Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 11:38 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Neurodiversity is a new and evolving concept. As such there is not agreement about who or what it covers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 4:17 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Many schizophrenics had small incidents of psychosis in their childhood before the full blown condition happened, many disorders are there at birth but take a while to come out.

I would add that Schizophrenics have their own ND movement where they too sugar coat the condition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_V ... 20lifetime)%20and%20significant.

Some key points:

Quote:
The position of the hearing voices movement can be summarised as follows:[20][30]

Hearing voices is not in itself a sign of mental illness.
Hearing voices is part of the diversity of being a human, it is a faculty that is common (3-10% of the population will hear a voice or voices in their lifetime) and significant.
Hearing voices is experienced by many people who do not have symptoms that would lead to diagnosis of mental illness

Quote:
The international Hearing Voices Movement is a prominent mental health service-user/survivor movement that promotes the needs and perspectives of experts by experience in the phenomenon of hearing voices (auditory verbal hallucinations). The main tenet of the Hearing Voices Movement is the notion that hearing voices is a meaningful human experience.[

Quote:
The Hearing Voices Movement regards itself and is regarded by others as being a post-psychiatric organisation.[14][15][16] It positions itself outside of the mental health world in recognition that voices are an aspect of human difference, rather than a mental health problem.

Where have we heard all this before :roll: :lol:

So it looks like we are not alone in having these type of people in our community that reject logic & science

This whole thing is rather triggering, but really needs to be said. Sorry, not sorry.

Please do some actual research, or ask some of us that have actually had those issues, because this is just garbage. I have had all the diagnostic criteria met for nearly all the schizophrenia spectrum disorder diagnoses over the years, and this is an offensive correlation to make. Both, because most autistic people are able to manage to some degree in society, even if not at the level that our NT peers do, much of that is due to not knowing how to adapt things to ourselves in a way that minimizes the disadvantage. But, also, because there's nothing particularly mild about schizophrenia. The voices when they are there can be so loud as to make communication or attention impossible to maintain, and having to just act on faith that there are no monsters around you, and analyze everything that you're believing to see if it's reasonable or not is a lot of work.

I've also had the pleasure of talking with a schizophrenic that was mid psychotic episode and to a limited extent, I do see the point that he was a lot more in touch with reality than one might imagine. But, it was also a very dysfunctional and problematic way of experiencing the world and I doubt that he wouldn't have taken an effective treatment to make the psychosis go away, or at least be more manageable as the disorder pretty much destroys everything it touches. If you know what it is, then you can adjust a bit, but it's still tantamount to trying to run a time trial on a rocking boat while everybody else gets to do theirs on solid ground.

This whole bit of sugarcoating autism is also pretty offensive, you've got a different experience of it, I get it, but for the a significant chunk of the population, and arguably the most overlooked and under supported portion, that's just how it is for us. We can't get any sort of recognition or support because we're "not autistic" enough, and we're "not autistic enough" because there's a bunch of hardliners that absolutely insist that it's the autism that's the problem, rather than just certain traits or comorbidities. There is no legitimate reason why that position needs to be taken and for it to come from people who got their diagnosis and have at least some hope of support is rather problematic. Some of us have to fight to get a diagnosis and go through years of inappropriate medical treatment because we don't fit the stereotype.

EDIT: And BTW, while autism may be king in terms of terrible employment numbers, psychotic disorders are king when it comes to self murdering. That may improve slightly by destigmatizing it, but it's still just an absolutely horrible way of going through life and I feel extremely grateful that I just have the inconveniences of autism that can be managed, versus the ones with schizophrenia that are far harder to cope iwth.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7721561/

I never said Schizophrenia was mild or anything other than a horrible condition

The similarities in message with the Hearing Voices Movement and autism ND movement are striking:-

Autism:

Quote:
The autism rights movement, also known as the autistic acceptance movement, is a social movement allied with disability rights that emphasizes a neurodiversity paradigm, viewing autism as a disability with variations in the human brain rather than as a disease to be cured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_rights_movement

Schizophrenia:

Quote:
The Hearing Voices Movement regards itself and is regarded by others as being a post-psychiatric organisation.[14][15][16] It positions itself outside of the mental health world in recognition that voices are an aspect of human difference, rather than a mental health problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_V ... 20lifetime

As far as sugar coating is concerned given I've heard of schizophrenics driven to kill themselves because the couldn't stand hearing the demons in their head, i think its reasonable to consider the above statement would constitute sugar coating a horrible disorder.

