What do you think of the Romani/Gypsy people?

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

traven
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 3:40 am

well, here you have gypsies (not) and Gens du voyage- traveling people

i don't know why one should have an 'opinion', that's such an 'american' thing, maybe?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 9:15 am

cyberdad wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
There are some gypsies in the area that I live in that seem to pass by every so often. I don't know if they are Romani or what but they have never given me any trouble.

The UK has travellers as well, they roam around in painted horse/buggies like gypsy caravans of old.
But I am not sure they are actual gypsies though.

I think most people would just call them gypsies, even if that it not the correct technical term. :nerdy:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 9:20 am

Honey69 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Irish Travellers aren't Romani, even if they have some social similarities.

Interesting. Back during the 1930s, there were hobos in the US, but they weren't a separate ethnicity.

It seems almost odd to me that the US doesn't seem to have any sort of traveller or gypsy like communities, regardless of origin.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 11:00 am

There was a movie Nomadland

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9770150/

about people who wander around the country, living in trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMAQwWJYQtI

So, I guess the hobos have come back--just not riding on freight trains.

Not really a separate ethnicity--just people who are poor or who want to travel around.

If I wanted, I could buy a trailer and join them. Which seems to be different from, for example, the Irish Travellers, where you have to have been born an Irish Traveller, as far as I can tell. :scratch:

I guess that there are people of Romani descent who live in various cities, but I don't think that they continue to follow the lifestyles of their European ancestors.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 9:08 pm

There are Gypsy communities in the US.
https://smithsonianeducation.org/migrat ... start.html

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 9:59 pm

Misslizard wrote:
There are Gypsy communities in the US.
https://smithsonianeducation.org/migrat ... start.html

It seems that most of them are no longer living as their fellow Gypsies in Europe do (or did). I've seen little stores set up to do fortunetelling (I don't know if the owners were Gypsies--possibly they were). But, if they're taking their children out of school, or if they are selling off their young daughters into marriage (as mentioned in the original video), I would think that they would get heavy and rather unfavorable news coverage.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 10:26 pm

There are Travellers in the US, but you don't hear much about them. Now that I think about it, at one point they were active in some sort of scam involving a technique for sealing asphalt driveways.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 10:49 pm

MaxE wrote:
There are Travellers in the US, but you don't hear much about them. Now that I think about it, at one point they were active in some sort of scam involving a technique for sealing asphalt driveways.

Yes, they have done that around here and a roofing scam.They show up at a home and say they have left over material from a job and offer a sweet deal.If I remember right they used old oil on the driveways and it washes off long after they are gone.
An elderly Aunt ( long deceased)
mentioned when she was a girl “ Tinkers” would come through in wagons and repair pots and pans and sell stuff but they never cheated anyone or caused trouble.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2024, 11:17 pm

at a desperate time in my life, i resorted to seeing a gypsy fortune teller [just outside the army base in northern virginia i was stationed at in the 80s] who only made me poorer and no wiser. when i was a kid there was a local gypsy family who went from door to door selling hand-hewn picnic tables and benches.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 8:13 am

An interesting video on the history of the gypsies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RxMZBLeqRI

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 8:56 am

I've never met any and I don't know much about them unfortunately. But I love fortune telling with playing cards which is an art often credited with the Romani people. :)

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 8:58 am

auntblabby wrote:
at a desperate time in my life, i resorted to seeing a gypsy fortune teller [just outside the army base in northern virginia i was stationed at in the 80s] who only made me poorer and no wiser. when i was a kid there was a local gypsy family who went from door to door selling hand-hewn picnic tables and benches.

I'm always happy to do your readings for free lol :wink:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 9:11 am

I remember being quite shocked when I was in Bulgaria and Romania how much people hated the Romany population. Serious racism, really ugly stuff was just very normal.

I guess because they're isolated they are seen as not contributing in the same way as settled people. i.e. not paying local taxes (or any taxes) or investing anything in the local community, just moving through and taking what they want/need as they go.

I don't know anything about it, so I can't judge.

