Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

utterly absurd
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2024, 7:50 pm

I am very much a night person. I work best after it's dark and ideally I'm up until after midnight.
However, school/work usually requires me to get up early and go to bed early. If I have to get up early enough, I will always be tired in the morning regardless of when I go to bed. And even if I try to go to bed early, I usually can't sleep because my body wants to be up later.
I once had a summer job that required me to wake up at 5am every day. I accomplished very little when I got to work because I wanted to still be in bed (even if I had slept 8 or 9 hours). I think if companies made an effort to fit people's schedules to the times of day they work best, everyone could be a lot more productive at their jobs.
In short, I am a night person and I hate mornings.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 7:53 pm

Morning

I wake up at 5am and start work at 10 am

Usually in bed 9pm

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 8:17 pm

Iris.Ell wrote:
The cortisol levels are one thing. It really depends on so many factors. Have you tried magnesium? have you checked your vitamin D? Your iron levels? Are you exposed to any sort of noise/radiation?
...as long as you find what is causing it..

I had the same problem, it changed by raising my iron levels (you need folate and vitamin c as well to work ). But I started also bone broth and protein to utilize the iron intake.

So, I would start by making a thorough investigation in your blood exams first.

Still, I hate mornings-even worse if you have not slept well!

I did a thorough study of my nutrition intake a year or two ago. Vitamin D was low, so I started taking a supplement, but didn't feel any better for it. Magnesium intake was adequate, so was iron, folate and vitamin C. I checked every nutrient under the sun and supplemented everything that appeared necessary, but even after several months I noticed no health benefits at all.

That was all assuming my absorption was normal. It makes sense to get a barrage of blood tests, but in the USA they'd want money for that, which I don't have, and in the UK the NHS wouldn't be interested because I'm not ill enough to warrant them spending money on me. My ailments are all pretty sub-clinical, and they'd likely say that at my age I can't expect to feel great all the time.

I have a noisy neighbour, but I play an mp3 of rain and thunder to drown him out, and I find it relaxing to hear that. And I've lived in quiet places without feeling any better. As for radiation, I don't see how I'd know. There's nothing obvious in that category, and again I've moved house several times without any noticeable change to my health.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2024, 8:32 pm

I'm an evening person. I do most of my arts and crafts in the evening. My favourite show is also on at 10 in the evening. I go to bed at 11:30 and I'm up at 6:30 in the morning.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 3:11 am

Morning and night, meaning the entire time it's dark.

Sunset until sunrise.

After midnight it's technically morning.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 3:21 am

Technically, it's morning right now. But being up all night makes me feel guilt. But what doesn't make me feel guilt?

Iris.Ell
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Feb 2024, 4:02 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Technically, it's morning right now. But being up all night makes me feel guilt. But what doesn't make me feel guilt?

Are there things that you "ought" to be doing in the morning and you are not? Plus, I reckon that it is very easy to feel the guilt if you already have the impostor syndrome plus the fatigue and tiredness.

Iris.Ell

18 Feb 2024, 4:12 am

>>I did a thorough study of my nutrition intake a year or two ago. Vitamin D was low, so I started taking a supplement, but didn't feel any better for it. Magnesium intake was adequate, so was iron, folate and vitamin C. I checked every nutrient under the sun and supplemented everything that appeared necessary, but even after several months I noticed no health benefits at all.

Okay. Your vitamin D level is very important, try to supplement again with MK7 (K2) which makes it better to absorb . Even better, get some sun in the morning.

I would say the menopause but you are a man so that's out.

It's also your psychology that counts, do you have depression? Although, even if you aren't , if you don't sleep well it can make you depressed.

Have you checked for conditions of the thyroid, for chronic fatigue, for fibromyalgia (if you also have pains in your muscles). Those exams where I live, are not too expensive, but I feel for you if you are a US citizen.. :cry:

Yes, you need a general health examination, it might even be your oxygen levels (lungs), or your heart condition.