Quote:
This whole bit of sugarcoating autism is also pretty offensive, you've got a different experience of it, I get it, but for the a significant chunk of the population, and arguably the most overlooked and under supported portion, that's just how it is for us. We can't get any sort of recognition or support because we're "not autistic" enough, and we're "not autistic enough" because there's a bunch of hardliners that absolutely insist that it's the autism that's the problem, rather than just certain traits or comorbidities

Its really the one size fits all approach the ND movement takes that's the problem even though there is no such thing as a single condition called autism.

But none of that would really matter if they got out of the way of things that they themselves don't want but others do like medical research & certain policy forming that effect others but not really themselves like employment for ID autistic people.

They also use "we" a lot when they make their divisive statements as if they were somehow given authority to speak on my behalf, unlike other groups for conditions that generally have everyone on the same page of opinion.

There's a whole lot more irritating things that I've mentioned previously but don't have time to go into right now.

- George Bernie Shaw

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2024, 6:58 pm

carlos55 wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Many schizophrenics had small incidents of psychosis in their childhood before the full blown condition happened, many disorders are there at birth but take a while to come out.

I would add that Schizophrenics have their own ND movement where they too sugar coat the condition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_V ... 20lifetime)%20and%20significant.

Some key points:

Quote:
The position of the hearing voices movement can be summarised as follows:[20][30]

Hearing voices is not in itself a sign of mental illness.
Hearing voices is part of the diversity of being a human, it is a faculty that is common (3-10% of the population will hear a voice or voices in their lifetime) and significant.
Hearing voices is experienced by many people who do not have symptoms that would lead to diagnosis of mental illness

Quote:
The international Hearing Voices Movement is a prominent mental health service-user/survivor movement that promotes the needs and perspectives of experts by experience in the phenomenon of hearing voices (auditory verbal hallucinations). The main tenet of the Hearing Voices Movement is the notion that hearing voices is a meaningful human experience.[

Quote:

Where have we heard all this before :roll: :lol:

So it looks like we are not alone in having these type of people in our community that reject logic & science

This whole thing is rather triggering, but really needs to be said. Sorry, not sorry.

Please do some actual research, or ask some of us that have actually had those issues, because this is just garbage. I have had all the diagnostic criteria met for nearly all the schizophrenia spectrum disorder diagnoses over the years, and this is an offensive correlation to make. Both, because most autistic people are able to manage to some degree in society, even if not at the level that our NT peers do, much of that is due to not knowing how to adapt things to ourselves in a way that minimizes the disadvantage. But, also, because there's nothing particularly mild about schizophrenia. The voices when they are there can be so loud as to make communication or attention impossible to maintain, and having to just act on faith that there are no monsters around you, and analyze everything that you're believing to see if it's reasonable or not is a lot of work.

I've also had the pleasure of talking with a schizophrenic that was mid psychotic episode and to a limited extent, I do see the point that he was a lot more in touch with reality than one might imagine. But, it was also a very dysfunctional and problematic way of experiencing the world and I doubt that he wouldn't have taken an effective treatment to make the psychosis go away, or at least be more manageable as the disorder pretty much destroys everything it touches. If you know what it is, then you can adjust a bit, but it's still tantamount to trying to run a time trial on a rocking boat while everybody else gets to do theirs on solid ground.

This whole bit of sugarcoating autism is also pretty offensive, you've got a different experience of it, I get it, but for the a significant chunk of the population, and arguably the most overlooked and under supported portion, that's just how it is for us. We can't get any sort of recognition or support because we're "not autistic" enough, and we're "not autistic enough" because there's a bunch of hardliners that absolutely insist that it's the autism that's the problem, rather than just certain traits or comorbidities. There is no legitimate reason why that position needs to be taken and for it to come from people who got their diagnosis and have at least some hope of support is rather problematic. Some of us have to fight to get a diagnosis and go through years of inappropriate medical treatment because we don't fit the stereotype.

