What do you think of the Romani/Gypsy people?

Page 4 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 11:46 pm

First thought was of the Romani faction in the game Rome Total War, but either way... IDK. For a specific person who talks about that heritage of hers occasionally, Chloe Roma is an interesting Men's Rights Advocate with her Roma Army ordeal. Not really a fan of tattoos or weed, but it's neat what she's trying to do generally. I don't have much opinion about Gypsies generally though, the stereotypical styles from whatever era look cool enough I suppose. Neutral overall, I don't know enough and haven't had any negative or positive experiences enough to generalize in this matter I suppose.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 11:47 pm

auntblabby wrote:
RedDeathFlower13 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
at a desperate time in my life, i resorted to seeing a gypsy fortune teller [just outside the army base in northern virginia i was stationed at in the 80s] who only made me poorer and no wiser. when i was a kid there was a local gypsy family who went from door to door selling hand-hewn picnic tables and benches.

I'm always happy to do your readings for free lol :wink:

and believe me buddy, i'm APPRECIATIVE :heart:

Hey Blabs! I have a dream I want you to interpret for me, I'll post it on your thread

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2024, 11:55 pm

Iamaparakeet wrote:
First thought was of the Romani faction in the game Rome Total War, but either way... IDK. For a specific person who talks about that heritage of hers occasionally, Chloe Roma is an interesting Men's Rights Advocate with her Roma Army ordeal. Not really a fan of tattoos or weed, but it's neat what she's trying to do generally. I don't have much opinion about Gypsies generally though, the stereotypical styles from whatever era look cool enough I suppose. Neutral overall, I don't know enough and haven't had any negative or positive experiences enough to generalize in this matter I suppose.

Gypsies as video game characters? they were the "fast and furious" of their era. Ever wondered why pirate costumes look so much like gypsy outfits? they were the first to sign up for sea voyages and ended up as sailors, pirates and slavers. Apart from horse trading in the colonial era their adventurous spirit saw them form gangs and secret societies. Peaky Blinders was about a gypsy gang in London. They may not have a great reputation today but they certainly have an adventurous spirit,

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 12:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
Iamaparakeet wrote:

Gypsies as video game characters? they were the "fast and furious" of their era. Ever wondered why pirate costumes look so much like gypsy outfits? they were the first to sign up for sea voyages and ended up as sailors, pirates and slavers. Apart from horse trading in the colonial era their adventurous spirit saw them form gangs and secret societies. Peaky Blinders was about a gypsy gang in London. They may not have a great reputation today but they certainly have an adventurous spirit,

That's cool.

I don't recall what special units the Romani faction had within Rome Total War, though I suppose I could look it up. What the heck? I can't seem to find it in either 1st or 2nd game. -_- Sorry. Thought it was there. IDK if that would be a Mandela Effect or just some other bad memory effect.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 5:45 am

cyberdad wrote:
bee33 wrote:
The Roma were singled out for persecution in Nazi Germany and many thousands were killed by the Nazis and all were considered "inferior" and undesirable (possibly as many as 500,000 were killed).

The Nazis were primarily focussed on what they perceived as the biological > cultural inferiority of the gypsies. One of the ironies is that the gypsies language is related to modern Rajasthani in northwest India and their language is one of the original "Aryan" languages related to Sanskrit. Indeed the gypsies have more cultural connectedness to aryans and swastikas (another sanskrit word) than Germans do.

Thats true. Like the Jews, the Gypsies were among the groups slated for extermination by the Nazis because of the Nazi creed of "Aryan racial supremecy". And that IS ironic that the Gypsies really ARE actual "Aryans" (ie have roots in north India in the zone of the Indo-Iranian "Aryan" language family speakers), and that the Germans themselves are not "Aryan" except in Nazi psuedo scientic fantasies.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 4:48 pm

Yes and gypsies are the last authentic aryans because they follow the same lifestyle as their ancestors (semi-nomadic pastoralists and horsemen). The aryans eminate from the Sintashta culture on the Russian steppes bordering central asia and were the first to domesticate the horse. The gypsies carry on the tradition and are today the best horsemen in the world.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 7:45 pm

I doubt that the Rom had that lifestyle the whole time since the Aryan migration into India- in an unbroken tradition.

They probably fell back into a nomadic lifestyle centuries, or even thousands of years, later.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2024, 8:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I doubt that the Rom had that lifestyle the whole time since the Aryan migration into India- in an unbroken tradition.

They probably fell back into a nomadic lifestyle centuries, or even thousands of years, later.

They seem to have maintained an unbroken tradition since they were first recorded leaving India around 500AD so why not earlier?. According to author Ralph Lilley Turner has theorised a central Indian origin of the Romani, followed by a migration to northwest India, as the Romani language shares a number of ancient isoglosses with Central Indo-Aryan languages in relation to realization of some sounds of Old Indo-Aryan. This is lent further credence by its sharing exactly the same pattern of northwestern languages such as Kashmiri and Shina
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... ani_people

What's interesting is the people of the Kashmir valley who retain the same lifestyle as gypsies called Kalash who are considered remnants of the first Aryans to enter India. They also practice a simple lifestyle associated with horses but also (like European gypsies) don't uniformly follow any conventional religion but do have basic deities reminiscent of the earliest indo-europeans.