PS. You can check radiation by a radiation meter that you can easily buy or a phone app. I doubt it it is that in your case.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 1:17 pm

Night person. Probably genetics since a lot of my family is that way.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 1:19 pm

Night. Probably genetics since a lot of my family is that way.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 6:00 pm

Iris.Ell wrote:
Your vitamin D level is very important, try to supplement again with MK7 (K2) which makes it better to absorb . Even better, get some sun in the morning.

Luckily I routinely eat a lot of spinach, which gives me plenty of K1. AFAIK the exact type of K isn't considered important. You're right that I should find a way of getting more vitamin D again, and a new bottle would only cost me $9.27 for a year's supply.

Quote:
It's also your psychology that counts, do you have depression? Although, even if you aren't , if you don't sleep well it can make you depressed.

I've been sleeping quite well usually. I'm not clinically depressed but I do have times when I may qualify as subclinically so, though I've seen no strong correlation between how I feel physically in the mornings and how depressed I am.

Quote:
Have you checked for conditions of the thyroid, for chronic fatigue, for fibromyalgia (if you also have pains in your muscles). Those exams where I live, are not too expensive, but I feel for you if you are a US citizen.. :cry:

I'm a UK citizen who lives in the USA a lot. There's virtually no spare money, so such checks are pretty much unaffordable for me in the USA even if they're relatively cheap, though if I had information strongly suggesting one of those conditions was the culprit, I'd want to prioritise the relevent test in my budget. And if I could present my data to the UK NHS, I might be able to get them to co-operate with a test, but there'd likely be a long wait and I might well have returned to the USA by the time it came up. I don't suffer from muscle pain and I don't feel abnormally fatigued in general. Even first thing when I wake, I'm in the habit of almost bouncing out of bed.

Quote:
Yes, you need a general health examination, it might even be your oxygen levels (lungs), or your heart condition.

I gather they do such things a lot more in the USA, where as I've said, I can't afford them. In the UK, the NHS doesn't seem to bother much, except for the occasional specific ailments when they've got a bee in their bonnet and they invite everybody in for a particular test. Blood tests for a whole shebang of problems doesn't seem to be in their routine, and they've never invited me to have that. Back in the day, there was a strange paradox that although the USA over-treats and the UK under-treats, and the USA healthcare spend per citizen was double that in the UK, the UK scored better for health than the USA did. But these days the NHS is more cash-strapped than ever, so I don't know if that's still the case.

Quote:
PS. You can check radiation by a radiation meter that you can easily buy or a phone app. I doubt it it is that in your case.

Again, it would be hard for me to justify the expenditure to check for something that seems unlikely to be a problem. But thanks for your ideas.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2024, 7:46 pm

I have a routine where I get up early for a 2 mile walk every day; I like to do that before sunrise. So that more or less determines that I need to be a morning person. I've sometimes worndered if I could as happily be a night person, but the routine where I need walk in the dark as the start to my day leaves me little room to experiment.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 8:31 pm

Always been a night owl. When I was a kid, it took me like 2 hours every single night to fall asleep. And there were no portable screens back then to distract me.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2024, 11:00 pm

Iris.Ell wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

Are there things that you "ought" to be doing in the morning and you are not? Plus, I reckon that it is very easy to feel the guilt if you already have the impostor syndrome plus the fatigue and tiredness.

There's really nothing I have to do in the morning, I just hate going to bed early and I live in a world where people think jobless, childless, spouseless night owls are lazy and worthless.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2024, 3:55 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Iris.Ell wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

There's really nothing I have to do in the morning, I just hate going to bed early and I live in a world where people think jobless, childless, spouseless night owls are lazy and worthless.

I don't think anybody as judgemental as that knows that I don't get up till noon. The irony is that I went through a phase of so-called "terminal insomnia" where you wake up early and can't get back to sleep so you have to get up. In my case I was waking at around 7am, which many would have admired me for. But I deserved no credit for it because I couldn't help it. Judgemental people are so stupid.