EDIT: And BTW, while autism may be king in terms of terrible employment numbers, psychotic disorders are king when it comes to self murdering. That may improve slightly by destigmatizing it, but it's still just an absolutely horrible way of going through life and I feel extremely grateful that I just have the inconveniences of autism that can be managed, versus the ones with schizophrenia that are far harder to cope iwth.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7721561/

I never said Schizophrenia was mild or anything other than a horrible condition

The similarities in message with the Hearing Voices Movement and autism ND movement are striking:-

Autism:

Quote:
The autism rights movement, also known as the autistic acceptance movement, is a social movement allied with disability rights that emphasizes a neurodiversity paradigm, viewing autism as a disability with variations in the human brain rather than as a disease to be cured.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_rights_movement

Schizophrenia:

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_V ... 20lifetime

As far as sugar coating is concerned given I've heard of schizophrenics driven to kill themselves because the couldn't stand hearing the demons in their head, i think its reasonable to consider the above statement would constitute sugar coating a horrible disorder.

Quote:
This whole bit of sugarcoating autism is also pretty offensive, you've got a different experience of it, I get it, but for the a significant chunk of the population, and arguably the most overlooked and under supported portion, that's just how it is for us. We can't get any sort of recognition or support because we're "not autistic" enough, and we're "not autistic enough" because there's a bunch of hardliners that absolutely insist that it's the autism that's the problem, rather than just certain traits or comorbidities

Its really the one size fits all approach the ND movement takes that's the problem even though there is no such thing as a single condition called autism.

But none of that would really matter if they got out of the way of things that they themselves don't want but others do like medical research & certain policy forming that effect others but not really themselves like employment for ID autistic people.

They also use "we" a lot when they make their divisive statements as if they were somehow given authority to speak on my behalf, unlike other groups for conditions that generally have everyone on the same page of opinion.

There's a whole lot more irritating things that I've mentioned previously but don't have time to go into right now.

I seem to have misunderstood the point that you were making. It didn't seem as narrowly tailored as I now understand your point to be.

I do tend to agree with them that just the voices aren't necessarily a sign of mental illness any more than any other seeing things that aren't there due to imagination is. Which is a large part of why there are ore aspects considered than just that one.

It is important to note that there is a pretty significant difference between, this thing is part of the natural order of things, but sometimes it does get way out of hand, versus this thing gets way out of hand, but nothing more.

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2024, 7:21 am

funeralxempire wrote:
What_in_the_what_now wrote:
BillyTree wrote:
I am not Neurodiversity and can only speak for myself. I think Autism is what it is. It's something you are born with as a part of your personality. If you think your autism is a disorder then it is a disorder. Disorder or not - I think it depends on who you are and how you manage it. Some people are clearly disabled by their autism while others can turn some of their traits into useful strenghts. Schizophrenia is a mental illness with symptoms progressing and fluctuating over time. It's nothing you are born with and is treatable with medicine.

You're not born with Schizophrenia?

You're born with a predisposition, but the symptoms don't typically emerge until after puberty. There's often a prodrome period prior to more typical symptoms emerging.

Very-early onset schizophrenia does exist, but it's relatively rare.

uh-huh, how would explain that in the context of ADHD/ASD "The onset of the disorder occurs during the developmental period, typically in early childhood, but symptoms may not become fully manifest until later, when social demands exceed limited capacities."

ADHD has now moved the diagnostic criteria from pre 7 years to pre 12 years with arguments of adult onset.

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

02 Mar 2024, 7:24 am

BillyTree wrote:
The cause of schizophrenia is not fully known, but the disease is considered to be of multifactorial genesis with heredity and psychosocial stress as risk factors. Various stressors can increase the risk of developing the disease, such as: lack of sleep, malnutrition, alcohol or drug abuse, systemic diseases. Psychosocial stressors such as migration, exclusion, childhood trauma, unemployment and homelessness are known to increase the risk of schizophrenia.

This too, holds for ASD and ADHD (the main NDs discussed online). Arguably more so for presentations of ADHD that are usually unilaterally concluded.