hispanic. Most of the Cuban emigres and later Latin Americans changed the demographics there decades ago.=.

Raises more questions than it answers.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Feb 2024, 9:07 pm

Quiet as it’s kept a large percentage of Latinos notoriously hold deep seated anti-black views. It’s ingrained in Catholicism. But well disguised. Especially white Cubans and Mexicans. Yes there are white Latinos. Even the darker ones consider themselves white. Hispanic/Latino is a culture not a race. It’s similar to calling someone an American. Doesn’t divulge their race. Have lived among them most of my life and I know what I’m talking about. To uplift the race means marrying someone white presenting. In CA they were considered white until Affirmative Action. Then they campaigned to be “minorities” to take unfair advantage of the law. I’ve heard more anti-black racism from Mexicans than I ever have from whites. Black people need to know the majority of Latinos are not your friends, they’re opportunists. Say one thing to your face and worse things behind your back.
White Cubans were allowed to come to US unchecked because of their racist attitudes and to subvert and weaken the black vote in Florida and to a lesser extent Mexicans in CA for the same reason. Tactic has worked well. Nixon and Reagan knew what they were doing when they courted latino voters. Reagan gave 3 million illegals amnesty to thank them.
Latinos used to pretend they can’t be racist because now they’re “minorities” too. That charade doesn’t work any longer. Most of them don’t even put up the effort of hiding their racism anymore.
Some even get caught on a hot mic in a CA council meeting talking anti-black racist trash. Not an aberration. Business as usual.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 10:07 pm

Florida looks like a good state to stay away from.