Having a moment where I wish I were stupid.

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 2:38 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
And you hadn't able to decide?

Decide to upskill? Make more variety of experiences? Switch careers? Get prompted to get a goal and do it like a dare?

I get the indecision.
I don't know how much of a moment it is for you -- but to me, it happens again and again for no reason other than sleeping on it and waking up it's gone and my head is changed not for the better.

But this is about you.
Your above average lifestyle -- past from becoming your lifestyle baseline -- how much of a struggle was it to maintain?

Had you evaluated yourself that if what you have now is what you want and not just some idea society fed you?

Are you content to where you are now or you want more? Or, are you looking for a change?

Lack the confidence to decide and commit not because I don't think I'm smart enough to do whichever path I choose, but because once in a while my ASD symptoms get stronger and I make the kind of social mistakes that end jobs and that's completely confidence crushing. But, even my friend who's business I made social mistakes in that lost me my role there thinks I can do one or more of these higher more brain power utilizing aspirations that also happen to be more lucrative.

It's not about lifestyle At All. I'm very grateful to have the lifestyle I have thanks to my father buying a house at the right time and then paying it off. I don't care if I ever become a Millionaire. I don't care if I never have a fancy car. (my car is a 2013 Dodge Dart, base model. My motorcycle is a 1993 BMW. My van I'm going to sell is a 2004 from Japan. The truck is a 2010 Ranger.) I don't care if I never wear designer clothing. I don't care if I don't eat steak and lobster in a downtown restaurant. I don't care if I never fly around the world on fancy vacations. (I've never flown overseas anywhere - only took a flight to Vegas 19 years ago and over to Edmonton for a funeral.) Whether business consulting work or medical school (or one in order to earn the money to fund the other), neither is because I want to buy a penthouse downtown and drive a fancy car blah blah blah - I'd just really rather feel like I self actualized my potential and used what brain power I have to Do Something Good (that I'm interested in) with it vs. "settling," for sanding walls or film sets forever wondering if I Could have made it doing something else - the biggest something(s) I Could have done.

It's not much effort to maintain my lifestyle now. I can go months without working or earning any money an just float by living fine. If I had to go rent my own place to live then chances are my cost of housing would go up by multiple times in order to have space/storage for tools/sporting goods etc and then I'd have to work a Lot more and have a lot less disposable income so it would become a challenge to maintain or I'd simply have a much lower lifestyle. But because I have an inexpensive home, it doesn't take much to maintain living pretty good - especially since I don't have any dependents to feed or clothe etc. Some guy with a wife and a couple kids paying market price for housing but earning the same amount of money as me = poor af barely surviving. Given these special circumstances that most people don't have, I Do have many more options available to me.. like taking time to volunteer to go to work on some consulting projects shadowing a colleague of a friend of mine to see what I can contribute to their nerd work, see what I can do, see how it goes etc.. and also like working whatever job I work and then studying part time.. or making a switch to working full tilt in the summer building walls or film sets or solving business problems for bigger paycheques and registering for full time university through the school year. I just haven't Done any of those things yet.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2024, 5:14 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Edna3362 wrote:
And you hadn't able to decide?

Decide to upskill? Make more variety of experiences? Switch careers? Get prompted to get a goal and do it like a dare?

I get the indecision.
I don't know how much of a moment it is for you -- but to me, it happens again and again for no reason other than sleeping on it and waking up it's gone and my head is changed not for the better.

But this is about you.
Your above average lifestyle -- past from becoming your lifestyle baseline -- how much of a struggle was it to maintain?

Had you evaluated yourself that if what you have now is what you want and not just some idea society fed you?

Are you content to where you are now or you want more? Or, are you looking for a change?

Lack the confidence to decide and commit not because I don't think I'm smart enough to do whichever path I choose, but because once in a while my ASD symptoms get stronger and I make the kind of social mistakes that end jobs and that's completely confidence crushing. But, even my friend who's business I made social mistakes in that lost me my role there thinks I can do one or more of these higher more brain power utilizing aspirations that also happen to be more lucrative.

It's not about lifestyle At All. I'm very grateful to have the lifestyle I have thanks to my father buying a house at the right time and then paying it off. I don't care if I ever become a Millionaire. I don't care if I never have a fancy car. (my car is a 2013 Dodge Dart, base model. My motorcycle is a 1993 BMW. My van I'm going to sell is a 2004 from Japan. The truck is a 2010 Ranger.) I don't care if I never wear designer clothing. I don't care if I don't eat steak and lobster in a downtown restaurant. I don't care if I never fly around the world on fancy vacations. (I've never flown overseas anywhere - only took a flight to Vegas 19 years ago and over to Edmonton for a funeral.) Whether business consulting work or medical school (or one in order to earn the money to fund the other), neither is because I want to buy a penthouse downtown and drive a fancy car blah blah blah - I'd just really rather feel like I self actualized my potential and used what brain power I have to Do Something Good (that I'm interested in) with it vs. "settling," for sanding walls or film sets forever wondering if I Could have made it doing something else - the biggest something(s) I Could have done.

It's not much effort to maintain my lifestyle now. I can go months without working or earning any money an just float by living fine. If I had to go rent my own place to live then chances are my cost of housing would go up by multiple times in order to have space/storage for tools/sporting goods etc and then I'd have to work a Lot more and have a lot less disposable income so it would become a challenge to maintain or I'd simply have a much lower lifestyle. But because I have an inexpensive home, it doesn't take much to maintain living pretty good - especially since I don't have any dependents to feed or clothe etc. Some guy with a wife and a couple kids paying market price for housing but earning the same amount of money as me = poor af barely surviving. Given these special circumstances that most people don't have, I Do have many more options available to me.. like taking time to volunteer to go to work on some consulting projects shadowing a colleague of a friend of mine to see what I can contribute to their nerd work, see what I can do, see how it goes etc.. and also like working whatever job I work and then studying part time.. or making a switch to working full tilt in the summer building walls or film sets or solving business problems for bigger paycheques and registering for full time university through the school year. I just haven't Done any of those things yet.

What are the most recent changes in you so far? Why sooner to retire? Age?
How it is related to this 'moment' that you have now?

Would you believe that it will pass?

It's good to have a backup plan or a safety net.
Does this extend to your retirement plans?

Need a push to take initiative on the stuff you've yet to do? Or some signal or cue that says 'go!'?
Seems you also have other outputs too...

I wish I have a means to control my dysregulation. Like how you have the means to "control over symptoms".

The dysregulation I have feels like some sort of chronic illness that I cannot adjust to than AS itself.
It what affects how I deal with AS, my internal processes, my perception, my behaviors and therefore my performance and control of my choices.

I'm waiting for the day when someone I can just take or even do in routine that will change my life and finally be free of this cycle...
And actually able to live my best than feel stuck and uncertain.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2024, 12:22 pm

Sweet Pea hugs