In the UK we used to have proper gypsies who were quite involved with the settled communities, they'd come through with fairs or offering services (blade sharpening for instance) or muster for trading horses. They were a tough bunch but they got on alright with everyone. I think that relationship is probably gone now and that's why in the UK at least, they're more isolated and we're more suspicious of each other and treat each other with less respect. The interactions I've had in my lifetime with 'travellers' have been almost universally unpleasant and threatening, the worst when I accidentally ran into a camp (it was in public woodland where I had every right to be) and was immediately set on by 5 dogs which bit me and then some people came out and told me to clear out sharpish.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 10:22 am

Yes...we have em in the US.

Yes...I have encountered them.

Yes...I have opinions about them. Contradictory strong opinions...based upon a particular experience.

After this particular experience...I am gonna be honest...they became the ONLY ethnic/racial group that I am prejudiced against.

But ...I also find them fascinating...and have been reading up on them, and collecting CDs of their music ever since.

So I am big fan of Gypsies/Roma and their culture. But I wouldnt sign a contract with any of them ever again. :lol:

I worked as a party deejay for a deejay company for years. One time used the boss's equipment do my own gig on the side ...working for a particular gentlemen... to do a wedding.

Didnt know/care about his ethnic background.

All I knew was that when I got to the motel venue and started djing ... it became obvious that I was in the midst of one of the STRANGEST subcultures in America. Dont know WHAT tribe these folks are, but my anthropology professor would have proud if I had studies these folks for a term paper!

A ten year old boy was dressed up in black stripped suit like a mobster...other young men were dressed in silk suits green or red with fedoras.

The young men all looked liked Hollywood versions of gangsters so...I figured this "must be the local chapter of the Sicilian Mafia", and that I stepped into the Godfather or the Sopranos TV show.

And indeed there was evidence that the patrons were involved in illegal activities ... because some wielded huge wads of cash.

But as the night wore on...things got weirder. I became convinced that "these folks are way too weird to be the Sicilian Mob". Theyre sumpin else.

The children were all thieving monkeys...just brazening sticking their hands on my equipment ...flipping switches. AND stealing tapes and CDs. The adults did nothing to restrain them.

Their taste in music was distinctive too. The demanded "no rap" and "no country". Which I was cool with because I would get tired of those genres myself then. The young folks wanted techno, and the young and old all wanted classic soul, funk, and disco. Which I dig too. Classic Black music. But ...oddly...into that mix ...they wanted the occasional piece of "flamenco rock"(my term) from Europe like...Gypsy Kings, or Alabina. Which I like too, but it seemed like a nonsequitar.

When the party was over they all vanished ...leaving the place a mess. As I packed my own equipment the guys who ran the hotel told me that "they agreed to clean up the place as part of the contract...but they stiffed us".

Charming folks them.

The next day I told my family about the odd evening...we all deduced that this subculture I had witnessed "must have been Gypsies".

==============
Years later I was reading a Nat Geo article. The reporter talked about the ethnic rivalries in the Balkans. In the Transylvania province of Romania you have both Romanian speakers, and Magyar (Hungarian) speaker. And both groups hate each other. But they would tell the reporter that "both Magyars and Romanians hate Gypsies more than we hate each other". When asked why...a lady listed reasons that included "their children are thieving monkeys".

Much as I disaprove of all that petty hatred between Magyars, Romanians, and Gypsies...I gotta be honest. The Roma here in the US are also what that lady said-fail to restrain their kids. So I have some sympathy for that lady..

So ...now that I have made my honest confession about my own prejudice...I will move on to...talking about how interesting the Roma are...and about how yes...they have had tragic history of being persecuted.

And how I LOVE their taste in music. A big dose of old school funk mixed with a little Gypsy Kings makes a great playlist! :D

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 11:22 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Yes...we have em in the US.

Yes...I have encountered them.

Yes...I have opinions about them. Contradictory strong opinions...based upon a particular experience.

After this particular experience...I am gonna be honest...they became the ONLY ethnic/racial group that I am prejudiced against.

