Page 7 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 12:47 pm

Crowds haven’t arrived yet.Local store was busy the same as a bad weather event.One out of state license plate,Kansas.All the bottled water is gone.
Got behind people from Louisiana pulling a camper on my dirt road going slow.Bad etiquette on a back road, you pull over and let people by and don’t force them to eat your dust.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 1:29 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Our county is about to be invaded. Thousands of people are coming and will almost double the size of our county. They want to see a Solar Eclipse and it will pass right over us.

All the Porta Potties have been taken. My wife is trying to buy some solar eclipse safety glasses.

I don't understand doing that.

It gets dark in my county every night. I can see the dark without having to drive somewhere to see it.

Is it different where they come from?

On a typical evening, it gets dark there is a twilight where the sky is not totally dark, it is a bit lighter in the direction the sun sets. In a total eclipse that lighter sky is in the horizon in all directions. During totality when you can look at the sun there are spectacular effects.

I suppose that one reason why such things make little impact on me is my strong aphantasia. If I see it, I can enjoy it, but in less than n a second, it's gone, I cannot visualize it at all.

(The above is a valid, but temporary, e-mail address that is relayed to my real e-mail. If it starts getting spammed, I'll just remove it and create a new one and change the signature block. If you want to send me an e-mail, feel free to do so, but be aware that unless you are using something like this, your e-mail address will be exposed to me.)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 8:15 am

Every WP thread needs a musical soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/AopGsKIKMp8

https://youtu.be/9z-Mh9Qeinw

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 9:11 am

I came across an interesting article today. Remember the old saying Don't Drink and Drive. Well there is another saying we should be paying attention to:
Don't Eclipse and Drive

As celestial enthusiasts eagerly await the solar eclipse on April 8, Canadian researchers uncovered eye-opening insights into the eclipse's impact on road safety. Let's consider their findings as we gear up to witness this celestial marvel.

During the last solar eclipse in the U.S. in 2017, 20 million of us drove into the path of totality to view this heavenly event. This time around – on Monday, April 8 – the path of totality will travel through major cities, so we might not need the car; we might simply walk outside. Nonetheless, Canadian researchers using data from our National Highway Traffic Safety Administration looked at the three-day interval around the 2017 eclipse.

They found that 741 individuals were involved in fatal crashes during that interval. When compared to a comparable “control” interval, the time around the eclipse resulted in a 1.31 relative risk.

The risk is greater when the weather is clear, and also in an urban environment.

Now actually during the eclipse, there is a decreased risk; since most people are stationary to watch the show. But those periods just before and after come with heightened risk. So maybe plan to get to your preferred observation spot early and not be in such a rush to leave.

Source: The Solar Eclipse: Risks of Driving – Before, During and After

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 11:06 pm

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 11:13 pm

kokopelli wrote:
A niece of mine lives in the path of totality. They were pretty much right in the middle, but the predictions have shifted a bit.

The local school there is not having classes that day because they think it would be dark before some of the kids in the county could get home from school that day.

They are also suggesting that the locals who don't need to get out should get their shopping done early and stay home that day.

Fortunately, nobody is coming here to see the somewhat dark.

School is cancelled for something that will last four minutes?
I'm so confused by all the hoopla.

Is this different from the one in 2017?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 11:19 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
A niece of mine lives in the path of totality. They were pretty much right in the middle, but the predictions have shifted a bit.

The local school there is not having classes that day because they think it would be dark before some of the kids in the county could get home from school that day.

They are also suggesting that the locals who don't need to get out should get their shopping done early and stay home that day.

I thought the same thing when a friend in Maine posted something similar on fb. Uuuuh, wtf? School's closed ?? Like a kid can't walk home in the dark or whatever. Bizarre.. how exactly is a brief bit of darkness from a shadow going to pose a danger to kids ??? Sounds more like an excuse for teachers to take a day off.

But w/e, maybe it'll result in more people who are able to getting together to have a little eclipse viewing party and make some memories.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 12:20 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

That one happened on August 21st when a lot of schoolchildren were still on summer vacation.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 6:46 am

Time is getting close. We are at the edge of the Final Countdown.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 6:55 am

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 9:16 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

It’s because of traffic, so many visitors are pouring in.
No one wants to stuck in traffic with a whole bus full of screaming kids that all need to go to the bathroom.
In some rural areas that already have bad cell service it will likely go down.Police are using old hand held radios just in case.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 9:18 am

goldfish21 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

I thought the same thing when a friend in Maine posted something similar on fb. Uuuuh, wtf? School's closed ?? Like a kid can't walk home in the dark or whatever. Bizarre.. how exactly is a brief bit of darkness from a shadow going to pose a danger to kids ??? Sounds more like an excuse for teachers to take a day off.

But w/e, maybe it'll result in more people who are able to getting together to have a little eclipse viewing party and make some memories.

Major traffic event in areas that only have two lane roads.Kids could get stuck on the bus for hours.I sure wouldn’t want to be stuck in traffic with a bunch of kids.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 10:48 am

^Aah. That makes quite a bit more sense. Around here maybe 1-2% of kids take school buses - some "cross boundary," if schools are full or families move, others are all for private schools - and most of them are religious schools. But ~98% of kids live close to the schools they go to so Most can walk to school, yet there are ever more parents that drive their kids to school. (wtf?) but Almost All kids can simply walk or ride a bike/scooter to school. (It's crazy to me how many parents drive their kids to school when its only 6 blocks away or whatever.)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 1:50 pm

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 6:07 pm

Power went out today around noon, just came back on. No idea why, it had been windy but it usually doesn’t take that long to repair a limb on a line.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 9:54 pm