But ...I also find them fascinating...and have been reading up on them, and collecting CDs of their music ever since.

So I am big fan of Gypsies/Roma and their culture. But I wouldnt sign a contract with any of them ever again. :lol:

I worked as a party deejay for a deejay company for years. One time used the boss's equipment do my own gig on the side ...working for a particular gentlemen... to do a wedding.

Didnt know/care about his ethnic background.

All I knew was that when I got to the motel venue and started djing ... it became obvious that I was in the midst of one of the STRANGEST subcultures in America. Dont know WHAT tribe these folks are, but my anthropology professor would have proud if I had studies these folks for a term paper!

A ten year old boy was dressed up in black stripped suit like a mobster...other young men were dressed in silk suits green or red with fedoras.

The young men all looked liked Hollywood versions of gangsters so...I figured this "must be the local chapter of the Sicilian Mafia", and that I stepped into the Godfather or the Sopranos TV show.

And indeed there was evidence that the patrons were involved in illegal activities ... because some wielded huge wads of cash.

But as the night wore on...things got weirder. I became convinced that "these folks are way too weird to be the Sicilian Mob". Theyre sumpin else.

The children were all thieving monkeys...just brazening sticking their hands on my equipment ...flipping switches. AND stealing tapes and CDs. The adults did nothing to restrain them.

Their taste in music was distinctive too. The demanded "no rap" and "no country". Which I was cool with because I would get tired of those genres myself then. The young folks wanted techno, and the young and old all wanted classic soul, funk, and disco. Which I dig too. Classic Black music. But ...oddly...into that mix ...they wanted the occasional piece of "flamenco rock"(my term) from Europe like...Gypsy Kings, or Alabina. Which I like too, but it seemed like a nonsequitar.

When the party was over they all vanished ...leaving the place a mess. As I packed my own equipment the guys who ran the hotel told me that "they agreed to clean up the place as part of the contract...but they stiffed us".

Charming folks them.

The next day I told my family about the odd evening...we all deduced that this subculture I had witnessed "must have been Gypsies".

==============
Years later I was reading a Nat Geo article. The reporter talked about the ethnic rivalries in the Balkans. In the Transylvania province of Romania you have both Romanian speakers, and Magyar (Hungarian) speaker. And both groups hate each other. But they would tell the reporter that "both Magyars and Romanians hate Gypsies more than we hate each other". When asked why...a lady listed reasons that included "their children are thieving monkeys".

Much as I disaprove of all that petty hatred between Magyars, Romanians, and Gypsies...I gotta be honest. The Roma here in the US are also what that lady said-fail to restrain their kids. So I have some sympathy for that lady..

So ...now that I have made my honest confession about my own prejudice...I will move on to...talking about how interesting the Roma are...and about how yes...they have had tragic history of being persecuted.

And how I LOVE their taste in music. A big dose of old school funk mixed with a little Gypsy Kings makes a great playlist! :D

I admit I've often heard the stereotype about these people being notorious for being thieves and con artists...

I believe that every stereotype has a reason for existing. I mean let's be honest, here in the US while black people really do get treated like crap by our racist system AND they were used and abused for slavery, the fact is many of the poorer black communities (aka "ghettos" or "hoods" as they are known) really are lawless too. I know this because when my mom kicked me out and I was forced to live in a group home years ago as the only white guy in the neighborhood in Albany, GA I was exposed to some very unpleasant things about what it's like to live in an all black community. Really bad things that nobody likes to admit or talk about because it's taboo.

But regardless I don't hold anything against black people because I realize their situation is the result of years of slavery and racist segregation. But that said you'll never catch me living in an all-black neighborhood with a high crime rate ever again.

So I get where you're coming from with this.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2024, 4:32 pm

Ron Wood, guitar player in The Rolling Stones, is a gypsy. He comes from a family of Boat People and was the first in his family to be born on dry land. Other famous gypsies are Tracey Ullman, Yil Brynner and Richard Marcinko - the first commanding officer of SEAL Team Six. And as mentioned before Charlie Chaplin.